- advertisement -

Thought you all you get a kick out of this...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by cmsullivan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im sorry if I misunderstood Carrie but this boys reaction at age 10 is more in line with a child much younger, Im thinking about 2 or 3. Im being honest here and with a 2 or 3 year old they often have very little self control. I would expect alot more from a 10 year old who can communicate his frustrations in more constructive ways. Steven is 10 and honestly, if he trashed a friends house like that I would feel horrible :(

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree, Becky. To the OP, what do you think would have happened if this boy did something like this at school? Do you think they would have just brushed it aside? I don't think so. I'm sorry if you are upset by how people are reacting to your story, however it is quite shocking and not normal behavior. :(

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

All we know about this kid is what you posted.. he trashed your bathroom, your house and took your son's medical equipment, put it in water and microwaved it.. We know nothing else about him.. to me, a child doing all that because of anger, he has some sort of issues he needs help for.. heck he may not even undersand WHY he's mad (most likely he doesn't).. but to put this out there on a public forum and expect people not to comment isn't right. Of course people are going to comment.. why else would you have posted it here? If its no ones business, then why post it here? Did you really think that all you'd get were comments on how 'funny' that is? I don't think its funny at all, he obviously needs some help, I hope he gets it (or is already getting it).

I've gotta ask... what did putting the meter in the microwave do the the microwave?:eek:

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

To the OP - though you did not intend it to, your original post invited negative responses about the boy in question. I had one all typed up and ready to go when I realized that there was more than 1 page to this thread.

Your original post did not share that the boy has mental health issues. You did share that he trashed your house and destroyed your kid's meter when you were away for 15 minutes.

The only conclusions that anyone reading the original post could come to were:
    a) the boy is a juvenile delinquent, and the police should be called;
    b) the boy has major mental health issues that urgently need to be dealt with;
    c) both of the above.

He and his family are fortunate that you are generous and forgiving. My sense is that your reaction to what happened (to try to see the humour in the situation) is not likely to be a common one.. :cwds:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Wow. This kid must have some serious issues. The responses to this thread would have likely been quite different if that important piece of information had been in your first post. :cwds:

I guess if nothing else, you learned that it's not very prudent to only have one meter. Ours seem to multiply like rabbits.

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

I have read all of the replies and I am so confused about your attitude. Why would you think we would get a kick out of a disturbed 10 year old child who was left alone long enough to do serious damage and who potentially could have been really harmed himself if the microwave had exploded? Thank God he was not harmed or even killed by the microwave incident. I personally would never leave a 10 year old child home alone especially one that I knew had mental issues and I was supposed to be watching. This could have been such a greater issue than it was. I am also confused as to why your son's glucose meter was not with your son. If our D child leaves the house her meter goes with her. You expected us to get a kick out of this fiasco? Something is not right about this story and the child is not to blame... it is the adult who was supposed to be watching him and wasn't that is responsible. A ten year old child who is capable of doing this should not be left alone for a second, for his own safety if for no other reason. You need to look at yourself instead of the people you are taking issue with who have replied to you. Your reaction is not normative. This was a potentially fatal situation and you seem to be the only one laughing it up. :(

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that at 2 years post dx you only have ONE meter in your house. They go on sale for "free" just about every few weeks at all the major pharmacy chains (cvs, riteaid, wallgreens) I would watch the ads and stock up.

8. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

I'm done with this thread and I'm done with this board. Hopefuly those who are jerks (I have other words but I'll leave it at that) can get over your self rightous, I'm better than you attitudes and help those who need help on this board. Goodbye, have a nice life.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

You posted a sensational story of how your child's ONLY meter was microwaved by a kid you were babysitting after he trashed your entire house, said "we'd all get a kick out of this" - the title of this thread - and thought it was "funny" and when we all didn't laugh right along with it, you come back and chastise US?

Yeah, ok.

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

:rolleyes: Must have been the moon.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

But, but, but...I thought I was the mean one :rolleyes:.

12. danismom79

You edited the comment, but left this part? Yeah....

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

She edited all of her comments...

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

WOW!! When you post on a public forum, you need to be aware that you are going to get responses that you may not like!!!

Everyone has a different sense of humor, and sees situations differently. Personally, I see nothing funny with an upset 10 year old destroying your sons meter after you left him at your house alone. Sorry - call me a jerk, but that's just not funny to me.

15. danismom79

And she's still logged in to watch, so whatever. I don't get the point of coming back just to flounce. I wish I had that much time on my hands.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Carrie, as I said. I was honestly concerned about this boys behavior. My youngest brother was diagnosed with ADHD but back then, this was over 35 years ago, it was called hyperactive hyperkinetic disorder. Not only could he not sit still but he would go into rages:( He would go through the house throwing chairs down. He would slam his door many times. And he would hurt people:( He had so much trouble with controlling himself. He injured my other younger brother (he had to have stitches over his eye) From the behavior you described it seems like this little boy has many of the same issues. I dont think my brother was this out of control at age 10 though. He could be reasoned with somewhat by that age and would usually act rationally. Do you honestly believe that this boy you were caring for was acting at all rationally? And do you honestly feel that he would never do anyone any harm if he has that much difficulty keeping control of himself. Microwaving a glucose meter could be extremely dangerous and someone could have been badly hurt. That to me shows a serious lack of control or judgement even for a child much younger then 10.

I am sorry that you feel that people were being judgemental of you or this child but I dont see that. I see people being concerned for you and your children and your sons diabetes supplies. I am always paranoid that young kids coming to our house will touch and damage Stevens d supplies so make sure everything is put away. I know some kids are just interested in different things so will touch and play with.

I hope things are ok in your life Carrie and sorry if theyre not:(

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

Carrie I am sorry if you feel hurt by our responses to your original post. Editing your entry will not change what we read or the fact that what you posted as something we would get a kick out of was actually quite disturbing. You really need to sit and think about what you wrote and what our thoughts about it are. Luckily I quoted your original post so it is there for you to see. Leaving a mentally disturbed 10 year old child alone in a house is irresponsible. If someone thinks that is a mean thing to say, or judgemental, that is too bad. It is the truth as I see it. I also believe it is the truth as the law would see it. If something worse had happened YOU would be held legally responsible and you might even have had your own children taken from you. Being judgemental, that is, having good judgement, is not a bad thing Carrie. The judgement that you showed leaving this disturbed child alone, not taking your son's meter with you when you left the house with your son, posting the story here thinking we would get a kick out of it, your lack of understanding about why the story is disturbing to people, thinking you can wipe the story away by editing it, shows that your judgement is entirely lacking. Instead of leaving this forum in a huff you should be thanking people for reacting with concern for the child AND for you. You need to get a grip on reality. :(

Sometimes the hardest, KINDEST thing of all is to tell someone a truth that they can't see or don't want to hear.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  18. wilf

wilf Approved members

The reason a lot of people are posting here, is because it is obvious that you need help. You may not be ready to hear that, but it is clear to many of us that something is badly amiss at your end.

I would urge you to get the help and support you need. D management is hard enough, even harder when other challenges are present and cause cumulative challenges.

19. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Is this story for real?? I find it hard to believe the premise that you would leave any 10 year old unattended in a strange house, let alone one with behavioral issues who is obviously upset; that you would have one BG meter for a child who has been on the pump for some time, if any battery device is put in the microwave I think there would be an explosion at the most and a fire at the least. I can't think of any parent on this forum that would leave their home without a meter. My kid is 13 and can't figure out how to open the vacuum to change the bag, how could she throw the dirt anywhere? This is too bizarre for me, I can't find any humor in it. As far as moving on, it's hard to move when I am shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

20. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I was thinking last night when I read the original post about a 10 year old boy I used to watch who would have VERY violent fits and a load of other problems. I tried to talk to his mother about him, suggesting as gently as I could that something might be wrong and that his behavior was not age appropriate. She got so pissed and quit speaking to me. A year later she called me and let me know that he was diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD.

OP I really don't think anyone on this topic was being purposely unkind. I honestly think that everyone was coming from a place of concern and trying to help.