advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thoughts on ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by andeefig, Mar 9, 2008.

1. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Just wondering the general consensus on ketones....I know we are told to check any time they are over a certain number (250-300+ depending on child).

How many of you check for ketones after one high reading or do you wait to see if they are coming down and if not, then check for ketones?
    T
    his excludes sick days.

2. allisa

allisa Approved members

After five years of doing this, I very rarely check ketones any more when high.....If Ty is high....it is usally corrected within a couple of hours....and I guess I've just relaxed too much about it.

The only time I check ketones are when he is sick ....and I mean REALLY sick.....not just a sniffle or cough.....and then I check them every hour becuase we had one terrible episode once and I'm NEVER having that happen again !!

Or if he exhibited some symptom that was NOT right....you can tell when something is wrong....

But to answer your question....I am lax about checking ketones when healthy.....not saying that is the RIGHT answer....but that is the honest answer ;)

jendean likes this.
  3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby always has trace ketones, meaning either 0.1 or 0.2 on the meter. So, I will only check for ketones if:

She has two unexplained readings over 250 in a row
    She has had a site or pump failure
    She is sick

Abby develops ketones pretty quickly so we know that she always needs to be checked in these scenarios. As Allisa said, after years of doing this you get a feel for things and know when to make the call for checking based on your childs history.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Any time we get 2 high readings in a row (more than 250), after doing a correction, then we test for ketones...and change the site (we're on the pump...that is my son is...it's funny how it becomes a 'family' affair, isn't it?:().

We've been very lucky that he's never had more than trace ketones...except for three days ago, when out of nowhere, he was in the mid 200s, so we tested, and very high ketones....changed sites, and with endo's advice, all ended up ok.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

two highs in a row above 300 after correction we check for keytones.

now, thankfully, matt has NOT been sick since diagnosis... so I cant say what we would do when sick.

6. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

There was a time a few mos. after Mike was diagnosed that he was continually high for a few weeks, so I was checking fairly regularly but only when the meter said HI, which is over 500. The entire time, I only checked every few days and only repeated if it was "moderate" or more. After a trip to the ER when the keytones were high, things corrected themselves (surprise);)

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We don't take the endo's orders literally (checking every time over 240). That makes sense when pumping, but while on Lantus it's a bit too much.

I can't put an exact finger on it, but I'll do it if I get a single very high reading (say 350+) or a couple unexplained highs (250-350) in row.

Alex always reads 0.1 to 0.3 on the meter, so those are our baseline "zero" numbers.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

We used to check more, but never found any. Dangerous ketones are rare on MDI. We now check only when DD has been "stuck high" for many hours.

9. MysticSisters

MysticSisters Approved members

I'm paranoid and we've had ketone issues lately. We check with almost every trip to the bathroom. (we only use the blood meter when they need checked and she doesn't have to go, the strips aren't covered by insurance).

10. jendean

jendean Approved members

That is a good question. We check for ketones rarely. If he is high for more than two hours, then we check... but that is rare. We have the blood ketone tester and the pee tester.

WHen I am at camp, they do a uring ketone test every time someone is high. Every time over 250. the bathroom it littered with ketostix, and it is a PITA, but... sometimes when you don't expect it, there are ketones... that tells me that I should be more diligent at home about it.

11. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

We check for ketones regularly with any illness. She always runs some level of ketones when she's sick. (No matter what her blood sugar is)

With random highs we typically wait 2 hours after a correction. If she's not coming down we'll test for ketones at that time.

Anytime she says her tummy hurts or she has no appetite.

It's important to remember that even kids that have never had ketones can, and usually do become more prone to them over time. Once your c-peptide becomes unmeasurable you will get ketones very easily. For some kids it happens right away, for some it takes years, but you should always continue to test during illnesses. With vomiting it is an absolute must, no matter what the BG reading.

12. Julie

Julie Approved members

We *were* more relaxed about it, ie: only checking if sick or 2 reading over 250....we NEVER got them, till he started going thru puberty :eek:

Now we check once per day for good measure, regardless of his #s during the day, and every time he is over 250.

13. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

we used to check urine for ketones with anything over 250. now we do it only when sick or when "stuck high" as wilf said. it seems to be very ydmv.

14. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

We check for ketones if Connor has had a "high" day (with several unexplained highs) or if he's sick.

15. Boo

Boo Approved members

This is the way it is around our house too. Andy was sick last week. Missed 3 days of school, and barely ate anything for 3 days. BG numbers were mainly all on the low side. We did test for ketones during those days...all negative. Now that he's feeling better, he is making up for all of the food he DIDN'T eat for 3 days, and we're fighting the highs. :(

16. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

We hardly check, only when above 300, or if she's in the 200's all day, which is rare. However, she's never ever had ketones since dx (knock on wood), and if she does get very high blood sugars, we've been fortunate enough to get her back down quickly. There were days where she lived in the 200's due to sickness and the increased need for insulin, and she still didn't get ketones. I believe that was due to Lantus, and that's why I continue to use it.

That being said, some individuals are much more prone to easily developing ketones.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

After 5 1/2 years, almost, we only check if sugar is way off high - like 400 or more and if, say, 4 hrs and correction/site change have not improved things. She only had ketones a few times and always with tummy bug and probably "starvation" ones. Some kids are more prone, others not so much. Big case of YDMV

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I would check if Jacob was:
    1) Above 500 and then still above 400 at the next check
    2) Above 300 three times in a row
    3) Above 200 all day
    4) If he were sick

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we usually check if we have more than one high in a row.. she's sick or doesn't seem right.. the other day she was 400+ 2 hours after eating lunch I KNEW that her carb count was right, I was confident in that, so I checked for ketones, sure enough 1.4, we had a site pop off (she DROPPED her pump, it pulled out the site..)

20. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I checked Kats ketones seems like all the time at first. Found out by just seeing the numbers and comparing BS to ketones, that even if she has the unspeakable HI BS reading, as long as I dose her correcting the high right away and keep doing so, checking BS more frequently on the way back to normal (say twice in 3 hours instead of once) and recorrecting until normal, the ketones are like 0.4 or less, just trace. I dont get too upset anymore unless its above 1.0 and she has only gotten that once when she was sick with the flu and had eaten the cake and food at a birthday party all at once. Not even when she got empitigo did she go higher than 0.4 on ketones, luckily. :cwds:

I would say check them as often as you need to feel secure in your childs care. We all know how "often" changes like we have to change our undies.:D