- advertisement -

Today is our diaversary!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

It almost slipped by me - I can't believe it.

It was 3 years ago today that Emma was diagnosed. She was 25 months old!
    We had spent the day at the zoo after I had been watching symptoms for a few days getting worse - and the lethargy is what really clued us in. That night after dinner, I pulled out an old meter I had used when I was pregnant, strips that were 2 years expired, and poked her finger after she went to bed. The meter read Hi. I didn't even have a manual to know what that meant at the time. About an hour later, I got a reading that I knew wasn't good - 585.

I called the Drs office and they were so calm when they called back. I asked if I should take her in or wait until the morning and they very calmly said it would be a good idea to take her in that night. So I did. They red tagged us to the back pretty quickly and started hooking her up to IVs, etc. They transported her to another hospital in an ambulance and I drove to the other hospital at 1am with tears in my eyes about what our future held.

3 years later, we are happy and healthy. We had our best A1C yet last week - 6.7%. We have added Celiac into the mix but we are adjusting.

I am thankful every day that I have great treatments for this disease, that she can live a relatively normal life, that she is resilient and rarely fusses when we change her pump site or her CGMS, likes all the gluten-free food that we have given to her, and we have great friends and family who help us out and accomodate our needs and give us support and love. And I found this board. People I've never met that I consider friends.

But, she still has diabetes and she will until the day a cure is found. I will continue to advocate for a cure and donate for a cure and hope that she will see one in her lifetime so that we can someday say, "She used to have diabetes"

2. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Congratulations on a successful 3 yrs. :cwds:

3. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

Congratulations on the 3 years :cwds:

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Congratulations Nancy on keeping your daughter happy and healthy these past 3 years:)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Congratulations on the A1c and on making it through another year successfully.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Big day. I'm impressed that you thought to test her with your old meter. That never would have occured to me.

She's such a cutie. Congrats on all the hard work the last three years.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Congrats on 3 years Nancy!

8. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Congrats, Nancy! You are awesome!

9. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I can't wait for that day too.

that I can say "my dd used to have diabetes"

10. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

How time flies. Today is Jeremy's 3 month anniversary but your 3 year anniversary.

I guess you never stop learning and adjusting.

Congrats!!

11. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Congratulations on three years:cwds:

12. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Nancy, congrats on 3 years of raising a happy, healthy, beautiful little girl.

13. Toni

Toni Banned

Congratulations on a job well done. Great A1c! Don't know how you had the foresight to test her when she was only 25 months old..... I never would have thought of doing that. Hope there is a cure before she is grown and hope there is some therapy to make things easier with day to day management. There are so many very young children on this board; dx among the five and under set seems common now. I am shocked to see that.

14. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

six years for us today also, can remember the entire day very clearly still

15. Toni

Toni Banned

Congrats on your diaversary as well. Never will forget the day, either. I notice you are using the untethered method. It would be great if someone who successfully uses untethered would start a thread showing others. Have flirted with the idea. If she wants to take the pump off in high school during the day (as our school nurse told us high school students are trending back to MDI here in NY), I would like to do this.