- advertisement -

Toddler with sugar in Urine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jhferry, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

What Carol is saying is very true. You can just never know how serious it is until the Blood sugar has been checked, and other tests have been run if the blood sugar comes back good. It is not worth waiting until tomarrow because your child could become critically ill, or even pass away before then if it is diabetes. This is a very serious cronic disease. Please, I am begging you, get your child checked out today, even if that means a trip to the E.R.
    Jamie

2. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

I just talked to the Dr. I am going to the Lab now with my son to get his blood checked. I asked her why they didnt do that when they had him there. Unbelievable.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Thank you - whew! We are ALL hoping to hear good news. Please let us know. As many of us here know, there are many doctors out there that don't understand type 1 very well.

But if your child has diabetes we'll all be here to help:cwds:

4. rsmom

rsmom Approved members

I'm so glad to hear that your taking your child to the lab today!! I really hope that it isn't diabetes, but will echo what everyone here has said already - if it is, you'll be fine. You'll manage - it's a lot to learn and is very overwhelming (especially in the beginning), but you'll get through it with a lot of support and training. In time it will get easier.

My son was diagnosed at 24 months - we, too, had a doctor that knew very little about T1, and we knew almost nothing. Both my son's bloodwork and urinalysis came back with glucose and protein - with this information, our doctor gave us a referral to a pediatrician...an appointment for 2 WEEKS later!!! It was only on my gut feeling that we shouldn't wait that long that we called the doctor and told him we wanted to take our son to Children's Hospital - we took him and he was admitted right away. Other than being a little "off", and not very hungry, his symptoms were very mild - yet there he was that night, in a hospital crib with all kinds of tests being done and injections going in. So the others are right - no one wants you to panic, but things can get bad with untreated diabetes VERY quickly.....it's always, always better to pester the doctors to get the answers you need.

I'll be thinking of you and hope that everything is fine with your little one.

5. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

I hope all went well at the lab.
    Keep us informed.

6. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

You should never spill glucose into your urine under normal circumstances. Even a trace is a problem, which is probably why they sent it to the lab to double check, but they should've just done the blood right away rather than wait 24 hours for a urine glucose. (in my not so humble opinion:rolleyes:)

You have glucose in your urine when your kidney's can no longer absorb all of it from your blood stream. The rest of the glucose is flushed out in the urine. This usually only happens when the blood glucose is more than 180 mg/dl. Normal blood sugar is 80-120.

I'm so glad your getting the blood work done!!! It is the best way to know what's going on and will help the doctors decide what steps to take next. If his blood glucose is high try to get a consult from a pediatric endocrinologist as soon as possible... like today. Many pediatricians have very limited knowledge of diabetes, especially in very young children, and can not give the specialized care that will be required.

Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  7. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

hi everyone,

We took him to get a blood stat. The dr called us and said his blood looks fine (83) I asked him about the sugar in the urine and he said he has seen false positives before but we could take more blood If it would make us feel better. His urine sample is at the lab so we get the results from that on Thurs but the Dr. told us he thinks my son is fine. His thirst would be all day instead of just night hours which is more likely behavioral. I asked so many questions because I wanted to be sure and he finally told me to call back in the morning but that he thought I shouldnt worry as the blood is more accurate than the urine. So I think I will take the good news right about now.

8. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

That's really great news!!! Just keep a close watch on him, (as I'm sure you will).:D

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So glad that you're not joing our club!
    Sit back, relax, let out a deep breath and enjoy your family!

10. selketine

That is great news!

However I know that there is someone here that also had some bloodwork done and got readings in a normal range - I wish I could find that post. It seems they caught the diabetes early or something.

Anyway as long as you continue to follow-up and you know what to look for just in case you should be in good shape. You absolutely did the right thing by taking your child back for the blood test. I'm so happy that everything was o.k.

11. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Wow! I hope all goes and stays well. I agree with Carol. Keep a watch. I'm glad everything went well. I had told our story once that I had requested that Ty's sugar be checked and they told me it was fine, turned out they never did it.

Months worth of illness down the road I took Ty in to a new doctor and they told me he had strep throat I told them to test him for diabetes. They did a blood draw but did not check us in the office and sent us home. Ty almost died by the time we made it to the hospital. BG 871 and A1C of 15.5, total ketoacidosis. Horrible!

You can never be to careful. If I had known then what I do now it never would have played out like this. Great job in finding this board just with a suspicion of diabetes!

Good Luck! God Bless! Tami

12. Twyla

Twyla Approved members

13. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

^
    Thats terrible.

I do have great news everyone, we got the lab results from the same sample
    which came up positive for sugar and the lab came back negative. So the
    strip was false positive!

Thanks for all the replys, god bless you all.

14. selketine

Thanks Twyla. Your story always stuck in my head as I would not have known that someone's reading could be off the charts once then back down to normal in a bit. I wonder how many diabetic kids are missed if that happens?

So glad you child's lab came back normal jh. I hope that will be the end of that!:)