- advertisement -

Today's Dex question...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Once charged, what kind of run time do you get out of the transmitter?

Had to whip out the baby monitor last night because we didn't have an outlet close enough to my daughter to get a good signal. Can't believe 9 years later we still had it!

I find it interesting that she can be downstairs with the basement door closed and we don't loose the signal, yet from our room to across the hall we loose it.

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I've never let the battery completely run down, so I can't answer your question. I wonder if it is good to let it completely run down???

Signals confuse me sometimes, too. I always loose the signal when he is at basketball which is a large open court, but I'm not far from him. I wonder if dozens of cell phones in the court could interfere with the signal?

Glad the old baby monitor was useful!

3. Beach bum

Funny you say this. We were at a science museum the other day and in a large open room with lots of people. She was about 10 feet from me working on a computerized program...and we lost the signal. Assuming it's the people, but she wonders if it was all the computers too.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ours can read all over the house but has on occasion lost contact when left too close to the computer. Other times, it's charging at the computer and never loses her. :rolleyes:

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

We charge once a week if that.

Radio waves are fickle ... it doesn't take much to block a signal. Floors are mostly wood and air. Doors can be metal and furniture much thicker than floors. Think of the signal as a line of sight signal. How many things is it going through to get to the receiver? Going through walls at a perpendicular angle is much easier as it can pass through the drywall - at a 45 degree angle it might encounter more studs. Also, what furniture is between the transmitter and receiver? I had great reception placing the receiver on a speaker 6 feet away but mo son wanted yet another speaker so I stacked one on top of the other and now I can't get reception. Same distance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. Beach bum

Great to know.

7. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

I have the charger on his dresser. I charge about once a week, maybe every 6 days or so.

We have a baby monitor in his room, just because I need it to wake me up but when we are awake, we can hear that sucker from across the house.

It will not pick him up at all at the local YMCA. Have not figured that out yet.

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I like the title of your post. It made me laugh. :D

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Seems like we charge ours every 7 days.

Ours picks him up really well all over the house in our small house if we put it in a central location. I won't pick him up on my bedside table to his bedroom though - which is about 3/4 of the way across our house. From my husband's side of the bed it works fine though!

10. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Dex goes out of range every once in awhile while on my night stand. I used to get up and bring it to her for 5 minutes so it would pick her up again, but I just discovered last night that holding it up in the air while still in bed accomplishes the same thing! Warning though, don't fall asleep with it over your head because its a rude awakening to have it land in your face.