- advertisement -

To lower the lantus or not to lower the Lantus that is the question!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kgerrick, Jul 5, 2011.

1. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Hi everyone, hope you all had a great weekend!!

I have a question I think I know the answer but need your help! I dropped Caitlin's Lantus again on my own 2 nights ago down to 6 units because her numbers were generally low. Now yesterday she was 99 in am, 119 for lunch, 105 for dinner, 104 for snack which was a ice cream drumstick!!!, 195 at 9:36pm and I know why!!:eek: But we don't correct until she is over 200 so we left it alone and I checked her at 2:39am 177, then at 5:00am today I check before I left for work and she was at 94 then at 10:30 when she woke up she was at 96. Should I be lowering the Lantus 1 more unit or maybe not because the high (which is high for her) was due to the very carby fatty ice cream drumstick!!?? Now that I have written this out and read it I think I should wait one more night and minus the fatty snack and see what happens. What is your Opinion or should I say thought!! I will be sending the CDE a email with numbers tomorrow and she has officially given me her blessing to use my own head in cases like this unless I am scared and really unsure then I call them! Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Those numbers are great! I would leave the Lantus as it is and not change it again.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Wow, I would love those numbers!

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

had you bolused for the drumstick?

5. kgerrick

Yes, 1 unit of humalog.

6. kgerrick

She was just dx'd 5/19 so I guess this is honeymoon. Though the endo office at our last visit said that her numbers are tighter then they expected!! I pray that this lasts awhile. She is doing good. I don't know if you saw any of the last posts I put up but she did hit some real low's (38 a couple times) that was very scary for me!!!

7. kgerrick

Thank you!

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

In that case I would not change a thing. :)

9. kgerrick

Thank you! I did opt not to drop Lantus and I just checked her and she is at 96 :) at 1:50am.

10. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

Wow! I think those numbers are just fine - even the 195 isn't too bad considering she had the ice cream. I would leave it as is.

11. kgerrick

Thank you for your help!
    :)

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think you're good for now. :) You're doing a great job.