- advertisement -

Toll of diabetes on parents

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bibrahim, Jun 2, 2011.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm just grumpier more often, since I am tired and the "let's take a deep breath before we explode" mentality is sadly often out of the window. DH too, so it's an interesting mix.

Health-wise, could do better. WAY better.

But you'd never notice it if you met me.:cool:

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I definitely know it's had a toll on my health. The first year of DX, I lost over 40 lbs (that I didn't have to lose), and could not gain weight. Between sleepless nights, a toddler who did not have any ideas about lows, calling in every mealtime with numbers (took us several months before we were even in a ballpark for ratios), and stress... it was bad. I'm already anemic, and that got much worse, I lost a lot of my hair, had 3 teeth break, it was really really scary. My husband dealt with it a lot less (almost not at all) and that took a toll on our relationship as well.

Now, being several years into this, I think with finding better balance, not just with D, but with everything, it's much less of an issue. Do I get less sleep than I should? Probably. I don't think I worry more than any other parent though, and T1 is definitely a part of our lives, but it's a fraction of what it once was.

3. yelley

yelley Approved members

I would have to say that I definately pushed my health to the side after she was diagnosed. With all the doctor appointments and study visits the last thing I wanted to do was make another appointment for me....

The weight gain will have to be my biggest complaint, but I am not going to attribute that to D. I just like to eat and need to make better choices.

Here's the kicker for me....

If I had anything to be thankful for becuase of this disease, it is how close me and my daughter have become since she was dx'd....... priceless!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I second this!

5. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

For me, diabetes has taken more of a toll emotionally than physically. I feel good, eat well, try to exercise, don't get sick often. But I am always so stressed out! Which is probably a combination of working full time and trying to be a good mom to a 3 and 1 year old, one of which has a chronic illness. I just keep telling myself....it's gonna get easier, it's gonna get easier....

6. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Hmmm I'm wondering now about my sight too. I thought it was just age. I've always worn glasses, but only sometimes,like for reading. Now I need them the minute I wake up and wear them all day long. Maybe the stress from everything has made my sight a little dimmer too?

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Funny thing happened. I had my eyes check at the opthamologist recently and I need a weaker correction.:eek: A few months ago I started not being able to wear my glasses all the time, as I had been for years! So, not sure where that came from. Maybe my chakras have finally aligned.:rolleyes:

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Maybe you were born in one of those special years that allows for self healing?

9. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Nine months ago, I worried about things that really don't need to be worried about - things I thought were a big deal really are tiny in the grand scheme of things. I have become a lot more direct and to the point. Having said that, I've also felt a huge outpouring from school personnel and folks I least expected to receive it from. I'm not good at accepting help, but have learned to do it graciously for my daughter's sake. Sometimes I feel like I am always thanking someone for something.

I used to be have a hard time saying no. Now I do it effortlessly. I know adding too much to my plate could cause a breakdown on the right day. I can say without hesitation that this has taken a huge toll on me emotionally. The first few months I cried, a lot. I still cry but now it is during milestones, anniversaries or just plain manic moments.:eek:

Neither my husband nor I have slept through the night since the diagnosis. Even if it's the other person's turn we will wake up and ask what her number was for the night. As a result I look tired and feel like I've aged a lot - I went from a few stray gray hairs to more than I thought could sprout so quickly. I'm also a person who requires a lot of sleep so this one is tough. I feel like I did when my girls were newborns and I just never felt rested. I also have the memory of a new mom - forgetful!

On the plus side, I started working out five times weekly and have my children doing it too through sports and extra-curricular activities. I am much more conscious of what we eat, but we still splurge (sometimes a little more than we should). This has also brought us closer together as a family. We were always a tight-knit family, but now the squabbling between my three girls is almost non-existent. They are all very protective of one another. Seeing their baby sister with a bunch if IVs at the hospital had a huge impact on them. :(

While I wouldn't wish D on anyone, we've had a lot of good come of it but some days it just plain sucks.

10. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

My DD has been dx for 3 months. I have always been fit and healthy, with the exception of rosacea flare ups on occasion. Being up several times each night is definitely wearing on me as I am slower to get anything going in the morning and I don't have my routine down to get anything done before anyone gets up any more.....I have been dealing with more flareups (not sure if it's lack of sleep or stress).

