- advertisement -

Throwing up with ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

This is Ashlee's first time being sick since diagnosis. She woke up and said her tummy was hurting then ended up throwing up once soon after that. Bg was 250s and 1.2 ketones. I gave her a normal correction a little before she threw up and checked her ketones. In a normal situation, I would push water to help clear the ketones, but I'm sure that will induce more vomiting. Can you please give me some advice on where to go from here, I sure would appreciate it!!

2. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Do you have Zofran (anti-nausea) or Phenergan for the nausea? Do you have glucagon? Are you familiar with mini-glucagon? I'd call your endo for advice. The first stomach flu since diagnosis is hard to manage. You need her blood sugar to rise so you can give her insulin for those ketones, which is tough when she is vomiting.

3. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Start with little sips of a sugar drink, like regular 7-up, at 10 min or so intervals. I've also used regular popcicles and regular jello if her stomach can handle it. Usually right after you vomit there is that window where your stomach feels better and you can get a little more carbs in so you can give more insulin.
    Definately call your endo to review a sick day plan. My endo would want me to call anyway if the ketones and vomiting go for more than a few hours.
    Hope she feels better soon!

4. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

so sorry she is sick :( It is never fun...for anybody

Definately push the liquids and get some insulin going if you can. Its a tough battle. Keep an eye on her bs number as well...if shes vomiting up her carbs after youve given insulin, make sure she isnt dropping.

I hope she feels better soon!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You should be okay as long as BG stays high enough to give insulin. Don't worry about giving water - really, only insulin clears ketones. Water heads off dehydration, but right now, don't "waste" liquids on water. Give Gatorade, regular soda, or whatever her tummy can handle that has carbs so that you can give insulin.

The rule of thumb that I've heard is that if they keep something down for 15 minutes, their body has absorbed at least part of whatever it is, especially a liquid.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is what I follow as well. Ketones with high blood sugar indicate a lack of insulin. Water in no way replaces the insulin and the ketones will clear after the insulin kicks in.

7. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Her ketones cleared after the first correction and she didn't throw up anymore after the first time. Strange, but so glad it has turned out to be so mild!! She's been totally fine and I actually had to stop her from dancing and jumping on my bed!! :eek: Hopefully, it stays this way, she's taking a nap right now. Thanks for all your help!!

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Woo hoo! Best news all day. I was wondering how things were going for you this afternoon. I'm so glad she's feeling better. That's great!