- advertisement -

Tonsils being removed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anna-C.Momof3, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Anna-C.Momof3

Anna-C.Momof3 Approved members

Ray is getting his tonsils removed on Monday (as he has had step 9 times this year). He can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight on sunday so as far as night time lows, I don't now what i'm supposed to do. He's also going to be on an all liquid diet for a day or two afterwards. Did anyone else's child have to have their tonsils removed. Did it go relatively smoothly?

2. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

hi! riley had her tonsils/adenoids out last monday. similiar situation, she had strep 7 times this summer. we aimed for a BG of 200 that night since she couldn't eat after midnight as well. gave her a few pretzel sticks around 10pm. she has the CGM so that made it a little easier.
    she had juice and pudding almost immediately after surgery and was asking for crackers and pretzels the next day (which we didn't give her, they said nothing sharp for 2 weeks)
    overall the recovery was about 100% better than i expected. my other daughter had hers out last summer and it was awful. she screamed for like 2 weeks, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, etc. not sure what the difference was? i do think riley's pain tolerance is a lot higher and she has gone though a lot more. i really don't know though. my big recommendation would be to stay ahead of the game with the pain meds. give them continually for at least several days.
    good luck!!
    jessica

3. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I can't help you as both my kids have not been thru this. But, I wanted to wish you and Ray all the best.

4. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

My dd13 (non-D) had her tonsils out 11/17 and to be honest, I would never do it again. She was miserable. We ended up back in the ER and then admitted to the hospital for bleeding at 7 days post-op. I agree to not let the meds expire. The problem we had was the narcotics they gave her made her nauseated and se wouldn't eat, which only made things worse. I would ask for Zofran (anti-nausea) right off the bat. Today (20 days), she is still in pain and taking Tylenol as needed. Good luck and PM me if you have questions. It is much harder the older they are. Our neighbor's child had hers out at 4 years old and had no problems. The dr. already mentioned that Lily (our D child) has enlarged tonsils as well. I told her after this mess, unless it's life threatening, Lily will not be getting hers out. The ENT did tell us that girls often have more trouble than boys. SO, hopefully all will be well. I will certainly be praying for you both!!

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

bring along the glucagon for mini doses if needed. Mama Belle posted about this for her dd when she needed dental work and couldn't eat anything.

6. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

My daughter had them out earlier this year, I would never do it again. It was terrible. She did really good during surgery numbers stayed normal but afterwards she ended up with keytones and the doctors here didn't know what to do so I had to call her endo. myself and let them talk to him and when all keytones were gone we were allowed to go home. NIGHTMARE. She would not eat/drink and her sugar was dropping and keytones were coming back and then she started dehyradting so took her to ER they gave her some fluids and went back home and was able to at least get her to drink regular sprite.
    I wish we would have had this done in Riley Hosp. where at least someone would have known what was going on, the doctors around here do not know nothing about type 1.
    Good Luck I hope it goes better for you and your son.

7. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

I am sure Ray will be happy when this is over. No more strep. What a bummer, having 9 times strep throat. eeeekkkkk! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and good blood sugars!!

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Wanting to wish you good luck today with the surgery... we had hers our over a year ago, adnoids too ! The first day was not as bad as the days that followed. The normal is that they are not supposed to ahve dairy for something like 24 to 48 hours.. BUT our ENT insisted that we do becuase it will help her diabetes and controlling it.. he sd its not big deal.. The 1st day she was stilll kinda loopy, BS started to go crazy, but not a big issue.. BY day 2 adn 3 was bad. Large ketones, low blood sugars.. not even wanting to drink water.. NOTING.. What helpd us the most was ice shavings... I got a snow cone maker at walmart for like 15, and shaved ice.. WONDERFUL, life saver. at ONe point i also had to use a mini glucogon to get her blood sugars up so i can give insulin to flush the ketones away. Worked like a charm.. IT was rough for a few days though. ONce i got past the bad part it was smooth saling. best advice i can give is keep the fluids going at all times.. NO MATTER WHAT.. . They can dehydrate very fast since they are not eating adn limited drinking.. MY DD didnt like ice chips so that is why we did shaved ice.. we used juice and soda to flavor sometimes or just left it plain

9. Anna-C.Momof3

Anna-C.Momof3 Approved members

Surgery went pretty well but recovery was totally different. His bs stayed pretty stable throughout but he started dropping not long after it was over. I was able to get him to drink enough juice to bring him up. A little while later he wanted some water so I gave it to him and within an hour he began coughing up blood. Apparently one of the cauterized blood vessels had hemorrhaged. He went back into surgery for them to cauterize it once again and hope that it stays that way this time. He just got out about an hour ago but so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way though.

10. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

thanks for the update!
    don't let them kick you out until you are confident that he is ok and will be able to eat/drink at home.
    good luck!
    recovery may be rough, but for us, for both kids, it was definitely worth it. much less sickness, better sleeping and breathing, etc.

11. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

I'm sorry that recovery has been rough for him. I hope he feels better soon. :cwds: