- advertisement -

thought you'd all get a kick out of this

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by frizzyrazzy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I was thumbing through my big 'diabetes' book where I record rx info and came across Ian's hospital release notes. It was funny to read them because at the time they made absolutely no sense to me but there was one line in there that made my laugh so hard:

"Parents have completed their diabetes education"

bwhahaahaa.....3 1/2 years later and we're still learning.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh gosh, Michelle! Irony is the best!;)
    We're kinda like never-ending college grads, aren't we? Just missing a few extra credits, then the rules change, and we have other credits to get in.:eek:

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

That's pretty funny.

4. frizzyrazzy

I'm sure I probably read it at the time and thought "wow, we know everything!" lol

5. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering what our papers say. I'm going to look for them later. ;)

6. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

LOL We asked every Dr, nurse and educator if they were sure we didnt need a couple more days. We were terrified because we didnt feel ready but everyone thougth we had learned it well enough to take care of him. I remember about day 2 of being on our own I wanted to go back. Our learning never ends huh?

7. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

I like that.......never ending college graduate......boy ain't that the truth!!!:D

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My mum was like that too, but I was DESPERATE to get home. That hospital stay was especially terrible because one month before my diagnosis I had lost a really close family member who had been staying in the same hospital for 6 months. So I would be crying and saying that I just wanted out, and my mum would be like "I think we need a bit longer...."

As soon as we got home I realised what I had to cope with and wanted to go back. Haha. Luckily we got really good support from the hospital, we had to go back there for dinner on the day I got out, and for breakfast and dinner the next day. For the next few days, when I was on 70-30 Mixtard my D-nurse came over at shot time, to supervise and answer any questions. I'm pretty darnn thankful for that support.

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

oh wow Michelle...It really said that?? Our CDE who trained us kept throwing big diabetes words at us and she literally made me dizzy...lack of sleep from being in the PEDI ICU..I needed her to go a little slower ya know?

10. Eve

Eve Approved members

We were called "diabetic pros" at Kaitlins last appointment. I wanted to laugh!:rolleyes: It's been only 3 months and I know I have only scratched the surface.:eek:

11. frizzyrazzy

yep, it really said that .

to read it, it doesn't even tell half the nightmare that dx is....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  12. 2ladybugs

I like the "final insulin regimen" part. As if he were to remain on the same insulin regimen his entire life!! :p What do they know anyway!

13. frizzyrazzy

haha... I didn't even notice that! lol

14. 2ladybugs

I just looked at our discharge papers and it all looked pretty normal until I got to the last few pages. They gave us Certificates of Achievement! Ummm, ok. Like that's going to make me feel better! ;) Isabella also received a Bravery Certificate.

15. frizzyrazzy

Aww...I'd have liked a certificate LOL.
    I also noticed that it said "parents brought him to the er". LOL. No, mom all alone brought him to the ER. Father called ER after receiving frantic cell call, and promptly "ripped a new one" to some poor girl who had the misfortune of answering his call.

16. 2ladybugs

LMAO!! That's a good one! We went to the local ER and they are absolutely dumb! They have NO idea how to care for children that have emergencies. They actually put an IV in and then started a glucose drip! :eek: This is happening while the head nurse is reading the orders from the pediatrician that clearly states POSSIBLE DIABETES!

We were then transferred to another hospital about 45 minutes away. I gave the doctor/nurse transport team a really hard time. I told them that under no circumstances was I going to follow the ambulance. I was riding with my daughter! PERIOD! From that point on, the doctors were all really nice and explained everything. I even got special treatment while at the hospital! Everything I needed, no questions asked. :cool:

17. khannen

khannen Approved members

Heh... our ER was worthless as well. They gave her glucose through IV AND handed her a popsicle to 'make her feel better'. I got worse mother of the year award when I pulled it from her hands. Hello people??? They already had the DX and it said right at the top of the chart "TYPE 1 Diabetes".