My biggest complaint though is that because of the situation we are in (sitting waiting for activities whereas before I was free to leave) I have no time to hit the gym anymore and I feel like I am already starting to get out of shape and I know it's going to get worse and have health repercussions.

I am also well aware that my other kids, especially my middle one, are getting less attention and acting out more because of it. This in turn translates to mom and dad getting angry and we end up hurting our whole family in one way or another.

:(

11. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Since dx, I've become a short fused fatty.

The glasses thing is interesting. Although I've had reading glasses for years, I rarely used them...and in the last 6 months I've become totally dependent on them and now wear them all day long. I figure my eyes are just tired, like the rest of me.

I'm optimistic the bitchy fatty part will subside soon - hoping when the huge change of D loses its shock value and just becomes part of life, I'll get a bit closer to being my normal self again. Fingers crossed anyway :)

12. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I just want to quote all of you! Grey hairs, dim eyesight,bitchiness, gaining weight, looking old, lack of sleep, etc. It's great to hear I am not alone. I agree, it's worth it for our CWD.

13. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

When Andrew was dx'd last year, I had been in a routine of working out every day, and I had lost over 30 pounds and was feeling great. I gained all 30 of those pounds back, plus 10 more over the next 9 months. I was so stressed with trying to learn all I could about D, and managing it, and night checks...I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed! But around the holidays it hit me that despite D, Andrew is incredibly active and extremely fit - if he could do it as the one actually living with D, I could do it, too. Bedsides, I was tired of being overweight, and I wanted my family to be proud of me and to set a good example for my little girl, who is only 2 1/2. So at the beginning of the year I got back on my routine of working out every day. I have found that hour of my day to be incredibly helpful in managing my stress - I actually get grumpy if I DON'T get in my workout! That is my only "me" time in the day, and I NEED it. So far this year, I have lost 63 pounds. My kids have told me that they are proud of me, which is the best reward in the world! Andrew has even called me "skinny"!:D I feel like my healthier way of eating is setting a great example for Andrew - he is still a kid and he still eat junk food, but he also eats the healthy stuff and likes it!

Managing D is incredibly stressful - I definitely have more gray hairs now than I did before his dx! But I know that exercising and losing weight has been great for me both physically and mentally. It doesn't make dealing with D easier, it makes ME better able to deal with managing D!

14. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Yes, short fused. Yes, worsening eyesite. Slow brain. The shock and stress of diagnosis caused a full blown flare-up of a mild condition I have which resulted in weight loss. And the stress has turned what was just a faint notion of perimenopause into a sudden and definite direction towards the dark side including missed periods and baby hot flashes. (I'm 42.) Fun!

15. happyearthgirl

happyearthgirl Approved members

I am so happy to read this thread! My son was diagnosed one year ago. I have gained 15 lbs. I have hashimoto's and have really had trouble with getting a correct dose of thyroid. Last month I had a salivary gland tumor and abnormal lymph node removed- I attribute this to stress! The universe hit me with a brick and said, "Take care of yourself." I heard someone compare it to being on an airplane going down...you always put your oxygen mask on first so that you can help others..trying to get my mask on!

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

I probably self-medicate with microbrewery products a bit more frequently that I did before DD's diagnosis. ;) I'm also not in quite as good shape physically as I have traditionally been.

I'm not sure if I can attribute these to any effect of diabetes caregiving, they could just be part of the path I was on as I aged anyways.

17. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

hahahaha thanks for that, I needed a good giggle today :) (sorry for OT, but that hit my funny bone)

18. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

This is happening to several people I know, and their kids don't even have D!:D I worry about things I never had to worry about before, I don't get much uninterrupted sleep, I appreciate my family more, I admire my kids more and have found more patience than I thought I was capable of having. Of course, we have been at this for a while and the year after diagnosis I would have responded differently.

19. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Hahaha!! I can relate to this one alright!!

20. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I've definetly seen a toll on myself. I now have pms 24/7/365 instead of 4 days a month. My self medicating days with microbrews are long gone. To quote Bon Jovi ..." sometimes you tell the day by the bottle that you drink;)