- advertisement -

Timing insulin with tummy bugs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Apr 19, 2011.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Hi All.

Ava is home recovering from a NASTY tummy bug. She was in the hospital and on IV's for a week. UGH.

Good news, she is home, feeling perky and mostly back to herself. Bad news, the bug is still effecting how she is digesting food. Even though she is eating well, and keeping it all down (and not running to the bathroom) it seems that our timing is off.

At first we were only doing corrections, but then she was at constant 300's so I started bolusing for food again. BUT she is going low in the 50's and 60's (and getting glucose gel) as the insulin hits, then high into the three's when the food finally digests.

Today I tried post dosing by about 10 minutes but still had to add a juice box in. She didn't spike, but I'd like to try and level her out a bit better.

Any suggestions?

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I have found that digestion of the carbs is slower after Tyler has a stomach bug and will wait up to half an hour AFTER he eats to bolus for his food, this tends to ward of those pesky lows.

Hope she feels better soon!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Joy Im so sorry about Eva being hospitalized:( Im glad that shes bouncing back and feeling better now. Are you giving her any type of probiotic? Either yogurt with active cultures or what I prefer is the Culterelle capsules. I open them up and sprinkle in food or juice when the boys have been sick. It really helps the digestive tract to heal and start working more efficiently again

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I would bolus after the meal. Maybe try a combo bolus??

5. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

Joy, I am glad to hear that Ava is back from the hospital and feeling better!
    When Sophia had the stomache bug, we discovered combo bolus the week after. She had no serious bug but had slow carb absorbtion for 4 weeks. We had to lower basal (I think about 10 or 20 %) and we definitely had do to a combo for anything over 15 carbs. 80/20 or 70/30 or 60/40 over 2 to 3 hours depending on the food. Of course it took the four weeks to figure it all out. Once we had it all figured out, of course she went right back to her "normal" old self.

6. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Gosh what an ordeal you have been through. I am so glad she is home:) I don't have any advice, just wanted to say welcome home.

7. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Thanks all. This game of guess when the food will digest is sucking the life out of me. We've got 50's and 60's then 380's. :mad:

Frack. I'm trying combo bolus's. That seems to be helping. Though now she's at three hundred (BUT there wasn't a low before hand so maybe it will all fix itself by lunchtime. Who knows?)

Gah, this is frustrating and nuts. I'll keep plugging away at it and hopefully she'll be somewhat back on track when school starts up again next week.

Joy

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack had a tummy bug last week, and we find that it is just very, very hard to get things "right" for a week or two afterward. We were running a 70% temp basal and only bolusing for half of carbs for a few days. It's basically just a lot of trial and error and obsessively watching the CGM screen.

I hope Ava is back to normal soon!