- advertisement -

To Diaversary or Not

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mikker, Feb 6, 2010.

1. tesa

tesa Approved members

Mikk,

I got choked up, too, reading about your son's special friends who came and visited him in the hospital at dx! Brings back raw emotions as our anniv. date is quickly approaching also.

I love your idea as I am sure he will love the surprise. Now you have me thinking on what we should do....:cwds:

2. candise

candise Approved members

Heaven's one year anniversary was yesterday. No celebration for us. We just didn't feel like we wanted to add another holiday to the calendar.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

You know how D catches you off guard sometimes, and the tears start flowing? That's what happened to me when I was reading this thread. You all ARE heroes and the love and thought you give to your family shines through here so clearly. And our children ARE heroes and are what they are because of you. The anniversary is not just an anniversary of D but of how you have all rallied and learned and cared and struggled and cried and have DONE IT. No matter if you celebrate with a party or just quiet reflection it marks the beginning of a vast journey. Well done.

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

I would leave it up to him. DS wanted to just let it pass by without acknowledgement and it turns out we largely forgot about it since we were in the middle of his pump start.

5. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Just wondering what J decided. Ben's is next month. We have a scheduled endo appointment and I hope to do a little something. I've been getting increasingly emotional as the date approaches - it is definitely mixed emotions but like you, I want to let him know how much I appreciate what he has gone through this year.

P.S. I think the paintball idea ROCKS!

6. Noel

Noel Approved members

Aidan's Diversary is on Christmas Eve so we are already at a huge Family get together anyway, Christmas day is also my birthday and Aidan's birthday is the 29th of Dec so it is always a week full of family events, we don't do anything extra special but we always discuss it. Last year he made me write Happy 8 years of Diabetes on his birthday cake. The girl at the bakery laughed and then cried and my inlaws didn't like it but Aidan loved it and that's what was important.

Aidan did tell Austin last year when we went to Friends for Life that he (Austin) should thank him for getting Diabetes, because "If I didn't have Diabetes, then you wouldn't have gotten to go on this awesome trip, so you could at least say thank you to me for doing all of this crap so you could have a nice vacation"

7. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

The week leading up to Logan's 1st was super hard for me emotionally. Remembering all of the "last year at this time". So we decided to take Logan to Disneyland on his D-aversary. That way we got to have fun as a family and I would not have a day of sitting around crying remembering that day "last year".

I think/hope we will continue to make it a special day about him that will evolve as he gets older. For a 3 year old, he doesn't understand what that day meant, it was just another day at Disneyland but someday, he will know and hopefully appreciate the day we celebrate as the day his life was saved (because we came awfully close to losing him).

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb is also older. He really enjoys having that day to tell diabetes where to stick it. Before his 1st ann, he thought the idea was wierd, but when the time came he loved it.

9. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

I just talked to him today. He's kind of waffling and wants a couple days to think about it. His first response was, "I don't really care... either way". Then again... we've learned that short a flat out "no" from a 16 year old boy often means, "yes", but it's not "cool" to say yes. Meaning.. if we push him... he'll would actually really enjoy it, but only as long as he can "play cool" and act like it's no big deal.

We'll play along, give him a day or two and see what he thinks. Regardless, he's still getting ambushed for paintball next Monday. lol