- advertisement -

To adjust basal, or not...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by scarral, Feb 26, 2016.

1. scarral

scarral Approved members

My son is almost 4yo and was diagnosed with T1DM in October. He's wearing a Medtronic pump and Enlite sensor. I've noticed the past few nights that his sensor readings go from about 100 to somewhere around 150-180 between about 23:00 and 01:00, and then go back down to the 100's slowly on its own, statying flat at that level from about 04:00 for the rest of the night. Would you suggest adjusting the basal to flatten that (keep it in the 100's throughout the night) , or given that it goes down anyway just leave it like that?

2. kledi

kledi Approved members

Same thing is happening to my 3 years old, maybe someone can give us some advice .

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

It's been a while since we pumped but those are basically good numbers. I wouldn't touch it.

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

I would leave it too. Sounds like good numbers.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes those are good numbers. Also three days data is not a lot to go on. However if you wanted to up the basal a smidge so that it kicked in at 23;00 hours that would probably be fine as long as she still stayed around 100 after 4;00. Do you normally adjust basal? If this is your first time maybe talk to endo.

6. scarral

scarral Approved members

Oh well, it seems like, the good number nights are over. Yesterday he was 285 at 2am, and now it's almost midnight, and he's over 200. I know two nights is probably not enough data to reach any definite conclusions (although from what I've read so far, there's no amount of data that you can gather to be able go reach any definite conclusions with this disease anyway...) but there is definitely a trend of him going higher and higher at the same time every night. Could this be a sign that the honeymoon is about to come to an end? Interestingly enough, I'm also seeing his BG rising in the morning, from about 5 or 6am. At the same time I've been trying to "tame the breakfast spike" (his BG used to rise quickly after breakfast, up to 300-400, then back down again to 50-70 one to two hours later) by bolusing 15 minutes beforehand, and since then I've reduced his bolus insulin in the morning from 1:30 to 1:40. So it looks like he's needing less bolus and more basal overall. The past week he had 75% of TDD as boluses and 25% basal, I guess I'll see more an approach to 50% 50% in the following weeks.

In any case I'm going to start increasing basal at those times of the day. Wish me luck!

7. kledi

kledi Approved members

This night time its the most complicated part of D menagment for us. In 7 months from his diagnos maybe he had only 1 month with good numbers which i didnt had to correct. We have try everything with his doctor, change basal dose ,whatch what he eats at dinner, watch for undetected lows , nothing makes sense, the rise starts soon as he goes to sleep. I thougt that on pump it mus be easiest to contol that raise