- advertisement -

Too bad they don't know about D yet

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by monkeyschool, Apr 4, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Check this out!!! It just came in....My heart is pumping out of place, lol DD doesn't know yet...

"Dear Dancer/Parent,

TRAINEE PROGRAM 2011-2012 (AGES 13 ? 24)

You have been chosen to be a Trainee in the World Renowned Joffrey Ballet School Trainee Program.

This is a life changing, rare opportunity for you to be one of the few elite dancers at the Joffrey Ballet School."

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

How exciting! Congrats :D

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Too bad nothing, please don't look at D as anything to hold her back from doing anything. I would make every effort to make this work.

Of course my dd is only 6, but enjoys ballet/jazz dance, and Irish step dancing and soon cheerleading.

She has had d snice 13 months, so there has never been a time really without it in the picture for sports and activieties.

Everyone has thier own trials, but getting thru them is what makes us who we are in the end.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Congrats! I bet you can make it work!

5. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

Fantastic!! Congrats!!! :D

6. Spritzyup

Spritzyup Approved members

I dance two hours a day en-pointe, leading up to about eight hours a day this summer, it is manageable, it is doable and jouferry is an INSANE opportunity .
    It means future wise your daughter could end up dancing professionally, THAT is such an amazing, amazing oppertunity.
    Zippora Kraz who danced for the ABT was also type 1 diabetic http://zipporakarz.com/
    Don't let it hold her back.
    Congrats I'm jealous as heck!

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Funny my dd just was reading her book tonight. She came and spoke at Joslin.

Congrats!

8. P&BMom

P&BMom Approved members

AWESOME!! Don't let anything hold her back! She is an inspiration to all of us!

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

How exciting for your daughter!:) There are so many people with type 1 doing anything and everything that they want to do. Getting gold medals in swimming like Gary Hall jr has, tearing up the field in pro football like Jay Cutler, summiting Mount Everest like Will Cross, serving as one of our judges on the supreme court like Sonya Sotomeyer. And now your daughter will become a prima-ballerina, young girls will watch her and be inspired by her in the future;)

10. txmom

txmom Approved members

Wow - really impressive. This is a rare opportunity! Your daughter must be fantastic. Way to go - all those lessons, bloody feet, hours of practice and hours of driving to practice have certainly been worth it. I bet she is overjoyed.

11. monkeyschool

Thank you all for your kind replies. I really wish we could send her, but because she is so newly diagnosed we may have to turn it down. I don't know how she could handle it all on her own 24x7 unless there is someone there to help her through it for the first few months at least. I've been debating making the call and being honest with them or making the call and tell them we need one more year because she is so young...it's 13-24, but most are HS aged. DD will be 13 by the start of the session, but she will be an 8th grader.

The program is 9-5 and they dorm in the city. Right now we are one month into dx. I wish we were at least in CGM. My biggest concern is night time....what if she does not wake up for a low?

It isn't so much the dx that concerns me in terms of how she will dance, etc it is more the staying there 24x7.

Thank you all again. Your words mean a lot to us.

PS. I finished reading the book yesterday. Have not given it to DD yet.

12. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

If they are in dorms, and there are kids as young as 13, they'd have to have resident's assistants, dorm moms, something like that I would imagine... couldn't you at least investigate the medical accomodations and try to speak with the residence director (college version) or whatever version of that they have there about accomodations, your concerns, etc. and see if something could be worked out?

13. monkeyschool

This one is the NYC one, they have two locations. But that would be awesome, lol

I am going to call them later today or tomorrow. I am just being a chicken about it. I'd hate to ruin it for her :-(

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  14. Lee

Lee Approved members

Caro's daughter, who is also T1, performs on Broadway regularly, both singing and dancing! It can be done - don't let D step in the way of it.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm probably going to have a very unpopular opinion. If it were my daughter, I don't think I could send her. There, I said it! :eek: It looks like a very rigorous program and unless I could be there for the middle of the night checks, I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Perhaps in a few years, but not at the age of 13 and newly dx'd. :cwds:

16. monkeyschool

Don't feel bad....there is always two side to everything. In many ways I feel the same, but my fear of saying no is that I may close the door for later. I have not been in the dance world for long (we were in gymnastics until Sept) so I am not sure if saying no to something like this has repercussions later. I am also not sure if I should explain myself in detail of health and possibly be a first for the school which may be worse or tell them she is only an 8th grader next year and I would love to wait another year or at least see how their summer program is first (she got accepted to their summer programs as well for Ballet and Jazz and is going to attend a week of each). I would feel much more comfortable on CGM too....

17. monkeyschool

Thank you :)

18. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

So I have a friend from nursing school who's son is a professional "ballerino" as we refer to him... anyway, she said that she knew some moms who went with their younger kids / teens to summer intensive programs, and stayed in the city with them for that time... Probably crazy expensive, and hard to figure out if that would work or not, but couldn't you guys kind of test the waters with the summer programs before committing full force to the year round program?
    My friend also said to just be honest with them at the school and ask what kind of experience they have with medical conditions, and depending on the response you get from that more broad question, then ask specifically about D. With really intense training and stuff like that, they'd have to have good medical staff there all the time...
    Vicky my friend is a nurse, and a ballet mom... maybe she can get a job there!! lol!!

19. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

First of all congratulations to your dd, that is awesome!!! We know a couple of Joffrey and ABT girls who are amazing ballerinas, so your dd must be really great. I know not everybody dorm's for their summer program, could you go with her so she does it as a day program? We did that one year, my dd was accepted to Debbie Allen's Summer Intensive, but she was so young so I went with her. We rented an apartment for a month. It worked out great, she had her camp, but the evenings/nights she spent with me. This was before she was diagnosed, so it had nothing to do with D.

20. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

When is the intensive? Maybe I can help.