- advertisement -

Time to pick new insurance??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by candise, Feb 5, 2010.

1. candise

candise Approved members

I am so thrillled to have a great new job. I get to pick new health insurance and have 4 choices. I can choose from Aetna PPO, Cigna Open Access Plus, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO, Aetna Select EPO. Just curious if anyone has experience with pump supplies through these companies. I will have a seperate pharmacy plan that is the same for all four. Any advice would be appreciated. The Aetna PPo has a $500 ded. and the other 3 have a $200 ded. I tried to get specific info on pump supplies and got nowhere.

2. Toni

Toni Banned

Each plan is different and for different states. Get the phone numbers from Human Resources and check out the policies on how many blood sugar strips per month, pump supplies, limitation on $ amounts, coverate for cgms, etc. Interview the insurance companies before signing up.

3. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Jeremy is not on the pump (yet) but from what I have read, supplies can be pricey. It would be important to get clarification on the cost of all supplies you would need.

The last thing you want is to sign up for what you might see as a good deal, only to find that they do not cover a costly item.

You may want to check with your endo about the companies in question to see if he/she could make a recommendation based on what they might know is covered.

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

This can be tricky. Some companies include insulin in durable medical equipment for people on a pump. One family here got a pump, only to learn that the cost of the pump had maxed-out their DME allowable for the year. They had no coverage for insulin or supplies after paying for the pump. Don't be seduced by first dollar coverage - what you need is last dollar coverage.

Chuck