- advertisement -

Toddler pumping- omnipod vs. minimed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kellykate, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

My daughter Ruby was diagnosed in Feb. and we were lucky to start on the minimed pump within the first few weeks. We have been happy with this pump but I have been looking at the omnipod and can't help but think that it would be so nice to be free of the tubing --especially for a toddler. Dressing, undressing, baths etc. are a bit of a pain. I have sewn pockets on the back of all her clothes to hold the pump out of her reach. We have also been having some trouble with large air bubbles.

This being said I'm not sure how that would work insurance-wise. We will be switching to my husband insurance next month do you think that would allow us to try the omnipod or will they look back and see that we just got the minimed and deny a switch? Thanks for any suggestions! ;)

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

Not sure how the switching insurance would work for the pump part, but you should be able to get supplies for either pump so long as you alternate the supply orders (90 day supply of mm stuff, then 90 day supply of Omnipod). Also, Omnipod will send you one to try for free for a limited time, so you could see how that would work and decide if you even like it before you battle the insurance co. Also, I'm not sure how much the PDM costs, but it is significantly less than a regular pump and if you like it, you might choose to go out of pocket for it. Just for clarity, the PDM is less expensive, but the pods cost more per unit than cartridges and infusion sets.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

totally new insurance they would probably approve it, that is how we switched to the Ping before 4 years.

Have you tried a dummy pod on your dd? I would start there first.

They have been saying for years now that a smaller pod is coming out, and we would try it then otherwise I still feel it is fairly large for a small body, but plenty do it without issue.

My dd has been on the pump since 18months and at 7.5yrs now we still have her pump in a pocket in between her shoulders. I thought we would have moved on from this set up, but it is up and out of the way for the potty. She is always very modest because we have the pocket in a tank top that she keeps on even if she changes her clothes 10 times for dress up. She can change her clothes by her self, except take off her tank top with the pump attached.

We might be tring the untethered method soon, which could be an option for you.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In my experience you certainly can put in for a new pump when switching carriers.

Get the dummy pod. Personally I think the pod is still too big for kids, especially small ones, but that may just be my opinion and people with small kids do use it.

Good luck!

5. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We had a pumping class at our endo's office yesterday. My son wants the Pod. She told us that she has a 20 month old on it and is doing well with it. Didn't go into details though.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I think it all depends upon what you're utilizing the most with the minimed pump right now, for us the very small units of basal available are priceless as we utilize it a lot with Isaac. Additionally, we use the CGM for several weeks a month and think it'd be quite cumbersome to have two pieces of equipment rather than the cgm just communicating to the MM pump. so, we've stuck with MM...
    However, I know of several with young ones that like the omnipod and find it works great for their needs.
    I'd call Omnipod and see if you can do a saline trial, see how it feels for real not just with an empty pod. Play around with the remote and see if it has the functions you're used to and will be able to utilize properly. See if the IOB is how you're used to it, see if the set up for the bolus function is what you'd like...just call and have a rep meet you and see what you like first.
    Then worry about insurance :) I am sure there is a way to get the pump that will work best for your child.

7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Use minimed now - switch later

My son has been using his minimed revel since he was 2 1/2 (now he is 5). We liked the small dosages and the ability to add CGM at a later time if we chose to. At the time I just thought the pod was too big - we did order a sample one to try out, but I was intrigued by the tubeless.

We will continue to use the revel for some time. I am thinking when he is around 10 or so, that would be a great time to switch. And who knows what will be available 5 years from now.

No idea about the insurance. Typically they will not replace a pump for four years I believe.

We like tummitotes by tallygear for our pump. The bands fit under the shirt and hold the pump tight to the body and out of sight. When he was younger we used some of the cute pump cases, but he is so skinny, a lot of them were not tight enough.

Good luck!

8. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

What we loved mostly about Omnipod is that the PDM allows us to manage his numbers and bolus him without having to unhook a pump from his pants or pocket. When we trialed MM we got very irritated with having to pull down snowpants to access the pump for a snack, or take off a jacket when going through the drivethru McD. We also live on a lake which makes the omnipod that much more wonderful. He can jump in without having to bolus for a basal and unhook. I DO feel, however, that we could manage tighter numbers with MM. Omnipod requires us to fill 75ml which is much more than he needs in 72 hours so we have also mixed our humalog so that we are wasting less. They are both great pumps. I LOVE ours, but when DS gets older I can see us switching to MM when he can manage in more on his own. We'll see.