- advertisement -

Toddler with sugar in Urine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jhferry, Sep 12, 2006.

1. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

Hi,

I need a little info here. I have a 20 mo old toddler who just had a
    urine test for sugar. He drinks alot of bottles at night even though
    they are mostly water. (2oz milk to 6oz water) Anyway, he is very high
    energy and a very happy kid. The doctor told us its a 50% chance of
    diabetes but I dont know anything about this. He does tend to eat late
    and does get the bottle at night. He had the urine test when he was
    asleep as well after a bottle.

Can anyone tell me what can cause this? We of course are freaking out.

2. georgia

georgia Approved members

I am not a doctor or nurse, but I think spilling sugar into your urine is a sign of diabetes. Is your doctor running more tests? sending you to a pediatric endocrinologist?
    My 3 year old daughter has diabetes and I have been worried about her twin brother. The doctors told me I can check he blood sugar or check his urine for sugar. They told me he should never spill sugar into his urine.
    I'd get your son to an endocrinologist. If he has sugar in his urine the insulin isn't moving the sugar to his cells like it should.
    I hope your son doesn't have diabetes. But you need to know.
    Goodluck

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I"m unclear about some things.

Did your child actually see the doctor? Did the doctor do a finger stick test to see what his blood glucose level is?

When William was diagnosed they tested his urine first IN the office and it came back positive for sugar in the urine so then they IMMEDIATELY tested his finger and he was 400+ and they sent us on to the hospital.

William could drink 5 cups of liquid in a row and was peeing out of every diaper in about 2-3 hours. He would pee out every night in the crib right before diagnosis. He also ate like a horse (which was literally our first symptom in hindsight).

I don't understand why the dr. is just telling you 50% chance of diabetes - why isn't the doctor actually finding out???? I would not wait - I would ask that your child be checked IMMEDIATELY - a young child especially can go DKA very quickly and be an emergency case. FYI William was 26 months at diagnosis. Your child needs to be seen NOW - do not keep reading the internet....go....go.....shooo......and please come back and let us know. I hope the news will be good but you need to find out.

4. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

He took a strip test I guess and it was positive. they are sending the sample to a lab I guess to do more tests? I guess the endo would come after that. From the responses here and another board I am ready to pass out. Hes only 20 months! How am I going to prick him and give him needles? Will he be ok?

5. georgia

georgia Approved members

YOu will be fine no matter what. I never thought I would be able to finger prick and inject Amalia. But I can and I do everyday. And it is okay, she is a healthy three year old. One step at atime. YOu are doing the right thing by finding out what i wrong. My thoughts and prayers are with you. But no matter what, you all will be okay. diabetes is ugly and I hate it, but it is managable. MY little girl is full of life and energy. goodluck

6. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

He will be OK!!!:cwds: I know it's a lot to process, but try to stay clam until you hear back. Did they send a blood sample to be tested?

7. mommy2noah

mommy2noah Approved members

Do you know what number came back on the strip test? If it was in the 300s or higher they probably should have sent you to a hospital immediately.

I hope, and I am sure that everyone on this board feels the same way, that your toddler does not have diabetes. However, if he does, please be reassured that thanks to many advancements in medication, medication distribution, and testing devices your child can lead a "normal" and healthy life. My son was diagnosed at 34 months. I was needle phobic and had passed out several times from receiving injections, I couldn't even watch someone receiving an injection without feeling nausceous. I can now prick my son without any anxiety. We all overcome our own unique weaknesses and phobias when it is for the good of our child. Additionally, your son is probably stronger than you realize. If he needs injections he will get used to them very quickly. My Noah, barely even seems to notice when I prick him to check his blood sugar or to change his infusion site. Also, you will find lots of support groups, on the web and face-to-face that can help your family.

Good luck and g-d bless.

Stacy
    Noah, 41/2 dxd 2/05
    Max, 7 1/2
    Hannah 23 months

8. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

If it is diabetes it sounds as if you are catching it early which is great. Many of us, myself included, had very sick kids at the time of diagnosis. Other symtoms to look for are excesive thirst and urination, crankiness, lack of energy, and both increased or decreased hunger.
    I won't tell you to relax because that would be uselss, what I will say is that if it is diabetes HE WILL BE OKAY. My son was diagnosised at 18 months, now at 27 months he is doing great. It is hard sometimes I won't lie, but my child is healthy and growing and that makes all the hard work worth it a thousand times over.

