- advertisement -

Toddler chewing tubing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by William, Apr 7, 2012.

1. William

William Approved members

Has anyone had their toddler take a liking to chewing his tubing? Our 27 months-old son has mostly ignored it until now, but we caught him doing it yesterday for the first time. We were doing a site change that day anyway so no problem. Well today I caught him again and after looking at it, it appears he gave it a good chew overnight- all white and squished in areas (like an old hose).

We are of course worried it might affect his delivery. It is the Animas ping with a detach needle. Since we just did a site change yesterday evening, can we just disconnect, leave the needle in its site and replace just the first section of the tubing, prime it and reconnect? If the delivery is affected at all, would an alarm go off?

We use a spibelt and just put the excess tubing in the pouch. I've put a rubber band around the pump and tubing for now but expect that not to stop him. What is a better method to keep the tubing away from his mouth? Thanks

2. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

If you figure it out...

let me know. Our 22 month old has recently been taking her pump out of her pouch during naps and "playing" with it. Thank goodness it has been locked but it is not hard to figure out how to unlock it and we figure it is only a matter of time. We were considering using a safety pin to keep the pouch closed. Maybe you could use medical tape to tape a loop of it to his back so that he can't get to most of the tubing to chew on it? The paper tape is pretty easy to get off...or you could use IV 3000 but that would get expensive having to take it off every day. I don't know... I would think, however, that you could leave the site in and just change the tubing as long as you reprime that new tubing.
    Jessica

3. William

William Approved members

What type of pump do you have? With the ping, you have to hold two buttons at the exact same time. Would seem hard to get it unlocked. Are other pumps easier?

I like keep some slack in the tubing for when I need to remove it to adjust something. However the rubber band did not work, it was all pulled out from the spibelt pouch a couple hours later. I need some kind of loop inside the pouch to hook it to or such. Of course a little duct tape would work but trying to avoid that mess.

Very worried though he tries again and actually cuts through the tubing getting a mouthful of insulin.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

5. William

William Approved members

Thanks. I'll call them to see if it can be locked.

I emailed my pump rep and she replied that it was a first for her. Apparently cats have been known to cut through tubing though.

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Try a diferent type of belt

My only idea is you might try a different kind of belt where the tubing is not accessible. We switched from the pouch type of belt - it spun around - extra tubing hanging out, was too big, and my son could remove the pump by himself.

We have used a tummitote from Tallygear for the last year - and they are great. It is like a wide spandex belt that goes under the shirt held together by strong velcro. The pump goes in the velcro closure pockets - and you can order a clear window if you want. The velcro is strong - my 5 year old can barely get it open even after a year of use.

Since we use mostly rear end sites - I can place the pump in the back and tuck extra tubing in so he couldn't reach it. The tummitote won't spin around and it hold tight against your body under the shirt so kids can't see if to mess with it.

We have a plain red one for my son and a navy blue that they personalized with Boston Red Sox baseball patches to make it kid friendly.

Good luck.

7. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I agree that you may want to try a different belt and possibly positioning. We started out with a pump harness instead of a belt. The harness is worn on the child's back like a a back pack instead of around the waist. This makes it much harder to mess with the pump and tubing.

You can try most online diabetes supply stores for the Medtronic Child Pump harness or I think Angelbear Pump Stuff Inc also makes one.

8. William

William Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. It would be nice to have a clear window.

Is it comfortable though for them to wear it on their back? Would it not press on their back while sitting/sleeping. We've always positioned it in the front so it does not get in the way while sitting and if he sleeps on it, there is more cushion on the belly so he won't notice it. Being on the back though would prevent our current problem although we do use thigh sites in addition to his rear.

Last night, after he pulled it out again this time overnight with two rubber bands, I looped it over the end of the pump and placed the rubber bands over to keep it in place. The excess loop should hopefully stay caught over the end unless he pulls very hard, in theory.

9. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

Another idea that is similar to the harness pump pack is undershirts with a pocket in they back the holds the pump between shoulder blades. The little girl I babysat wore these and it kept the tubing and the pump out of the way and it never seemed to bother her.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Maybe try using something like Hypafix or Tegaderm to tape the extra tubing on the skin? Hopefully your kid will get tired of trying to lift off the tape.

11. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I once saw onesies or undershirts with pockets on the back to hold the pump. I really applaud you parents of toddlers, I don't know how you do it.

12. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

We use the undershirts with the pocket in the back. They are great for keeping the tubing contained. At night we turned the shirts around so the pocket was in the front. That worked well until Tyler started chewing the tube (he's 3). So now we just leave the pocket in the back. It doesn't seem to bother him to lay on it and he is pretty vocal about things he doesn't like. It would be worth a try for you. We had someone make a bunch of shirts for us, but you can find them online too.