- advertisement -

To work or not to work..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dawnoftexas, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dawnoftexas

dawnoftexas Approved members

Hello all!!

I have been an at home mom since my 13 ( almost 14 year old ) I am considering going back to work, but the mommy worry and guilt is getting to me. I know the school will be able to take care of her during the school hours, but I still worry if she has a low I will not be able to be there for her. Not sure what to do..:(

2. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I recently became a stay at home mom again...I enjoyed working, but enjoy staying home more.

I made a list of pros and cons...then when you see it in black and white,
    you can see what is best for your family. Hope this helps...unfortunately you have to make that call. The down side of not working...less money...but also less stress...I was getting chronic headaches from my work...now I am headache free and medicine free so for me...health is a big factor in my decision.

Although guarantee I will be working again after a break.

3. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

I agree with making a pros/cons list on paper. I have been a stay at home mom for over a year, while it's nice not to have to stress about working and keeping the house in order, it also would be nice to have some income of my own. Perhaps a part-time job is in order if you can find one that pays and is within the hours the kids are in school, that is what I am currently looking for. Good luck!

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

Can you work part-time and be finished with work when your daughter is out of school?

I recently went back to work -- started first of June. I'm working part-time and we've been able to handle it, even during summer break. My husband was able to work from home half-days and I'd be home by afternoon.

I haven't worked away from home (worked on our own business from home for many years) since Brendan was a baby. I tried taking him to work with me after maternity leave and I couldn't handle it.

If you can find a flexible job with limited hours, it makes it much easier.

5. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

I've been thinking about going back to work as well since hubby has been furloughed again from the railroad. He is working doing something else and I feel guilty being at home, but Griffen isn't anywhere NEAR staying home alone or with his brother. They are only 8 and 9. Glen tells me that my main job is taking care of the house and the kids, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm happy and blessed to be able to do it. :)

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

since you are used to not bringing in an income, how about start your own business? there are many out there that have the plans or you can do your own? (pampered chef, mary kay come to mind)

I work from home. Another benefit of being self employed is that you can qualify for business group of one insurance. I know that if dh ever looses his job and the benefits, that I will be able to have insurance for Sam.

7. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I am a sahm - just recent. We are still adjusting to the income loss but I do feel so much better about being here for them. Someone said to me once that she worked while her kids were young but stopped working when they hit 10. She felt it was more important to be home for them when they got older and she knew where they were, etc.

8. dawnoftexas

dawnoftexas Approved members

Thanks for the reply.

The only issue I am having is I enjoy working outside of the home; since I have been at home for so long it is a nice change of pace. The only problem is the major " mommy guilt"

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Approved members

I work because I have to.
    I wanted to share, for me, I would work even if I met some hot rich guy ;)
    It is a time to be with grownups, learn new things, etc. I like to challenge myself to keep everything going, work school etc. I have been @ my office 4 years and it is great which is a big +. My kids are only @ afterschool care @ the Boys and Girls Club for 90 minutes and they get bummed if I come early. They have fun, it is like a playdate every day.
    Evans school is 20 min away but in 2 yrs I have only had to go down 1 time for a big low.
    So personally I am able to rationalize my mommy guilt away, which I do feel occasionally.

It is okay to want to work, doing something for YOU is good!
    The challenge is to find balance between work and home and lots of mommies do it.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

the best thing you can do is make quality time with your family, and even if you do work they still have that one on one time.:cwds: