- advertisement -

To help where I can (T1, dx'd 1995 @ age 19)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tau1061, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Tau1061

Tau1061 Approved members

Wanted to say hello & intro...

I'm a T1, dx'd Oct of '95 while I was a soph in college. I was on MDI until 05 when I switched to a pump. I work as a natural resource manager for NCSU in Raleigh, NC while also a p-time grad student.

I was into all kinds of athletics growing up and after diagnosis my initial med team wasn't enthusiastic about it. :confused: Didn't take me long to realize I needed to switch. There are really good teams in this area @ both UNC & Duke Med Centers and I found a home with the bunch from UNC. They have been very helpful and supportive from day one. ;)

My athletic interests in college switched from regular participation in "traditional" sports like soccer, lacrosse, football, wrestling, etc. Instead, I took up climbing, mtn biking, backpacking, skiing, and mountaineering. I had some good instructors early on that understood my interests and my early physical needs & potential hurdles... and gave me the opportunity to begin learning how to manage in wilderness conditions. I've spent lots of time in freezing temps, snow, wind, heat, and rain stomping around forests, swamps, deserts, and high in the mtns up to 17K feet. I have been a part of the IDEA2000 group and now have the priviledge of being a member of a diabetic mountain biking team... aside from my ice climbing adventures :eek: (yea, I know)...

I may have already met a few of you, as I've been part of Sports Central @ FfL in Orlando the last two years with the high profile athletes. I don't consider myself a high profile athlete, I just do what I do. My main reasons for becoming involved were to help show kids that they can do whatever they choose with the right knowledge and preparations.

CWD has made a huge impression on me as it is very moving to see the strength and support networks all of you have established. You all deserve applause for the level of effort you put forth to make the lives of your children, diabetic and non-D's, as full as possible!:cwds:

Keep your heads up, you know you're not alone. Take care --J

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

wow that is an impressive intro. you have certainly not let diabetes stop you, it seems! i think that is really cool. very inspiring!

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I agree. Very impressive!! :)
    And, very inspiring!

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Jimmy,

Welcome! It's so awesome to have you here and posting. Would be so cool to have my son meet you at FFL next year. I can hope!!! :D

Laurie

5. Tau1061

Tau1061 Approved members

Thanks for your comments. Like I said, I just do what I do b/c I enjoy it. I did initially hear the "you can't do that" remarks, and that was likely some of the initial drive... but I soon realized it didn't matter what others thought I couldn't do. The point was to have fun!

All these things just happen to be what I have fun doing! ;)