- advertisement -

Told daughter can not order school's hot lunch, and more

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MiaLeo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MiaLeo

MiaLeo Approved members

We attend a charter school in FL. We packed most of her lunches last year, but Mia started wanting some of the hot lunches (mostly corn dogs maybe 3 times monthly) the other kindergarteners were eating, every once in a while.

I just had a lovely meeting with the dean, guidance counselor and the nurse at her elementary school and was told Mia should not be ordering any hot lunch this year, because it is too complicated to figure out the carb counts. I always put an index card in her lunch box with the carb counts of everything. There was maybe one time the teacher texted me a pic of her hot lunch so I could see how much rice there was and give her an approx. carb count, otherwise I wrote it down. But I guess it's too complicated, so no hot lunch at all for her this year.

Also they want her evaluated by a pediatric neurologist because they say she has issues focusing (what diabetic doesn't?). She is 6, 16 months old at diagnosis. And they think she was pulled too often from class last year for checks, boluses, corrections or lows (what was the word they used? overkill), so I need to streamline that process. Also, she needs to be way more independent with her diabetes. Whatever that means. I asked the Dean if she knows how to work an insulin pump. Oh, no? Do you expect a six year old learning her site words will?

We gave them a 504 last year and they told me it was unnecessary. Well today they looked me in the eye and told me we absolutely needed a 504 this year, but it would take several months of evaluating Mia's medical and academic needs to piece that together.

I have a head ache.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I would contact the American Diabetes Association and ask to speak with an advocate. Charter schools receive federal funding, so telling you that your daughter can't have hot lunch is absurd, as well as them insisting that she should take over more of her own care.

3. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I would have a headache too. I would think it it would be unjust to say a child can't eat the school. Is it a public school? Sounds like staff needs some training. Is testing in the class room an option and how supportive is her teacher this year?

Good Luck.

4. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

My DS goes to public school in FL.... I just met with the school yesterday.... The nurse got on to a web-site and printed out EVERY ITEM THE SCHOOL OFFERS on the Menu's and gave me the nutritional info.... Took her all of 3 minutes.... our Guidance Counselor told me that the 504 plan will be completed in a week..... Where in FL are you? I am in the Tampa area.... Both my sisters are teachers and one of them teaches at a charter in the West Palm area..... Do you see a pediatric Endo? We were automatically given a social worker who told us if we EVER have a problem with the school to contact her ASAP and she will fight for us... is that an option for you? Don't put up with the BS.... Check out your rights (if you don't know them) and FIGHT..... I found the best info on the JDRF site.... Good luck!!!!!

PS I don't think the school can have a menu and NOT have the nutritional info..... I could be wrong, but I think it's a law...... Sounds like lazy staff at the school

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. MiaLeo

MiaLeo Approved members

Thanks guys. My mind is blown that they would just say well, you know we don't have the nutritional info for the hot lunches, so sorry. The guy who does the catering wouldn't know the carb counts.

And Amanda I'm in Tampa too - Seminole Heights. Do you go to the USF Center? We see Dr. Shulman.

6. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

Yes that is who we see. Call Amanda Vasquez the social worker. She is fierce when it comes to the kids and schools. We are really new to this DS dx July 15. I have talked to Amanda twice She is wonderful!! We are blessed with a great school but she made it clear no one tells her kids NO. Lol.

We are actually in Valrico. Jake is at camp with dr. Shulman now!!!!!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

FYI, her 504 is for her diabetes and the accommodations she needs to have equal access to public education. IF the school feels she needs an "Individualized Education Plan", an "IEP", then that may take some time but a 504 is simple and has NOTHING to do with her academic performance.

Have a look here to compare what you have generated to some comps.http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

YEAH! This right here is why I love this website!!! Connections making sure our kiddos are able to be safe at school!

I am sorry you're having to deal with this right now, the whole back to school stuff is incredibly overwhelming. This is our first year and we are really just starting the process, but already I feel like throwing in the towel (though I never would!) and we have supportive staff - it is just so much that I never had to think about before. Thank goodness there are ways to make it all work so our kids can thrive at school.
    I also know that the ADA is incredible in helping in very sticky situations, a local friend of mine with a CWD had an issue at their school that the ADA helped her with.
    Good luck :)

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

That is just unbelievably against your daughter's rights! We also have a 504 and as a previous poster said, it has only to do with her medical needs which does not affect her educational needs. The only thing we have in her 504 having to do with her academics is to reschedule or give extra time on a test if her BG is not within certain parameters.