Let us know what happens and ask lots of questions if you need to.

Good luck
    Robyn

9. EmmasMom

I just wanted to add that my daughter Emma did not seem "sick" at diagnosis. Her only symptom was drinking more bottles than usual, and she had been very fussy the night before I took her in. She was happy and bright eyed at the pedi's office despite the fact that her blood sugar was 699 and she was going in to DKA.
    We were sent home to wait for blood work, (because our pedi was sure she was fine), and the news came less than a hour later that we needed to go to the hospital immediately.
    Little ones can get very sick very fast, so please make sure the doctor is on top of this! Many young children are misdiagnosed and often end up in DKA, which is very very dangerous.

Please let us know what you find out!

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm curious, did they just use a ketone test strip? What did the reading come back as? I honestly would request more testing from the doc. Ask for a finger stick test (blood glucose). Abby's urine was tested in the hospital, and it was at the highest point, at the same time they tested her blood glucose level and it was over 700. We were sent immediately to the hospital for admitance.
    I'm going to say this in the nicest, but harshest possible way:
    If you haven't spoken to the doctor, please get off the internet and call now and request more extensive testing! DKA happens quickly in children, so if you have any doubts, push your doctor.
    Don't worry about finger pricks etc. at this time, just get to the bottom of this and find out what's going on with your little one. If need be, you will receive extensive training from the hospital and excellent advise from the gang here.
    We here at CWD are all pulling for you and hope you won't become part of our club.

Sending positive thoughts your way...

11. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

It was a urine strip, she said the urine test was 50 mg. They didnt test the blood.

12. pookas

pookas Approved members

You need to get that child checked out immediately. You need to get his BS checked and have a doctor check it all out now. What is your doctor doing now? What are you all waiting for? I hope he doesn't have D, but if he does and nothing is being done right now, then that is not good. I don't want to scre you, but by the time I got my son checked for D, his BS was 691 and he was life flighted to Childrens hospital. So, please be on the safe side and get him checked now.

13. EmmasMom

Do they want you to come back to the office for more tests??? Or did they just say he may have diabetes, and then send you home??
    They sent urine to the lab but not blood?
    I'm confused as to why they're doing that. The best thing to do is get a blood glucose value.

I looked at my urine test strips, (multistix) and 50 mg/dl isn't even on them, it starts at 100, so maybe he only had a very small trace of glucose and they needed the lab to confirm it?

You must be very frustrated!

14. Beach bum

50 registers as moderate on our strips. I would follow up w/doc and ask what their strips rate. Low, moderate, large. Also, was your child sick? Is that why you went to the doctors in the first place? Many times even people who are sick and don't have diabetes spill ketones in urine especially after the overnight.
    I really would push for a finger prick and then find out the reading. If it's out of range, I would definitely request furthur testing.

15. EmmasMom

In urine 50 mg/dl is moderate for ketones, but for sugar it's below trace level.

16. Beach bum

Oops, thanks for the clarification Amy!:)

17. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

They left it with sending it out to the lab, Im not sure why they didnt order blood. I guess the Dr. didnt think he had it when he gave my wife the sample collector. Then she dropped it off and today and they tested it right there. She told me the results from the lab would be in tmw.

18. jhferry

jhferry Approved members

Below trace level doesnt sound very high, could it be hes eating too much sugar?

19. selketine

Well - I will say again - DO NOT WAIT.

Call your doctor now and ask for immediate testing of the child's blood glucose. If you are unable to reach the doctor you should take your child to the emergency room.

I do not wish to sound rude at all but you need to be driving your child somewhere. I don't know if you are afraid to call the doctor or what but your child needs to be seen ASAP. Not tomorrow. NOW.

You are speaking with a very knowledgeable group of parents who have type 1 kids and I think we would all agree on this point. I have read stories of doctors who send children home telling the parents to wait, or their child has the flu, etc. and the child barely survives the night. If it turns out it isn't diabetes there is still some problem if you child is spilling sugar in the urine. I think your doctor is a doofus for not insisting that your child be seen immediately.

I realize it may sound like we are trying to panic you but I want you to realize the seriousness of the situation IF your child has diabetes. You should go NOW.

20. selketine

But it wasn't a blood test - it was a urine test - for urine that indicates moderate ketones according to the earlier post (I haven't verified that). If that is so then it is a sign something needs to be done.

Eating too much sugar does NOT show up in the urine - or blood for that matter.