- advertisement -

Thought I'd introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ChristineJ, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Hello, everyone! I've been reading for a little over a month, gaining an education on D in children from the real-life perspective of the parents and other posters here on the forum. I am an RN and the mom of a 9.5 year old boy that 's recently been diagnosed with D. Initially the diagnosis in Oct. 2010 was T2 based on family history and his fasting BG/glucose tolerance test results. Additional testing came back positive for T1 antibodies and his dx was changed in Dec. 2010 to T1.

My son's pedi endo team feels that we've caught this very early and have not started him on insulin at this point. His own insulin production, though not enough to keep BG's in normal range, is still fairly high. They actually have ds on metformin at this point, as they feel he has "mixed diabetes" (also called "hybrid" or "T1.5") with the autoimmune process of T1 and the insulin resistance of T2. We are monitoring BG's to determine if/when he will need to be started on insulin.

His bloodwork also came back borderline positive for adrenal antibodies, but additional adrenal testing was "normal" per endo. As if all of this wasn't stressful enough, in Dec. 2010 my ds was also dx with sleep apnea. We were referred to an ENT, and my ds will be going in for tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy in mid-February.:eek:

I've been learning so much from this forum and it's been helpful to have a place to go for information and to draw on the experiences of others. I've especially enjoyed reading the threads of parents whose CWD was dx'd early or have insulin resistance in the mix. As a single mom with no family for support, it's nice to not feel so alone with this!:)

Christine

2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Welcome to the group. So many of our kids end up in the ER right at T1 onset because of a delayed diagnosis but your son is lucky to have you as a mom and an RN. You are already ahead of the curve - so to speak.

Take care and come back anytime. This group is a little quieter on the weekends then during the week.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Hey, welcome!
    Just for my own curiosity, which antibodies is he positive for?
    How is he handling the diagnosis, the metformin, the bg checks, and the change in diagnosis?

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Welcome Christine! There is a lot of diversity here, I am sure you will find other parents in similar circumstances. There are lots of single parents here for sure. It is a wonderful place. If you don't hear from parents of 1.5's in this post, you might want to try posting in the general forum (more traffic).

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome! You are not alone in this journey!

6. ChristineJ

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome!

Jonah-----Ds is positive for anti-insulin antibodies and anti-GAD65 antibodies. He is starting to feel better (or at least not so bad) but at first he was very upset. He would cry to me "I don't want to have diabetes!". He was really scared with the first fingerstick in the endo's office, but he's gotten so that now he just sticks his hand out for it.He's doing well on the metformin with only slight GI side effects.

I don't think the change in diagnosis really means anything to him at this point, in the sense that he hasn't made the connection. Since he doesn't need insulin right now, his treatment hasn't changed. I'm not avoiding discussion about injected insulin, but I'm also not overly focusing on it either. He has chronic depression and anxiety, so I don't want to increase his stress unnecessarily since there's no way to know how quickly this will progress. He does have two kids with T1 in his class at school, one with a pump and one on MDI, so he has some familiarity with T1 and its treatment.

Christine

7. txmom

txmom Approved members

New to the forum

Good morning
    I am new to the forum. My son was diagnosed T1 one year ago. He is 16 now, plays ice hockey and golf on the high school teams....and drives.

I am starting to think about the transition to college - seems early to plan for this but I want to be sure he can care for himself before he leaves home. He does all the carb counting now (calls sometimes from friends houses to confirm), he tests when he plays hockey and eats as necessary so he can continue to play.

Glad to have found this forum.

8. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

My daughter who is now 23 had sleep apnea when she was 3. She had her t/a out back then and it never came back. She had a really hard time breathing and was getting so thin! She has been fine since the surgery, worked like a charm.

9. ChristineJ

That's good to hear. As scary as the idea of surgery was, the idea that his breathing was impaired (and the decreased oxygen levels that go with that) has been even scarier. His surgery was only on Tuesday so he's still healing but already there's a noticeable difference in his breathing while he sleeps.

From what I've read behavioral issues are often significantly improved by the surgery. In my son's case that would certainly be an added benefit! :)

Christine