- advertisement -

Toddler tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GAmom, May 28, 2011.

1. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 12 months. Some of my tips for dealing with toddlers:

DON'T hesitate to switch to the pump. We waiting over a year to switch from MDI to the pump and my only regret is that we waited too long!

Don't beat yourself up over a bad number/day/week. It happens, learn from it and move on. Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint- especially when your child is diagnosed so young!

Try to get other people involved so you don't feel isolated dealing with the disease. Try to train other family member's in your child's care so you can take sometime for yourself!

I hope that these help..

2. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

thanks everyone!

I appreciate everyone's input here, and taking the time to add your tips/comments. There are so many, I havent been able to respond to each of your posts, but do know your advice is appreciated:)

3. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

Based on some of the things we went through, here is our top 10 list of tips - (primarily MDI related because we never used a pump):

1) Dilute the insulin. It is far easier to make small corrections.
    2) Use half-unit syringes and get good reading glasses for the small corrections.
    3) You can test on the toes (we never had an issue with accuracy)
    4) Prebolus is nice if you have a good eater, sucks if your kid is fussy.
    5) Do not make an issue out of testing or giving shots. Absolutely no rewards. This is the new normal and if the parents are making a big fuss about it, so will the child.
    6) If you are struggling with counting carbs, use pre-packaged meals with an accurate carb count. We ran the ones we used past our dietician and she was pleased. Makes figuing out the ratios easier because at least the carbs are accurate.
    7) Figure out a good, consistent bedtime snack. We used a cup of milk. If high, water the milk down a bit and give some insulin. If on low side, give a bit more milk. The goal is to correct and get the BG reading in a nice range overnight. This can be very difficult for a toddler, but it is critical in getting a decent A1C. With a little experience, the milk/insulin combination can be fine tuned pretty well because it is easy to be consistent.
    8) Get a blood ketone meter. (Actually, you probably don't need this one. The first time a tummy bug shows up and they need to check the urine for ketones they will discover something much worse than urine in the diaper and think "There must be a better way to do this...")
    9) Try to get some sleep.

10) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY..... just because these things worked for us does not mean they are the right things for you.