- advertisement -

Thyroid question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 22jules, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My type 1 daughter for 9 years has been experiencing really low blood sugars all of the sudden. She is 17 and has gone from a TDD of 45 to around 30. Along with this she is really irritable and seems kind of depressed and for the first time ever unmotivated. She has received all sorts of good news recently - got into her first choice college with a large scholarship- so I don't think this is purely teen emotions.

Because of her change in demeanor and because my older daughter has Hashimotos- I had her endo test for celiac and thyroid. Her celiac seemed good - her immunoglobulin A was low though. The part that is curious to me is that her TSH was in range but on low side and her T3 was out of range low. They are going to run more blood work- but fasting this time.

Anybody have any experiences they could share that might give me a clue as to what we could be dealing with. I really hope to get this all sorted out before she leaves for college.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I've not reached that level with a diabetic, but do you know when she finished puberty? My daughter was about 16 or 16 1/2 (my non-D). A change in puberty hormones could contribute to the reduction in TDD

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I guess it could be that- she went through puberty on the late side but it has been at least 2 years since the official start. But my thought is if it's puberty ending then why the really intense emotions? She is really unreasonable and it is very out of character for her. I keep thinking that we are dealing with a thyroid issue-before my oldest was diagnosed with hashi's she was really "on edge". But the blood test came back with a low TSH and antibodies which this one did not. She was technically hyper thyroid because her body was ramping up before she went hypo

Thanks for the response

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When my daughter was dealing with some of this, I had her talk with Jenny Smith of Integrated Diabetes. Jenny told me later she was just overwhelmed with the thought of the responsibility she is facing in the not-too-distant future. It reallyl helped, and I'm glad Jenny will help us through the transition to independence!

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks for the suggestion- maybe it is just her impending independence

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I debate at times whether to ask for a counseling appointment, but for my kid, it seems like being able to talk to a person who has lived through the same is what she needs. I saw an immediate change in my daughter after that conversation, and now when she's feeling overwhelmed, she'll say she needs to talk to Jenny. As awesome as our hospital team is, they haven't lived it, so it's a different relationship and perspective that she gains.

7. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks for your response MomofSweetOne - I completely agree with this! I think it would help to talk over things with someone who also has to go through the same things.