- advertisement -

Thought I'd update you on how I'm getting on

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by emm142, Sep 21, 2012.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing okay.

I've had a couple of messages asking how I'm doing, so I thought I'd post an update in case anyone is interested.

Diabetes-wise, things are getting a lot better. I've switched back to Novolog from Apidra and now things actually seem to make sense. Figuring out adjustments for the weeks I'm on the BC pill vs. the week I'm off it, as that affects things, but it is really encouraging that my adjustments actually work now.

I've been dieting as well, so I'm not sure if that has had a positive improvement on D stuff. I've heard a lot about how tough it is to diet with D, but I'm pleased that for me it actually hasn't been that bad. I started at 142lbs, not overweight (I'm 5ft 6) but I was gaining steadily. Just over a month in, I'm at 132lbs and I've been exercising a lot, which is good (physically and emotionally). Happy about that, especially if it's improved things with D. My meter average is now around 160, and it was over 200 before. Still some work to do, but I'm hoping in December my a1C will be back below 8.

Mental health stuff is more complicated, but I'm getting fairly intensive help and people keep telling me that's the most important thing. I'm seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis, plus having cognitive behavioural therapy, relaxation/meditation/general self-help exercises and anti-depressants.

I was previously on Citalopram, and I didn't know whether it had helped or not (I was functional, but barely and not able to do a lot) so psychiatrist switched me to Sertraline. In the week where I was coming off Citalopram and Sertraline hadn't kicked in yet my mood plummetted to the point that I was totally not functioning at all. Since I've been on Sertraline I'm back up to the point that I was at on Citalopram.

It's not great, I am generally functioning at quite a low level. I can just about get myself to work in the morning, but once I'm home I'm exhausted and I really need the weekend for recovery. It's hard to even describe how difficult it is, but I'm trying, and hoping that I'll be able to deal with the workload when I get back to university.

The problem is, I'm functioning at such a low level that it's really hard and sometimes impossible to put CBT and self-help stuff into action. I might be switched to another medication to try to get me to a point where I can respond to these things; will see at my psych appointment on 29th.

This has turned into a really long post; sorry about that. Just wanted to let you know how it's going, and recently I've been awful at replying to PMs (sorry!).

If anyone has experience with any of the stuff I've talked about, I'm (as always) grateful for any advice/support.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say sorry you are going through all that and sending positive thoughts your way. :cwds:

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I hope the new meds get you feeling better soon. You are actually accomplishing a lot in spite of your depression. Are there any meditation groups you could attend? I love meditation, but find it hard to do it on my own.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Dear Emm, I just wanted to say how brave I think you are and that, in spite of not knowing you face to face, we all care very much how you are getting on. Only a week before you can update your meds - I hope they can change it to make it easier on you. Are you getting a holiday before you start your studies again? I hope so - sounds as though you are really tired. I would be too with all your studies (and successes)
    xx Liz

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks Chris. :cwds: Hope all is well at your end.

I'm not sure about that. I'm finding meditation quite difficult (as soon as I start my anxiety levels ramp up massively) but I've figured out that if I exercise to the point that I can barely stand, I'm chilled enough to deal with it. So it's a case of 30-90 minutes of intense cardio before I can deal with it. I'm not sure if that's bad or whatever, but works for now. I am not sure if a group would help though as I have pretty bad social anxiety so being around other people might make me freak out even more, haha. Possibly something to think about once I've got the technique down and am looking for ways to motivate myself, though. Thanks. :)

Thanks Liz. :cwds: I went on holiday with my family for a couple of weeks in July; I've been working full time since then so I can afford uni this year, but I have 4 days off next week (to pack for uni). I go back on Sunday (30th). But when I get back I have 4 days or so before lectures start... Maybe I can sleep then? :p

Went on a 17 mile bike ride today, so hopefully I'll sleep well tonight. :)

6. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Thanks for the update.
    Maybe a change in meds will help. When I first went on antidepressants the first ones they gave me left you feeling like you describe. I could force myself to do what had to be done, but that was it. When I changed it was a lot better. There are alot of different meds out there, some work better than others.

7. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Emm, I'm so glad you updated us. I have always admired you for your courage and bravery. We all care about you and I will certainly be keeping you in my prayers.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

How did your appointment go Emma? I hope all is well. :cwds::cwds:

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks everyone for your messages. :cwds:

I have been moved from 100mg Sertraline per day to 200mg per day. As of yet, I haven't seen much of an effect, but it's only been less than a week so hopefully things will start to improve. The psychiatrist wants me to be on this dosage for at least 7/8 weeks before we decide whether it's working (this is the highest safe dose of Sertraline). If it doesn't work, I think we'll be looking into other meds but he's trying to give SSRIs the best go possible because of side effects etc. from other drugs (plus apparently they can be unpredictable with diabetes?).

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Oh Emma I havnt been on here in forever. I am happy you are seeking help. Asking for help is very hard