- advertisement -

Tony Cervati

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by type1rider, Nov 16, 2010.

1. type1rider

type1rider Approved members

Just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. Was diagnosed 33 years ago at the age of 8. Back then it was urine checks using Diastix (remember them? They still sell them btw).

Over the years I have progressed from beef and pork Regular, NPH, Lantus, some combination of them, and now to Humalog via the Cozmo pump. I also use the Abbott Navigator CGM device.

Best calculations is that I have tested my blood glucose via finger pricks over 75,000 times, taken almost 52,000 injections, used 800 infusion sets in my 6 years of pumping, and dosed more 642,000 units of insulin.

6 years ago while was training to become the first documented Type 1 diabetic to race a 24 Hour mountain bike race solo, I founded the Type1Rider organization. I live my entire diabetic athlete existence out in the open via the Type1Rider blog. From soup to nuts everything from basal rates, training logs, race reports, diet, A1C, and real time BG posts. (As of right now I have posted 5535 blood glucose readings via Twitter).

After successfully completing that first 24 hour event, I have raced over 350hrs of solo endurance cycling events. I have been a member of the Gary Fisher/Trek Bicycles 29er Crew Racing Team since 2009, and work with the ADA and JDRF as a volunteer helping out with cycling events (Tour de Cure, MTB clinics, etc) where ever they need me.

On June 10th, 2011 I will racing an event called the Tour Divide. The race is 2745 miles in length from Banff, AB CA to Antelope Wells, NC on the Mexico boarder. It is the longest mountain bike race on earth, is 96% off-road, has an elevation change of 200,000ft, and must be done completely unassisted. No crew. No team. No help. More info can be found here at the Tour Divide website.

Although it is monumental challenge for a Type 1 diabetic to attempt, I believe that this race is my purpose in life. Many personal reasons will bring me to the race start north of the boarder, but the main cause will be demonstrating that a person with Type 1 diabetes has no limits.

If I can be of any help answering any questions about exercise, diet, or life with diabetes please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or leave me a post.

2. pookas

pookas Approved members

Thank you for introducing yourself Tony. I did get a friend request from you on FB a few days ago and wasn't sure who you were. Welcome!

3. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

You are an inspiration!! Thanks for putting it all out there for everyone to see!

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks, Tony! Enjoy reading your FB posts ... in amazement! :D

Good luck to you!

5. type1rider

Thank You!!! :eek:

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Tony. Welcome to the forums.:)

7. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Tony,
    You are an inspiration! I ride myself and reading your posts on fb all the time just keeps me going:D

8. NaturalMom

NaturalMom New Member

=)

Great to have your advice here! I know I need all the help I can get! Thanks =)

9. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

It's great our kids can read your posts and see what you accomplish knowing they also will have no limits! :)

10. type1rider

Awww... thank you!!! It's nice to hear those kind words! :eek:

Make no mistake, there is NOTHING anyone with Type 1 can't do with a little planning an preparation.

Just trying to fight the battle everyday just like everyone else. :)

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Tony you are awesome!!! Glad you did an intro here for those who dont know you yet. Steven thinks you and Phil and Kris Freeman and Jimmy D are all amazing people:) He says that diabetes doesnt seem to be slowing you guys down much. And I said nope, not too much atall:cool:

12. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Yea Becky, he IS awesome, but did you get to have oatmeal with him?
    I think NOT!
    Anyway...
    For those few that have not heard of Tony Cervati, Tony is a Type ONE who is an award winning mountain bike racer.
    In June, he's going to be the first ever Type ONE to participate in one of the most challenging races ever.
    It's freakin "crazy", scary, just amazing.

I have started a blog about Tony.. It leads us to big race.
    Would love if you read it, would love it you left comments and questions for Tony!

http://thedelusionalpancreastonycervati.blogspot.com/

13. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Thank You!!

It is so wonderful that you would make yourself available to parents! I know we will have questions down the line.

14. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I enjoy seeing your posts about your blood readings as well Tony. Keep up the great work and look forward to more posts on your riding!!:D

15. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hi Tony :)
    It's people like you that give me hope and confidence for the future of my young T1D daughter. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge, experience and positive attitude with us here (and on Facebook, Twitter and your blog :D).

You ARE awesome! Keep it going!!

Best wishes on your new adventure!!!

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Awesome blog.
    And Tony's awesome.