- advertisement -

Tips for traveling

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

We will be going on our first long trip since our dd was dxd inOct. We will be driving to NY - 2day trip, 5 hours each day - stop at noc at hotel (with fridge in room) She is not on a pump but I am looking for tips on traveling - i'm sure all the experts here have some great ones!!! Thanks in advance:D

2. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

First of all, take twice as many D supplies as you think you will need. If you drop a bottle of insulin, it could break (happened to me once, but not while travelling). Extra strips, syringes, and I take as many meters as I can with extra batteries. There is lots more too,but can't think of it right now.

3. kc&me

kc&me Approved members

When I am sitting in a car for long periods of time, my bs tends to get high. Test often. I am not sure how you correct with MDI? You may want to up the insulin to carb ratio for meals. Have fun!

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

Take plenty of healthy snacks and sources of sugar for lows.
    What will the weather be like?
    Do you have something to keep the insulin from getting too hot or cold?

5. mamamccoy87

We will be traveling from Illinois to Buffalo NY on spring break(what's wrong with this picture???) so the weather will be cold. We are staying overnight in a hotel which will have a fridge and we are bringing a coolor for snacks and extra insulin. We will be in the car about 5-6 hours, and will swim when we stop for the night. I will have to convince DH to let kids run around a bit at rest stops;)

6. sariana

sariana Approved members

We drove from Southern VA to MA last summer, as already suggested, bring double the meds that you need. Non prescription stuff, you can always pick up if needed there. Something that I never thought of to bring along was a container to throw needles in. We ended up having to keep it all and drop in my dad's when we visited him...lol

7. CButler

CButler Approved members

We always keep a small scale, Calorie King book, baby wipes,
    sharps container and list of the carb count for common restaurants.
    (since not everything is in the Calorie King book.)

I guess we'd be arrested for all the paraphernalia!:eek:

8. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Keep stuff in 2 places so if one gets lost or stolen, you have more. For example, keep a box of strips in your purse & one in the suitcase. We learned that one the hard way!

9. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Make lists of everything you usually need for D and for other stuff. As others have said, take double of what you think you'll use and pack it in 2 sep places in case a bag gets lost. Test more often, esp after swimming. Have fun and remember, they have drugstores in Buffalo if you forget anything! (Jackson Hole WY only had recalled meters we found out after buying one there when Alex's meter died. But I bet there are more diabetics in Buffalo than in Jackson Hole.:eek:)

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

The Frio bags are great for keeping insulin cool while travelling. Just soak them in water for 10 minutes and they work for about 3 days. They don't keep it was cool as a fridge but very convenient. More compact then a cooler so you can keep it in a small travel bag.

11. mamamccoy87

Thanks for the tip!!!

12. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Get written prescriptions for everything from your endo. You never know if you'll need it

13. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

We're in Buffalo (Williamsville technically)! SPring break is not especially springy, but if you need extra supplies, PM us.

Shirley:)

14. mamamccoy87

Thanks! We'll actually be in Alden. Small world:)

15. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

weigh out snacks and put them in ziploc baggies, case of water bottles in trunk, and bring your own alarm clock or something cause hotel one could be broken.