- advertisement -

Thyroid

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Jun 6, 2013.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Hello again!

I just got some results back from my doctor about my thyroid. These are my numbers:

T3: 29
    T4 Total: 5.8
    Free T4: 1.7
    TSH: 2.84

Oh, and magnesium, potassium, electrolytes, etc. are normal. Extremely small protein in the urine but they think that it might be from one of the medications I'm taking as opposed to a diabetes thing. Then again, maybe it's another symptom; who knows!

EDIT: Celiac also came back negative, if that's in any way relevant.

I am having symptoms of hypothyroidism ranging from weight gain of 30+ lbs, cold in the extremities, and my hair is falling out like crazy! I'm having mood swings etc.

My depression is sinking back in, too. My sugars have been insane, so I'm not testing as much because it makes me anxious/nervous/depressed to test when nothing is working to bring them down. I realize that it's a bad thing, but I can't overcome it.

Could something still be wrong with these numbers? Or, am I left with a blank slate again?

This doctor that I'm seeing a great diabetiologist, but he doesn't seem to be too concerned about these symptoms. Meanwhile, I'm taking 65 units of lantus just to stay in the 200 mg/dl range with 200 u+ of Humalog just to try and keep things steady. I am eating low carb, and I'm STILL taking insane amounts of insulin.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

What about the cortisol testing? I know there is also another test called the dexamethasone suppression test.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

If you are on any kind of antipsychotic for bipolar disorder that can cause weight gain. If you are on lithium those levels, need to be monitored closely.

These problems could be medication side effects. Antipsychotics also cause insulin resistance.

4. CaitlynGrisham

When I asked them for it, they said that the only reason I would have high cortisol is if I had something like Cushing's. They said that I didn't have the "buffalo hump" that's indicative of the syndrome, so they didn't test my cortisol.

I am in the process of fighting them about it. If they won't give it to me, I'm going to go see a GP who will.

5. CaitlynGrisham

I was weaned off of my medication(s), because they wanted to eliminate the possibility that it was something like that. I was on Lamictal before, with a small addition of Zoloft.

Two months later, minus the bipolar meds, I'm still experiencing this, which is really unfortunate. At least if it were med-based, I could do something about it.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Have you tried/considered metformin or symlin?

7. CaitlynGrisham

Symlin didn't work for me (much to my endo's chagrin). Metformin made me sick to my stomach both in normal form and in extended release form.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Right sorry I remember now that we have discussed that.

What about Victoza?

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They tested my levels and I had no buffalo hump. Another symptom is abnormal stretch marks

Victoza is supposed to be awesome. I am on januvia. Victoza is super expensive

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

What about PCOS ? Have you been tested for that ?

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

This would be next on my list. I would read up on the differences in normal hormone levels in T1s first though.

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Have you tried U500 insulin? For people who are taking 200 or more units per day, I've read that it can really improve control because absorption is not so great when the volume of the dose is that big.