- advertisement -

To 504 or not

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Caydens_Mommy, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Just needing some advice.. Cayden will be going to a new school this year a public school (he has been in private school) and I am having a hard time trying to decide whether to do a 504 or not.. I talked with a lady at the school and she said they are very good with working with kids with D, they have several there and none of them have 504's.. So should we have one or not? Opinions, advice? Honestly i am not really sure about a 504 since we did not have one in place at the private school.. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

If the school has a diabetes plan in place then the need for a 504 is probably not as crucial. I would have them show you their policy and procedures in assisting type 1 children. If they didn't have any written practice I think I'd want a 504.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our school is awesomesauce about D care, but we still have a 504 plan for a couple of reasons. (1) Principals come and go. Teachers come and go. Nurses come and go. All it takes is for one new principal/teacher/nurse who is not so awesomesauce about D, and then you have a headache on your hands. If you have the plan in place when everyone is great and cooperative, it makes everything so much easier. For instance, last year they changed the bus routes without considering the fact that they'd now have a D 1st grader on the bus with no trained individual for 50 minutes. (Prior to that, he was only on the bus 20 minutes, and that's within my comfort level.) I went round and round with them about this. They weren't uncooperative exactly, but they dragged their feet and hemmed and hawed until I finally sent an e-mail that said, "You know, I think we need to add transportation to our 504." Bam! Within 48 hours we had a meeting with the administrator who handles transportation issues, and it was done.

(2) Once they begin state testing (in 3rd grade here), you HAVE to have a 504 plan if you want official testing accommodations. If he alarms low during a test, I want him to be able to test and treat without being penalized for that. (And the school should certainly want that too! These are NCLB scores and it's in the school's best interest that he test as well as he is capable of testing.)

So yes, I'd go ahead and get the 504. Ours is very bare-bones and basic, but I'm glad we have it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree with Karla on all points.

I just want to add that as for the issue of "they are being so nice" - look at this as an opportunity to PUT IN WRITING what is expected from everyone and how issues will be handled if they arise. That way there are less surprises. If the 504 is violated - it does not mean that OCR comes riding in or that things usually become contentious. Most of the problems I've had were solved after an email or talk with the teacher or principal.

I would liken it to buying a house. Even if you really, really like the sellers - would you do it all by verbal agreement rather than a contract? The contract spells out expectations and limitations for both sides and will probably just end up putting in writing what the school already does - since it is so "good" anyway right?

I also wrote a post awhile back that has a reference to 4 documents on the ADA website that I think are the best when presenting the 504 idea to your school and I really encourage you to use them. Also the ADA will send you a free school discrimination kit: 1-800-DIABETES. http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showpost.php?p=675202&postcount=7 At the bottom of that post is a link to those documents.

Good luck!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Savy, I would go ahead and have one for Cayden. Im glad that the school is great with kids with d, that is so important to be able to trust the people that are with him during the day. The 504 just makes sure that all of his needs are met and that everyone understands what the schools legal obligations are. Once in awhile you get a teacher or other staff member who doesnt know about type 1 and they dont think that our kids have to have things any different then other kids but sometimes they do

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Public School teacher here

I am a public school teacher and parent of a type 1.

Definitely do a 504 and don't let them talk you out of it. As nice as schools can be - and some are GREAT - having a 504 is what the school is required to do BY LAW for your child. This is protection for you - federal law - and for your child.

I agree with the other postings that things may come up - that may have to be addressed in a 504; teachers, principals, nurses and secretaries may change. It is important that everything is in writing and everyone should have a copy - bus drivers, teachers, pe teachers, nurse - etc.

Good luck

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes...do the 504...for all the reasons already stated. You should ask yourself...why NOT do one?? And don't consider the school's response to that question.;):p Your child deserves all the protection he can get at school...and as much detail on how he should be cared for as you can provide. It can only be a positive thing for both of you. The school may drag it's feet for whatever reason...but it's your son's right under the law. Take advantage of it.

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Another vote for a 504 here. As the others said, better to get it done now in a cooperative atmosphere than after problems arise.
    It spells out the expectations of all involved parties and makes it clear what your child needs.

9. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

There are a number of good reasons to have a 504, many already mentioned here. I cannot think of one good reason NOT to have a 504.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Personally, I'd go with a 504.. there just aren't good reasons NOT to have one, but a 1000 to have one.. It not only protects you, and your child, but it protects the school.. it spells everything out for them so everyone can be on the same page.. thats important.

11. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree with everyone else - get the 504 especially while the school is "awesome" because you just never know when the nurse or administration will change.

We have an IHP (individualized health plan) and a 504. I plan on adding more things to his 504 when he goes to middle school. Use of cell phone for before/after school activities and on the bus was a biggie to get Ok'd for us but the nurse isn't there when choir practice starts.

Good Luck!

12. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

My dd has not had a 504 up until now, and we are getting one. She will be in second grade this year. We are moving, which means switching schools. Even before that, I was going to request a 504 at the school she was attending. After reading on here, I knew that I would be more comfortable with a 504. The school staff was great for the most part about dd's diabetes, but we had the occasional-she's in a low let's send her to the school nurse with another child as a safety measure-with which I was not comfortable.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I really encourage you to get a 504 plan into place. Of course you will also have a diabetes medical management plan in place as well The two are completely different but complement each other. I am saying this because the 504 plan will protect your child from discrimination due to his or her diabetes while in school. For example in the 504 plan you can put the right for your child to carry his testing kit and quick acting glucose with him or her at all times, unlimited use of the bathroom, unlimited water, the right to take a test at a later date if your child is too high or too low and cannot function, extra time to make up missed homework or assignments, etc.
    Also remember the diabetes medical management plan is not a legally bindng document where the 504 plan is and you have the protection of the OCR behind you and federal law.
    When schools tell parents that a 504 plan isn't necessary, I see little red flags waving in the breeze.

14. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We have a 504 in place and I highly recommend having one. We love our current elementary school and have had no major problems, however, my son will move up to an intermediate school next year (5th&6th grade). Our current nurse has warned me that we may have some issues. By having a 504 in place now, it will follow him to the new school next year.

15. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I agree with everyone, get it. We have the HCP attached to the 504. We are even going for an IEP b/c Zach has some other issues that are not being addressed and he is being disciplined for things related to ADHD.
    He is starting 2nd grade at a new school because the principal at the other school insisted she knew more than anyone.

I say better safe than sorry.