- advertisement -

Tips on potty training for T1 toddlers?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

We are in the process of potty training my 2.5 year old daughter.... Just curious if anyone has any tips? I am a little nervous about overnight and nap time, because of blood sugar fluctuations and such. Any and all tips appreciated!

Jen, mom to Sammie, diagnosed at 8 months
    Pumping with purple Minimed Revel and Sure T infusion sets
    Now CGM'ing and just got the MySentry!

2. Faith

Faith Approved members

I probably left training my son a bit later than my other children but it seemed to go just as well as it did with the others. The only thing is my son is still not dry at night and a slightly higher night means he pees more than normal. He is still in nappies at night, my husband has forgotten to put my sons nappy on three times in the last month and we have had a very wet bed! I was prepared to have far more accidents with my little boy but I really don't think it was that bad. Good Luck!

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Our son has been doing fairly well with the toilet training. He is not much later than his siblings were. If he is high he obviously will have to go more often but during the day he is managing pretty well.

Nights are difficult for him because we have to feed him through a tube while he is asleep so there's so much fluid in him that there's not much chance of getting through the night dry but that's just down to his particular situation. I'm sure others will be able to help with the nights.

I notice your daughter is on a pump. We put the pump in a backpack so that it is out of the way while he is toilet training. Previously it was on the waistband of his pants but that doesn't help with toileting.

Good luck.

4. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

It took us a long time. It was a fight, some days better than others. When her BS moved around allot (80-300) she would have little accidents and run for the toilet. Once we started pumping it was better (80-200 consistently) it was much better. We still have some issues at night, Recently we have had consistent numbers at night and are dry in the am. It is frustrating and I have no easy answers just suggest trying to make progress every day.

5. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My son with D really wasn't hard to potty train. Occasionally needed extra patience and extra bathroom trips when his BG was high. He started being dry at night at age 2. We would use a pull up at nap and night time just in case, then switch back to underwear when he woke . My nonD daughter just started staying dry at night at age 6. According to her pediatrician, all kids have different time tables for staying dry when they are sleeping and he doesn't worry until age 7-8. When kids stay dry during waking hours they are considered potty trained.

Good luck

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We didn't find our D child any harder to train than our non-D child. I don't think he's ever had an accident at night, high or not. Obviously experiences with this vary.