- advertisement -

Too thin for a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Scoutjr, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

My DS is really skinny. Hardly any body fat. We went to a pump class today and they put an infusion set on him and he is complaining of pain. They put it on his lower back/upper buttock. We went to get school supplies afterward (he wanted to) and he was limping. Is this normal or is he being dramatic? They used an Inset 30. Could the angle be bothering him?

2. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

My son complained the first two days of feeling the site - I do remember him limping a bit too. We were told by our pump educator this was not unusual for the first couple of days, as it takes some getting used to. Jacob always wears his site on his bottom also; he's too lean to wear it in the abdominal area right now (he wears Quicksets, not the angled ones).

I'd give it a day or so unless it's really painful for him, or if it looks like the site is maybe getting infected.

Good luck with the pumping!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My son started pumping before he was 2. He was a tiny little thing and he did fine. You have to find a good spot. We use his tush and the back of his arms. He is still to thin for the abdomen but I wouldn't rule out pumping from this experience. We don't use angled we use inset 30.

I wore the pump before ds was on it and I will say I could feel it but you get used to it. Try different infusion sets and wear one yourself so you can see how it feels.

I won't say it's pain free but not a reason to dismiss pumping. Once he sees the freedom it gives him he might start to feel better about it.

Sorry he is limping it really breaks my heart that this is their reality. And I am sure he is slightly uncomftorabe it's something new. Hope things work out :)

4. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son is super skinny and pumps

My son is super skinny and pumps too. We use sites exclusively on top of his rear end. The one time I tried his stomach (no fat tissue there) he complained a lot.

You will find as you do your own sites that sometimes they hurt more than others. Sometimes my four year old barely notices, and sometimes he cries that it hurts. The soreness usually fades quickly.

Since we don't have the same pump or inserter as you, I can't be familiar with it, but you may want to ask around and see what sites other people with your size child use. Since we used medtronic revel, we use 6 mm canulas (NOT 9 - my husband with more body fat uses those) and we use mio inserters.

There are lots of different types and sizes so see what you have and ask around on this forum.

After 5 minutes or so, your son should be fine.

5. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

My son has little body fat and has only complained a couple of times that a site hurt, we changed it right away since it would be in for 3 days. We rotate sites from arms, legs and belly. We were trying really hard to get him to use his tush but he won't hear of it. He does all the insertions and can't reach back there and does not like the thought of us doing it for him. We use Sure-T's they remind me of thumb tacks but the needle is the same size as the needles we use with MDI and there is no inserter which why we started with them, the inserters scared Will. We tried a Mio and he liked those too, the inserter was intimidating but he got through it, however, he lost that site after swimming and we switched to MDI for the summer.

Pumping is life changing, more freedom to eat freely, easier to make adjustments. I'm really missing being able to change the basal at will. Will told us the other day though that he liked MDI because there wasn't any way anyone would know he had diabetes unless he wanted to eat.:( He said he would go back to pumping when school started to make it easier on his teacher, I told him he can do either way, it's his disease, his choice.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

There's really no such thing. Some sites have needles shorter than a syringe.

7. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

My son is super skinny and wears a pump. He puts most sites right on the fat part of his butt check. The dr. doesn't see how it doesn't bother him but he loves it there. We use Mios.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My daughter has been pumping for a long time without any discomfort with a regular Inset, but when she tried the angled set (Inset30) she said they hurt her a lot. She hated them.

9. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

My son is super skinny and the only place he can wear is site is on his bottom. We use the regular Inset 6mm, we tried the angled 30 and my son said those hurt him too. There are lots of different insertion sets, and he will also need some adjustment time. Good luck!

10. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I agree, I think angled sets are more uncomfortable to wear, especially if they're pushed on or bumped around. I would try a straight-in set and see if that helps.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son is very skinny...we can't "pinch an inch" anywhere! We started with the straight sets, but had problems with insulin absorption. When we switched to angled (inset 30s) he did scream the first time at insertion. We quickly started using numbing cream, and now he has no problem and no pain 95% of the time. Only once or twice in more than a year and a half of pumping has he had pain AFTER insertion...he's never limped. We always use the butt/hip area. When we tried the tummy, we had occlusion alarms, a site came out, and he did complain of pain after insertion then. We're sticking with the butt area until he fattens up a bit!;)

12. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

I have another super skinny kid. She is too think to put the site on her belly so we put it on her upper butt at the suggesting of her endo office. We use the angled sets and they seem to work well and she only complains when we first put them in. We don't use an inserter or numbing cream. Maybe it was a one off situation where it was just in at an odd angle (too deep and in the muscle) or hit something it shouldn't have?

13. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering if the angle had something to do with it. Perhaps we will try a regular inset (not sure of the term). He is complaining a lot less about it today, says he hardly feels it now. But I promised him I would take it out a few hours before we are technically "supposed" to remove it (11 am vs. 4pm). I don't think that will make too much of a difference?

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We use steel sets. My son is also very skinny, and we've only used the uper tush area so far. Sometimes if we don't pinch the skin a bit before insertion, he complains he feels the needle, and it hurts him. Usually the pain goes away. But these occasions are rare.

Try the shortest needle and try pinching a bit of the skin before inserting the needle in.

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

I think his reaction is perfectly normal for a kid starting on a pump. Knowing you've got this foreign body sitting under your skin is not normal. I'm sure he'll get used to it.

My son is still very thin. There's still not enough fat to use his tummy. We use his thigh. Apart from sometimes the initial insertion he never complains about the sites. He doesn't know anything else.

And as for too thin for a pump. I don't think they come much thinner than my son when we started him on his pump.

16. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

Thanks again everyone. We took the infusion set out today, even later than I promised. DS went to the pool and ran around with friends all day and wasn't bothered by it at all. He said it felt like "a part of my body". Cool!