- advertisement -

To go or not to go, that is the Question.... Holidays for T1D kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liamsmum, Jul 15, 2015.

1. liamsmum

liamsmum Approved members

So, my son was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago.

We have been planning for a holiday at some point this summer, but now with Liam's new diagnoses, I'm unsure we should go.

My husband just started a new job, and cannot take the time off. My mother and step father are going with us.

I'm just unsure if we should go. I mean, my dr say yes, as we should live our lives normally (with a few adjustments, as we have done) I'm just so scared to take him to a 3rd world country.

What do you guys think? Am I being selfish, because I haven't gone on a holiday in a few years. We are getting to be quite proficient in this delicate balancing act of insulin and food, which makes me believe this is something defo worth doing. Also, I know it would be great for him, as he needs a break and I know we would make great memories. I'm just so scared!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hi,
    I understand how you are feeling. The early days are very emotional. I guess my answer would be to make the decision based on your comfort level. If you are comfortable managing his Type 1 diabetes then I would go on the trip. Clearly you are going to need to do some extra planning but people here can assist you with that (if you would like). From your post it seems you are getting to be "quite proficient" in balancing the food/insulin and that is great! No matter when you go on a trip, now or 2 years from now, it is usually challenging managing things, between the extra activity, new foods, different sleep patterns, etc. But it is managable. It seems like the main thing holding you back from the trip is your fear. The unknown is always scary but sometimes it is best to just face it head on. Good luck whatever you decide.

Just remember, life is what you make it..... ;)

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

I would say "GO!!!" with some minor remarks.

We were about 2 months into it the first time we left for a mini-vacation. We started small and just went for a long weekend to Washington DC. We live in NJ, so it's only a 5 hour drive or something like that. Things went smoothly, but he was running a bit higher than normal, probably due to us not being used to dosage with restaurant food.

You're not saying where you're going, but you mention "3rd world country". I would personally start small and go to a a familiar place first to get a feel for it. Can you start out with a quick weekend getaway to a more familiar place? That's probably what I would have done.

I think you'll be just fine, but I'm more worried that you, as a parent, will be too stressed to enjoy it. Also, the ONE thing I would be careful with is going to a place where sanitary conditions are sub-par. We've already experienced a bad stomach bug with our son and it wasn't fun at all. As you probably know, diabetics get thrown for a loop when they catch a stomach bug.

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I think Christopher and njswede gave you very sound advice.

I'd like to add my opinion: I think you should make every effort to go for it. The less you let T1D negatively impact the "normalcy" of your son's life, the better. Your son is old enough to understand that his T1D more than likely had something to do with it if you end up not going, and that could lead him to feel guilty about your family missing or postponing your holiday. And it could make him resent T1D even more than I'm pretty sure he already does.

I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do!

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I think it depends on a couple of things

1) How confident you are
    2) How much he is looking forward to it
    3) how third world the third world country is.

Today I would go, but 3 weeks in, I was just getting my head wrapped around things.

6. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

I guess if I had to make the choice, I would try somewhere closer, a long trip with a different schedule would probable make things go wacky. And can you tell us where you plan to go?

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

3 weeks into it I would not try a 3rd world country. Try and be somewhere that has good phone service, supplies and good medical if needed. There is a lot that can happen that you don't have any experience with yet. Give it a year or two before you try a 3rd world country. By then you'll have a lot better perspective and in retrospect I think you'll be glad you waited. Don't let it stop you from going anywhere, I just wouldn't get too exotic just yet. Good luck and have fun!

8. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

I agree. I think of the trips we took early on and how uneasy I was the whole time. Now, two years later I am far more confident and can travel freely.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Before we discourage the OP from going on this trip, it might be a good idea to find out what they mean by "3rd world country". There are plenty of countries that people consider "3rd world" that have perfectly adequate resources and facilities. Just sayin`

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

First, where are you going? Are there hospitals there in the off chance event that you may have to utilize it? How helpful are your travel partners when it comes to diabetes?

Taking out the 3rd world portion of the trip, do you feel you are ready to travel with diabetes? IMHO, there's no reason why you can't go. Plan things out, bring tons of supplies, snacks and whatever else you rely on at home. With planning, it is possible to have a successful trip. But, the big thing is, you need to be comfortable yourself doing it. You don't want to be a giant stress ball the entire time.

Ask yourself, would you do this in the same situation (ie. husband not going) if diabetes wasn't part of the picture?

11. liamsmum

Sorry guys, I should have stated we are planning to go to Cuba to a 5 star All inclusive Resort. My parents are very helpful and supportive and pretty much went through the T1D Education program with us.

I know It's not going to be a "vacation" for me as my dh wont be there, and the full responsibility falls on my shoulders. My expectations are reasonable, for sure, this is definitely a Vacation for the kids, so they can experience a new culture/place.

His Doctor is fully supportive of our venture, and has given me a check list. He is also giving us his Cell phone number in case we have any questions, concerns or problems.

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

How are you feeling about it now? If your parents are helpful and your doctor is supportive (really supportive), I think it is reasonable for you to go, as long as you feel okay about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cuba have a very good health care system?

I would check into your travel health insurance policy first, though. It seems to me that the one we have and the one we looked into required that pre-existing medical conditions be "stable" for a certain period of time before travel. I wouldn't leave the country without decent insurance (even without t1d in the equation)!

13. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

I believe Cuba is considered a third world country by UN due to political reasons only. Nevertheless, travel insurance is always a must regardless the previous medical condition

14. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We, as fellow Canadians used Ingle insurance - which is advertised on the Canadian Diabetes association website. We got trip insurance, and the requirement for "stability" was 1 week. Very reasonable too.

15. liamsmum

I am feeling a lot more positive, and less selfish, about the trip.
    We will be going.

Liam heard me discussing the possibility of us not going, and didn't take it too well. I don't want him to feel he is limited with T1, so we are head strong going into this challange. lol

I am defo getting travel insurance. Will look into Ingle. and yes, cuba has an amazing health care system. And really, there are diabetics all around the world that need supplies and treatment, so I'm actually not worried about it as much. (i'm just telling myself this in hopes I will actually believe it lol)

Thanks Everyone for your insight/opinions/advice!

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Great! Have a wonderful time, I would love to go to Cuba one day...and it looks like we will be able to finally be allowed to go in the future.

17. njswede

njswede Approved members

I beg to differ! We just got back from our first beach vacation post dx, and we had a wonderful time! OK, this was the Jersey Shore and not Cuba, but still. Watching my son have fun and be "normal" more than made up for the inconvenience of having to bolus for restaurant food and ice cream.

Enjoy!

noah beah.jpg

18. deedeep

deedeep Approved members

I am so glad you are going. Given where you are staying .. a 5* All-Inclusive, they will do so much to help you as well. Just talk to the restaurant each meal and plan ahead for your corrections. You will do amazing and have an amazing and relaxing time that we all know you will need.

By a month (just hit it) I felt much more comfortable. We are headed to the beach with my in-laws next weekend and I cannot wait! We'll have a condo on the beach and just getting away from home and the norm will be so relaxing.

I'm new here but have already found so much great info - I know you can find all the tips you need on flying and prepping for the trip - ENJOY

19. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

That look on your son's face says it all, doesn't it!?!

Our kids are heroes!