- advertisement -

Thoughts on Bayer Linked Meter?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coeen, Jun 15, 2012.

1. coeen

coeen Approved members

Do you use the linked meter to your pump? So what are your thoughts on the Bayer Contour meter linked to your minimed pump? We just got all set up on ours and our trainer through the doctor's office doesn't think it is that reliable. Our nurse trainer for the pump through Medtronics doesn't see a difference and likes it. We use the Freestyle Lite and love it. The linked meter would save a step for his teachers at daycare if we decide to go with it. Just wondering.
    Thanks

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What?! The Bayer linked meter is out in the states now?!

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We use the Bayer Contour with our MM522 pump. Meh. It just saves you time with entering the BG. But I'm not a fan of the Contour. It gives weird BG reading sometimes, so I have to retest a couple of times, not often, but still.
    It's a quicker way to use the bolus assistant, but being that sometimes I override the bolus or correction suggestion, it's not that much of a "help" IMO.

That said, I still am grieving over my Cozmo. Meaning, changes are not my thing.

4. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hawkeyegirl, Our educator said it just came out in the states.
    Not sure when. :)

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We used the contour for a long while because we got a giant box of free strips from volunteering at diabetes camp. I agree with Paula, we also got some weird readings where we had to retest. It's not terrible, but just enough to not entirely trust it. I'd use it with free strips, but I wouldn't buy them given another choice.

6. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I think it just happened...I was surprised when the endo yesterday asked us if we were interested in the Contour linked meter. She only had 1 to show people what it looked like, the reps didn't even have extras to leave with her to give out to patients yet. It's the *old* style Contour linked meter. Also, MM is apparently in the process of switching new orders to ship with the Contour linked meter instead of onetouch.

Supposedly, the new USB linked meters are coming this fall:rolleyes:.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We've been using it for a couple of years, we got it with the pump. Prior to that we were using the One Touch. It works fine for us and I like that it automatically sends the reading to the pump for the CGM. It's very easy to use that way.

Anytime I've compared the results with our old meter they're virtually the same.

I don't like the way the interface works compared to the One Touch, but since we do everything on the pump and I never review the history on the meter it doesn't matter.

My biggest beef is the case. I don't like the plastic slip covers and the strip doesn't stick outside of the case far enough.

8. hawkeyegirl

Huh. I think I'll wait until the USB meters come out, so in MM time, that should be in 2018 or so. :rolleyes:

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had issues with mine (false lows).

10. hawkeyegirl

I wonder if they'll make current users pay for a new linked meter? I believe we got our 522 just before the One Touch linked meter came out, and they shipped us the OT for free. They could have just kept it, as it's a POS.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

The plastic meter cover sucks.

And there's not enough space for the Multiclix.:D I had to keep that poker.

PS - the Multiclix doesn't come with the Contour. I just like it too much to switch.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Have you tried the new FastClix? My daughter likes it even better than Multiclix, but it will be a while before our stash of Multiclix drums is gone.

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I don't like the Contour meter but we use it because it links to the pump/CGM. It's one step I don't need to worry about dd forgetting.

I find it difficult to read if I go back a few days to read BG reading from the meter. And it's big.

Of course, we used the Freestyle Lite before starting the pump...I miss the strip light so much at night. :(

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I have 3 contours, they're all consistant with each other , when I check them against each other, so they're accurate that way. They've made me lazy so I no longer use my Freestyles, even though I know they're accurate to what my numbers really are. Both my MM rep, and I find the Contour not as accurate to our real numbers. But it's truly what you're used to, I've gotten used to the contours, so I rely on them and use those numbers to treat.

15. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

A friend of mine is starting the Revel on Tuesday. Her pump shipped with the Contour Link.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

So let me understand:
    At one point way back when, Bayer linked to MM, didn't it? Then bayer was pushed aside for One Touch and now Bayer is back?

So we have One Touch meters that still link, Bayer that links and also the Nova Max that links.

Have both the one touch and nova max here. One touch I hate, it's just too huge and too unreliable. Nova Max didn't send me enough strips to test it out in a meaningful way. Now I have to to try Bayer too? LOL.

17. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I "think" they used to be involved with BD, not Bayer, The BD meter was horrible.

18. Mish

Mish Approved members

oh you're right! I got them confused.