- advertisement -

Time to do something....

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by jules12, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Tonight, my dd tried on one of my old party dresses from before marriage, before kids, that I wore when I was dating my hubby. She plans to wear it for the next school dance. While it is really kinda neat that she wants to wear it, it has made me realize just how far out of shape I have let myself get....so while I am up doing basal testing for the 3 night in a row, I have been doing some reflecting.

While I really doubt at my age I can get back to that size ever again - pre-babies, etc., I know I need to do something. Therefore, I am dusting off my old weightwatcher books (I know this program very well and it works when I follow it) and dusted off the workout videos including a new one I have never tried.

Starting Sunday, I will have all my ducks in a row, food shopped for, and exercise plan ready to begin. I am tried of being the "biggest Mom" when I go places and not feeling good about myself in general....guess I just needed to put it in writing somewhere to be accountable to myself to do this!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Good luck! I'm rooting for you. :cwds:

3. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I'm right here with you! Made my shopping list yesterday.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

May I join the cheering section??:D

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I've done WW age ago and don't really like it anymore, because it encourages losing weight as a temporary than permanent phase. And it's still too carb-heavy. Now, I think something like Atkins or paleo or primal is the way to go. Make no dietary or exercise changes that you cannot see doing for life.

Do you think you have to run 10 miles a day? Read this: http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

I just discovered this article too: http://www.rachelcosgrove.com/2010/10/the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-the-scale/

This is exactly why I've been doing. I don't own a scale, I weigh myself at my doctor appointments (every 3 months). My gauge of progress is how my clothes fit.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Interesting articles. The video I just purchased to do at home has this same concept of 20 minute workout with bursts mixed in. I will look into the other diets to see what they are about. I just know WW and I know how to stick to it when I am out and about too. Thanks!

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I just relaized recently that just joining Weighnt Watchers does not actually make you lose weight. :rolleyes: Ah well, . . .:p

8. obtainedmist

Yeah...like "thinking" of calling your mother-in-law!

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Joining WW doesn't make you lose weight -- you have to follow what they suggest.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Have you seen WW lately? I eat a lot of fruit, but almost no breads or other starches. If you follow the plan and exercise, you will lose weight.

11. denise3099

LOL. I would much prefer to just pay the money and have the weight magically disappear. Now that's a program I can stick to. :D

12. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I am doing WW now and maybe I have a leader with a different outlook but the WW meeting I go is more focused on a lifestyle change to more healthy choices ..any diet might help you lose weight but if you go back to the bad eating habits then you will just gain it right back. I really like WW because it is a plan that is very flexible and allows anything as long as you count it - which is really just portion control but I personally like the meetings and the support and ideas that come from it..but I am also a member of an at work program so I actually see other members daily and get a lot of support outside of meetings.
    I agree that the plan you chose should be something you can see yourself doing for a lifetime..for me Adkins and Dukan and all those that are restricting certain things or lots of protien and little or no carbs would not work for me personally because I really like carbs I just have learn moderation which with WW I have been very successful.

13. obtainedmist

The best thing about the new WW plan (and I know them all :rolleyes:) is that it encourages you to eat more fruit since it is considered free (as long as you don't consume 20 apples in one day...you are supposed to let your hunger/satisfaction dictate the quantity). I used to hate the old system where people would search for the lowest point items (that often had unhealthy ingredients) just to keep their points in check. At meetings, people would get all excited about the most awful products just because they were low in points, BLEH!

One thing that has helped me is to do it online. I love not having a chunk of time out of a day/week and keeping track on the computer is easy and convenient since I do so much work online. Plus, it's less expensive than meetings!:)

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Wishing you good luck and lots of FUN!!!

I just started on the exercise thing too. Trying out Zumba (which I love) and hoping to get a place for the (looking to check noone is looking:rolleyes:) bellydances...'cause I have a belly, people!:eek:

I get you on the biggest mom thing - today at back to school, I realized at my youngest's class I *AM* bigger than everyone else. Maybe that means I just have a lot of presence.:rolleyes:

Anyway, CHEERING YOU ON!:)

15. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

I will be here cheering you on - I was where you are right now at the beginning of the year. The final straw for me was when one of my son's friends said "Hi, Big Momma!" to me. Nice. So, I started January 1st, and my goal was to lose 100 pounds this year. So far I have lost 85!! I feel SO much better and it has been worth every drop of sweat - and trust me, there have been alot of them! Good luck to you - if I can do it, you can too!!:D

16. denise3099

You're a ROCK STAR!!! That's so awesome.

17. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

Congratulations!! That is very impressive - and such an inspiration!!

18. jules12

jules12 Approved members

WOW - Thanks for sharing - 85 pounds is awesome!! I am really getting motivated. I also picked out some clothes in my closet that I would like to fit into to help motivate me!

19. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Just wanted to tell you good luck. 2 weeks ago I started counting calories, working out and doing my thing because I found myself feeling the same way you do, I have lost 10lbs so far. I joined Myfitnesspal.com (it is free) and I love it there.. There is a forum there as well.. Good luck!

20. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Actually the "old" system was weighing and measuring with food scales and measuring cups/spoons. And when I say old I mean in the 70's and 80's, the Quick Step programs or Fast and Flexible for example. (I have booklets and food lists from both of those programs in my closet right now). That is what I grew up in and around as my mother worked there for 20 years (which is why I rarely participate in diet discussions, I come off as a know it all. :rolleyes:- She also worked for nutri system and diet center, and I worked for her both places as a teen). Anyhow the old WW programs not only worked (I have amazing before and after pics of her) but also taught what she called "behavior modification", taught people to eat right with veggies,fruits,grains,dairy protein,and, even necessary fats, so that they could not only lose weight, but learn habits to keep it off. She left there in the mid 1980s and they did not have the points system yet. I learned about that when I was pregnant with my son because a co-worker was on it. All I saw was her trying to get the right amount of points (as you said above) and she wasn't learning a darn thing about eating right. Every friday she would starve herself so that she could use all her points for happy hour. From what I saw her doing, it seemed like WW went the route of the convenient fast fixes my mother tried to caution people against. Glad to see they are getting back to what they used to be and teaching folks to eat right like they used to year ago!