If they feel her academics are suffering due to her inability to concentrate or frequent BG swings AND you also agree, an IEP is the way to go. You do get a little more out of an IEP...like for instance if she needed extra services...it's a little easier to get with the IEP.

Also, Bethany has had a 1:1 aide since pre-k. This aide has enabled her to stay in the classroom for testing and treating low BG's since day one. She now has a cell phone which she uses to get in touch with me instead of going to the nurse all the time. The aides have assisted her in becoming more independent. Could this possibly be an option in a charter school?

Good luck with everything and this whole thing with the food is ridiculous! I called up the person in charge of the food services and she gave me all the info I needed to obtain the carb counts of the school lunches. We pick out the night before when she wants to order hot lunch and I put the carb count on a paper inside her lunch box. This can easily be done with your daughter I am sure.

ETA: My husband is a school psychologist and this is why we wanted an 504. We know of the benefits of having one. At first they hesitated and said that pre-k students are not entitled to 504's but can have an IEP. All we had to do is direct them to the website that stated otherwise. My point is that even though they work in education, it doesn't mean they are fully educated! :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

No wonder you have a headache.
    1. "We attend a charter school in FL"
    Last time I looked, FL was a part of the US. Federal law rules

2."Mia should not be ordering any hot lunch this year, because it is too complicated to figure out the carb counts"
    Gee, maybe its too complicated for them to teach long division also and they should just ignore it.

3. " I always put an index card in her lunch box with the carb counts of everything"
    If the school provides the lunch they have the carb count. Maybe they should ask? It is NOT your job.

4. "And they think she was pulled too often from class last year for checks, boluses, corrections or lows (what was the word they used? overkill), so I need to streamline that process"
    Sure, why not just allow her to have diabetes M,W,F. On Tues and Thurs there will be no checks, no boluses, no corrections. Wait a sec - why is she leaving the class for all those things that should be done in the classroom anyway with no loss of class time? Hmmm.... streamline it and have it ALL done in the classroom, that's what we do.

5. "she needs to be way more independent with her diabetes."
    Exactly how? And why? Being independent at age 6 means not fighting shots.

6. "We gave them a 504 last year and they told me it was unnecessary. Well today they looked me in the eye and told me we absolutely needed a 504 this year, but it would take several months of evaluating Mia's medical and academic needs to piece that together."
    Finally they are right! She absolutely needs a 504. I think by law there is a timeframe - you need to request (in writing or email) a meeting and they have to have a 504 meeting within 48 hours.

Please pass the advil.

11. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Hahaha you nailed it! Great post!

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

This would make me apoplectic. I know my name calling isn't helpful, but your school administrators are a bunch of a-holes. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Hope it gets better.

13. MiaLeo

MiaLeo Approved members

I am LOVING these replies, guys. You just made me day. I am writing the social worker now. :)

14. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

15. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT - everything they tell you! If they get any kind of federal funding for the school lunch program they have to follow certain rules and will know the exact serving size of each item that is on each tray for hot lunch.
    I fought with our admins last year on different things and after talking with our Endo team and another school district learned what should have and should not have been done.
    Definately get a 504 in place and if there is an academic need for an IEP then make sure they include the special accomodations from the 504 in the IEP - this is what we had troubles with.
    There is no reason that they can't do her checks in the classroom, the person doing the checks just needs to slip in the room and kneel beside her desk and do it quickly and slip out. If she is low or high then do what needs to be done and go.
    We talked to our son's class about how at different times of the day he may have snack and they will not b/c he needs additional foods/carbs or he may need additional bathroom breaks or have a water bottle with him b/c he is high. Make sure to add that in the 504 too. I used a couple of the ones found on this site as examples to put ours together.

16. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

I can't wait till you hear back from her.... YOU WILL <3 HER!!!!!!!!!! Let us know how it goes!!!!

17. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

I hope you got my PM response.... it says that I didn't send but I sent twice.... IF you didn't get it let me know and I will post the info here or through email.... GOOD LUCK