- advertisement -

Three years of Diabetes..

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Danielle2008, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I'll never forget one of the questions my mom asked my Nurse Educator at the Barbara Davis Center, was whether or not I could still ride horses. She had tears in her eyes at the thought I couldn't do something I loved so dearly. My educator, of course, eased her worry and told her Diabetes was not the end all, we could do absolutely anything.

Over the past three years, I've had some challenging moments, emotional moments, and some truly amazing moments. I've met individuals from this forum and at other get-togethers, who have truly inspired me to challenge myself beyond what I thought I was capable of. Children and adults who do more in their life, and overcome more then I could ever imagine.
    "
    One of the most inspirational quotes I read right after diagnoses, and I said it in my very first post on this forum, was by Randy Pausch, "You can't change the cards you are dealt, Just how you play the hand."

It is something that I have found applies to just about anything in life. Or as my brother says, "It is what it is." I think you all agree when we say, Diabetes does not define who we are; it is simply with us for the ride.

Thank you for the advice, support, and "listening ears" each of you have provided since I joined in August of 08'.

I am still very "young" in regards to my diabetes knowledge, and the information and insight provided here is absolutely endless.

As to my mother and to that one very first question she asked my educator. Diabetes has not slowed that passion down one bit.

[​IMG]

2. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

Thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate it. It was a very refreshing reminder that our children can do anything their heart desires. I'm so glad you can do what you love and have such a positive outlook. Thanks for the great quotes and the picture is amazing. :)

3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Thank you for your post Danielle. Happy to see that you are doing what you love to do.
    Here's to many happy, peaceful years ahead.

Wish I could be more like Randy Pausch!

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Congratulations on all your hard work. And very nice thread. I also wanted to say thank YOU for all your posts on this site. You, Trish, Emma, and Jonah (and several others) have a unique perspective and I always enjoy reading the contributions that you all make here.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Danielle you are wise beyond your years and a wonderful role model. Lots of hugs to you on your anniversary of diagnosis. :cwds::cwds: Great photo!!

6. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Beautiful picture. Thank you so much for sharing your story...I think my DD's first question to her doc was "When can I go back to dance and karate?" I will pass your post on.

Thank you again,
    D.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Congratulations on the successful journey, so far!

Wishing you continued good health and (selfishly) the time to continue to contribute your insights to the forum. ;)

Love the jacket btw :cool:

8. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Awwww Danielle, you are beautiful and an inspiration to all of us! Congrats on 3 healthy years and for not letting d stop you!!!!

9. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Judy is right - you are beautiful - and wise beyond your years. Thank you. I hope my daughter will have your attitude to life! :)

10. joan

joan Approved members

Thank you for the beautiful post. You have a great attitude and that makes all the difference. I wish you continued great health and happiness. Hows the restaurant doing??

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You have a great attitude! Sending you wishes for a very healthy and happy life!

12. buggle

buggle Approved members

Your parents must be so proud of you. I'm so glad to see that you're not letting diabetes slow you down. "It is what it is," has become my motto too. None of us knows what life will throw at us. So you've got to make the most of it.

13. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Well said! My son was diagnosed around the same time that you were and he'll turn 20 tomorrow. I appreciate your perspective on things because he doesn't always voice his feelings about D.

Congrats on being happy and healthy for the past three years! It's great to see that D hasn't slowed you down one bit!

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

What a great picture and post!! Thank you for sharing this post and all of your other thoughts on this site.

Congrats!

15. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Thank you all for the kind comments:cwds:

I receive much more here, then I have ever given...for that I really am thankful. I still remember how fun it was to meet quite a few of you at FFL that time (Michelle, Cami, Trish and many more.). I was still only a year out, but you all provided great comfort then.

Joan, The restaurant is doing fantastic! Thank you for asking! I know it is a bit stressful still for my parents, the opening of any business is. However, the feedback we've gotten has been great. People really love it. The biggest issue we have had so far, is the fact the place is too small LOL! We often have long waits for dinner, and if we were larger it would help with that. Starting to have the Patio available has been a great so far. So we expect a good summer and fall!! I was doing the office stuff for my Dad for a time, but I recently went back to the Hospital I worked at for the last 3 years (I never really 'left', I just went PRN....basically on call as shifts became available). Simply because that is more in the direction I see the most growth for myself(plus....you can't beat their benefits). It has been a good year all around so far.

Sarah, Glad you like the jacket! That was for Horsemanship (you have to do a pattern), and I didn't have anything to wear(I only have a jacket I made for our Pleasure class)...so my trainer gave me one of her shirts. Thankfully, we are all close enough in size!

16. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Love this! Thanks so much for such an inspiring post! :)

17. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Danielle, I agree you are an inspiration to the parents here. It was great meeting you at the restaurant. My SILs comment was: We had a bit of a wait, but it was well worth it! Definitely a place we will be going to again!

18. Noel

Noel Approved members

Awww Danielle!! Love you! Congratulations on 3 years. It is inspiring to see people truly LIVE with diabetes, not just survive! You go girl!!!

Aidan still mentions meeting you at FFL....he says "Mom remember that pretty lady with the long hair, you know the one who was soooo brave and got the sensor in her arm, and even showed me!!!"

The picture is beautiful! Love seeing it, thank you for sharing. And as much as I hate that you (or anyone) has to be a part of this community, I am thankful that you are here.