- advertisement -

Tips to keep infusion set adhesive stuck on

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Sep 2, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter is a new pumper. Her comfort short infusion sets (the egg shaped adhesive ones) seem to lose their "stickiness" pretty quickly - today it was 24 hours after insertion, post shower. We have some medical tape and I've just taped it down for now, but she had to change her set at school last week because it came unstuck even though we taped it down the night before.

I've seen posts recommending Tegaderm and Hypafix and IV Prep and IV3000 among other things. I'm happy to buy whatever will work for her. What's the best combination (she doesn't seem to have sensitive skin) to get these things to stay on 3 days? And - do you put the tape on top of the site and replace it daily for showers or is there a way around that? Now we're just using a regular alcohol pad prior to insertion and then when the edges and more inevitably lift, I kind of kind of tape around the connection spot, but it's clearly not working too well.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We don't tape infusion sets, but for her sensor OpSite works wonderfully. We had no luck with IV 3000 or tegaderm

3. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

We use hypa fix right over infusion sets work for baths no need to replace/retape within the three days We buy on amazon

4. mamattorney

How do you unhook for the bath? Do you just tape around that part?

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I've heard Skin Tac is stickier than IV Prep or Skin Prep. Then there is something called Tac Away that removes the residual adhesive when you are done with a site.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Opsite flexifix is awesome and probably your best option if you want to use tape. It comes in a roll. You would just cut about a 1 inch long piece off the roll and fold it in half. Then cut a tiny semi circle out that will fit around the part the tubing connects to and place it on the site with the tubing unhooked. It should last for at least 3 days and there is no need to remove it to shower. Amazon is usually the cheapest place to order it. It is pricy for a roll but you should get over a year out of it if you aren't using it for sensors as well. You want the 2 inch kind-- the 4 inch is too big for what you need.

In terms of skin preps, I am not a fan of IV prep. I really like mastisol. You can just order a bottle (again amazon is probably the cheapest) and use a q-tip to put it on the skin.

Skin-tac also works well (but not as well as mastisol in my opinion). Here is a link for free samples:

http://www.torbot.com/freeSamples.html

Personally, I find IV3000 worse than worthless but some people disagree with me. For the next few days you can pick up a package of tegaderm at your local CVS or target (you want the 2 3/4" kind) and use that as you would the opsite if you don't want to wait for a package to come in the mail. It works pretty well :cwds:

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Agree that Flexifix is the best tape, but you can also use either Mastisol or Skin Tac on the back of the site before inserting. You will need an adhesive remover to get them off though.

8. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

Opsite and Skin Tac have worked great for us. I definitely agree to get it on Amazon, we have had the roll of Opsite for 3 months and still haven't even used half of it.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use IV Prep on insertion site. It helps it stick better. Make sure you let it air dry a bit before you stick down insertion set on top of this

10. mamattorney

Thanks - for now I've ordered some Flexifix tape to see if that will help. Next step will be to add either Skin Tac or IV Prep, too. Love Amazon Prime free shipping - we can have the other by the next change if the tape alone doesn't help.

I love how the set adhesive peels up seemingly instantly, but the little bandaid I put on her previous site spot is stuck on like superglue *frustrating*

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

You may want to open a new box and see if they're stickier. We're in the middle of a box of silhouettes that refuse to stick. This is a new thing - they've always stuck before. But I wonder if perhaps unomedical is having an issue (they make both sets, both are actually the same exact set. )

12. mamattorney

OK, I'll try that. I would love if it were just a single box issue.

13. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

So glad you asked this - we just finished a pump trial and are moving forward; I was coming here tonight to ask this exact question. Thanks to all who answer!

14. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

We've always used Skin Tac to stick, and Unisolve to remove. They never fall off, even with swimming and showering. I get them both with his pump supplies through Minimed. Check with your particular pump company. When we first started pumping, and I didn't even know they would supply this, I found it at a local medical supply pharmacy. Good luck!

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You've already gotten some good advice on tapes. We prefer Opsite.

A couple of other things to consider - don't put a new site on if your daughter is going to shower, bathe, or swim in the next couple of hours. And if she is using things like bath gels or lotions, that may be interfering with adhesion as well.

16. mamattorney

Arggh . . . another one fell off today. She replaced her site yesterday. It's so frustrating. It appears to be sticking, when we place it, then she woke up this morning and about a quarter inch all around was unstuck. The Flexifix should be here today. I hope it helps. We must be "short" 3 sets from this box of 10. I hope they let me re-order early because we will never make it through 3 months at this rate.

17. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

If you want try skin Tac pm me your address ...we have a bunch and Daniel is allergic you are welcome to it.
    Since we realized the skin Tac is what was causing the breakouts I bout iv prep and it seems t work fine for him.

18. shannong

shannong Approved members

We had skin irritation with skin tac, but it did work great if your child's skin tolerates it. Now we use opsite and love the stuff. My son gets skin irritation to most everything, but not opsite. We bought the roll. After inserting the site, I cut a few inches off, fold it in half and cut out a square that just fits over the site. Before opsite, every site was falling off too.

19. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We use IV prep and opsite over the sites. I would not retape every day because the opsite sticks well to the site and could potentially pull it out if you're not 100% careful. It'd be easier to shower with the pump while using opsite IMO. Our insurance covers it through the durable medical thing so we get it from edgepark. They wouldn't cover tegaderm. However, we had samples of tegaderm and it came off the first night. We used medical tape before opsite.. what a waste. It didn't do anything to help it stick.

If going in the pool with opsite, I'd use more of it. my daughter's site was falling off after being in the pool for 2 hours. Normally it works well though

20. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members