- advertisement -

Tonsils and Adnoids -- what to do

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, Jun 21, 2012.

1. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

Just got home from the ENT office and what I thought was going to be a consult for putting tubes in turned into setting up a surgery date for having tonsils and adnoids removed. When I told the nurse that I wanted to be the 1st patient the morning of surgery so his BG levels stay in the 100's she looked at me like I was crazy. And I got another look from her when I said that when he went under for an MRI in Feb that they used a sugar-free saline solution and that I would want to make sure that this is available at the place we are doing the surgery at since it is not at the Children's Hospital.

So what have other CWD done pre-surgery and post surgery when having their tonsils out? We are in a very strong honeymoon stage and have not had insulin shots since March and are just doing a diet type control for now.

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I had to talk to a couple people to explain why it would be in their best interest as well as my sons to have his surgery early. They put him second. They also had the anestesiologist call me and answer my questions. We checked his bg before he went back and it was such a quick surgery I'm not sure if they checked it but they were prepared to if they thought it was needed.

3. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My dd had sinus surgery a couple years ago, and was the 2nd patient of the day. They gave her sugar free saline, and we checked her bg before and after...she was allowed gluc tabs before if she went low before (which she did). She did fine. Not sure how it would work out without insulin though.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

You absolutely have the right to be the first patient of the day,

Coco had hers removed prior to D - my best advice - Popsicles, ice cream, cold things.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee just had surgery. I requested first appointment of the day. They said 9:30, someone was before her. I didn't like it, but went with it. She had no clue why I needed first in the morning for Kaylee. When we called a few days before to get the actual surgery time she was first in the morning. They had talked to her endo, and well as the pedi ortho, and together they made it happen. As for the other information. Give that directly to the Attending dr, nurses and the anesthesiologist, saves you from frustration of having to explain it to the person who's booking the appointment.

She was allowed to have clear juice (apple, white grape) up to 2 hours before her surgery if needed. I had her pump with cgms going, they love that. She's gone under twice, once when she was just 5 and this time she was 9, what a huge difference. We had no issue this time, but the last time in 08 we had a lot of things go on. Not sure if its her age or what, but I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth everything went this time.