- advertisement -

Thoughts on Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maciasfamily, Apr 3, 2012.

1. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Our Endo said we can get Caleb on the pump at 6 months from dx....so we're happily looking at Aug timeframe.

She said we would have to start with the Animas because it has lower dose amounts, since he uses so little.

Would you give me your feedback on the Animas? Are there different ones within the Animas family?

thanks for your feedback!

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Medtronic actually has smaller bolus capabilities and the same basal capabilities as Animas. You might want to update your endo on that information. ;)

3. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

We started our daughter on Animas in 2003 because it had the smallest basal rates, but now minimed has the same basal rates available, and even smaller bolus' available. We actually just received her 3rd animas pump yesterday. She has been using animas for 9+ yrs now.

Both are excellant pumps. I would learn about both, play with both hands on, and then decide which works best for your family.

4. maciasfamily

I noticed Animas is waterproof and the others are not as much. That is a big thing for us living in Texas, we live in the pool all summer long.

I thought I would like the pod better, but I saw it on a woman the other day, and it's pretty big. I would think on my little guy it would be too big for him now, but maybe as he got older.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As pp said, Medtronic now has the smallest bolusing amount, and their basal amount is equal to Animas. Here is a link to a comparison: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/current-pumps/pump-comparison

We've been using Animas since 2006 and have been very happy with it. We love the fact that it has a remote, we don't love the fact that it does not have an integrated CGM, nor does it look like it's being rolled out any time soon (and when it does finally roll out, there will not be a remote that will go with it). Customer service is good, though not as good as it once was, but still not bad. Animas is waterproof, however you have to be pretty careful with them in water. Always check for cracks, if the pump drops, I probably wouldn't take it in a pool (hairline cracks you can't see). But yes, Animas does tout the waterproof guarantee more than the other companies.

All pumps are pretty much the same, they all all do the same job which is to deliver insulin. It's just that some have more bells and whistles than the others.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

The only negative (other than no integration w/ a CGM yet) I see with the Ping is that once the bolus wizard gives you the insulin amount, you actually have to arrow up to confirm the amount in a window. This takes an extra 2-3 seconds, max. With medtronic, after the amount comes up, you just hit the ACT button if you agree with it. This could be an advantage for parents of little guys who don't want them to accidentally bolus themselves...but there is a lock function on the pump, so not a big worry.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Living in Texas, as well, the waterproof feature was one we looked at, but when I thought about it, the weight of having the pump on her suit would probably annoy her. SO, I wouldn't let that be the deciding feature for your little guy.

That said, we love the one touch. It's easy to use and does have small rate levels available, but as what was pointed out, the minimed has an even smaller.

8. maciasfamily

Good point. I didn't think about him not liking it on him, weighing him down, and where to put it on his swimsuit. So I will keep an open mind for minimed as well when the time comes....hopefully very soon!

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We use a Ping and love it. We don't mind dialing up to the insulin dose. I really like the remote feature.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm pretty sure both the Animas Ping and Medtronic Revel can deliver insulin in increments of .025. But someone with the revel will have to confirm that. We use the ping and are happy with it. We chose it mainly for the remote bolus features. We remote bolus a lot. I especially like it if Ashleigh is high in the middle of the night. I just bolus through the meter, and don't have to fiddle around and find her pump to bolus. They claim it's waterproof, but do say you have to replace the battery cap every 6 months. We've never tried it out though. Ashleigh always disconnects when showering or swimming. We also like the larger bright screen that animas has on their pump.

ETA didn't realize that animas basal is .025 but bolus is .05. I have just never needed to bolus that small of an amount before.

11. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

We have been using the Ping for about a year now and really like it. We chose it over the medtronic for the remote and the waterproof. At night, I don't have to roll him over or dig to find his pump (he is a light sleeper). And he swam with it all last summer without any problem because we go to a public pool and I am afraid to leave it at the chairs that it would get lost. I just make sure his suit has a velcro pocket and strings you can tighten the waist with. I think technology wise, medtronic is probably further along (integrated cgm...) but for our current needs this was our best choice.

12. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son wanted the waterproof feature, so we went with the Ping. We've been very impressed with its features, with Animas, and with its durability.

At the time we purchased it (2009), the integrated CGMS was "coming soon." If I'd known that it would still not be here in 2012, I might have adjusted my thinking and gone with the MM.

I do like that Animas finally released software that lets me upload data to my endo team.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes! We love this feature too, as does our endo.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

1.5 years with Animas, no complaints at all. The waterproof feature is very important for us as well (also Texans!), and my son does wear it in the pool frequently. Not the lake though, too high a risk of losing forever.

My son does not use the remote, but it's a nifty feature.

He uses Dexcom as well and doesn't really find the lack of integration any huge deal, but we do look forward to when the new one is FDA approved and available.

15. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

We recently trialed both the ping and the revel. We found the remote on the ping to be the major benefit when looking at the 2 tubed pumps.
    The MM revel has a remote, but it is like a key remote without the ability to see the dose that you have entered. We are on the omnipod, but for us the ping was the clear winner as the remote was wonderful. ESP at night when he needed a correction and I didn't want to look through a pump pack. IMO for a little child who doesn't bolus them selves the pings remote is a very very useful tool. Had we not stayed with omnipod, we would have gone with the ping Day to day use, that remote matters for us.

16. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have animas ping and absolutely love it. Having to dial in the dose for us is actually a reassurance that dd won't accidentally bolus. She will enter the recommended dose and read it twice before hitting the final go. The remote is a dream for us. We find we often check her at night and then use the remote to see what her iob is. This is so helpful for us as we are always checking iob to see how much insulin is left on the bolus before deciding to correct or not. Sure you can use the pump to check iob but it helps to not have to dig out her pump while she is sleeping.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The Medtronic pump is as waterproof as the Ping. Which is completely waterproof new out of the box, and less as time goes on. I woukdn't swim with either of them, but our pump gets wet all the time with no issues.

18. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I believe the difference is that the Ping is waterproof to a fairly deep depth and for a long period of time. The Medtronic is only water resistant and can't be submerged.

(From the Animas website: "it's waterproof up to 12 feet for 24 hours" The Medtronic website says this: "MiniMed Paradigm insulin pumps are water resistant and can be splashed or temporarily dunked in water. Patients should disconnect from their insulin pump prior to participating in water activities.")

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Any and all pumps can be destroyed by water if they have even the slightest crack (and crack they do)- ping, mm, whatever. It's all marketing. You submerge a pump at your own risk no matter the claims. Don't let that be the decider.

I dislike the ping for the added hassle of the bolus dial-up, but if I were new to pumping and didn't know any better and had a small child for whom the 200u cartridge was not an issue, I'd probably go with the ping for the remote bolusing capability.

20. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My sense is that they are essentially the same, but, to my cynical mind, Animas chooses to lure buyers in with their claim, while Medtronic chooses to refuse to replace soggy pumps with its classification!:rolleyes:

In either case, I would not allow my son to swim with either pump on; however, he has wound up in the water for an extended period of time wearing his Revel with no ill effects. As far as I'm concerned, the deciding factor really is remote vs. CGM.

Good luck and have fun making the choice!