- advertisement -

Thoughts on the 'New' Hannah Montana Episode

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, it just finished, and I have got to say, the did it pretty nicely, mentioning type 1, and saying he was low and needed sugar. Yeah - there were some things 'off' like how he tested, but all in all I thought it was age appropriate and wasn't offensive.

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I agree and just watched the end and feel they wrapped it up very nicely.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I agree! A HUGE Step from before -and I"m ok with the silliness but overall it was such a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement. (Ian said it was a CGM..maybe??)

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

My daughter knew about the episode.
    She didn't like him falling down the stairs in the beginning.
    I guess after she heard her teacher mention fainting and seizures.

I wasn't impressed at all.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I agree Becky, and I really liked the last part - "I learned there are 40 kids per day diagnosed with type 1, you can't get it by eating too many sweets, and if you take insulin appropriately, exercise, and eat a balanced diet you can be anything you want to be."

6. frizzyrazzy

you would have really really hated the original.. eeek.

7. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

eons better then the original

8. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

This is what I wrote in the original thread:

IMO-it was perfectly fine. Was it 100% accurate? Of course not, but they did improve the episode. Nothing was offensive, not like the original.

They did change it. First, Oliver does not got dumpster diving for the piece of candy as before.

Secondly, he does not go 'nuts' for candy at the sweet 16 party. The entire time, he has his 'game' on and is trying to flirt with the girls. Hannah and the other girl go crazy stuffing themselves with the candy so he won't eat it.

In the end, Oliver goes to have a cupcake, they dive on him...and he asks, for the 100th time, "whats wrong with you guys?"

The girls explain they know he has diabetes, and then Oliver responds.

He tells the girls that he has "Type 1 Diabetes" and that he can have sugars and sweets. He says he just has to monitor his blood sugar/take insulin, and at this time he takes out the One Touch Ultramini, and 'tests' himself. He then has a 'low' bloodsugar, and explains that he is actually a little low right now, and could eat something, like a brownie.

Still a show, not looking for them to explain the disease. However, this time around, they did correct the major flaws. At least, IMO.

ETA: I still don't know what the point of the episode was. For those whose children watch the show weekly, does Oliver continue to have Diabetes? Or was this just a random plot?

9. CButler

CButler Approved members

I think it was fine. At the end, this is probably enough info for the general public to take in, but it did make it sound somewhat easy to manage diabetes when we know it's not all the time. But overall, it was okay. Much better than the original.

10. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I was really looking foward to this episode.
    I told every mom to watch it.
    I know it's a kid show, but how does one check their blood sugar by looking at it?
    Whatever,:rolleyes: I guess I had higher expectations.
    Maybe Nick Jonas should do a show on his SHOW about diabetes.

11. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

It doesn't have to be perfect... I'm happy if it doesn't perpetrate the worst myths and stereotypes of Type 1. It sounds like Disney has done the right thing, and gone far and above the call. In the end, it is a silly sitcom, not a medical documentary. Bravo Disney, and to the parents right here that made a difference. I hope we letter bomb them with praise now!

12. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I posted on the original thread. My daughter saw the first one and LOVED this one. She said she wished she could show the last part at school. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the first. It is more than I expected by far.

13. frizzyrazzy

14. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Writing the email now!!!

15. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Absolutely agree.

They really stepped up and fixed the issues that were in there the first time around. The attempt was obvious, and they did truly emphasize that we are 'normal'(yes...with a little more work involved;)).

As you said, Bravo DIsney.

16. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Oh yeah exactly we know it's not easy to manage, but it's Hannah Montana not a piece of medical journalism or whatever. I think there needs to be limited goals set forth in something like this. Much better than the original I agree.

17. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

arn darn...we had a mini putt putt tourney for JDRf this afternoon and just got home...we missed it!!!!

18. CButler

CButler Approved members

I e-mailed her and thanked her. This is a huge victory, I think.

19. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I thought it was good. It made life with D seem like a very uncomplicated thing (not so much)lol I guess if they were going to add all the details of life with D it would take the entire season!

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Wow! Sent an email to Ms. McTeague and got a personalized response almost immediately! Ya think they wanna know how they did?