- advertisement -

Those with older kids who check in class-how do they clean their fingers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Sep 2, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

alcohol swabs, wet wipes, etc?

In elementary school all classrooms had a sink in the classroom (and two bathrooms). So convenient for washing hands before blood checks.

No sinks in the class in middle school. I know neither option is optimal, but what works for your child? Ideally she would wash hands after lunch before going back to class so at least there wouldn't be food residue, but I know that she's not going to want to do that and if she does at all it will only last a few days before she stops doing it.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

:eek: Uh, she doesn't, unless, like you said, she has food on them.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I suspect the honest answer for a lot of self-managing kids is "saliva." :rolleyes:

Actually, it would kind of interesting if someone did a study as to how well saliva cleans a finger for a BG check if nothing has been eaten recently. Obviously, that's not the solution you're going to offer your daughter, but I'm bored this afternoon and pondering all sorts of useless things. ;)

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

If there is no access to a sink then they will use an alcohol wipe or sanitizer. If that isn't there.. then, yeah.. nothing.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Same at our house. Sigh....

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

he doesn't clean them:eek:- if the meter shows a really hokey number and he has called me about it I'll ask him to go to the washroom and clean them and try again but other than that it's a simple poke and go.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I put Wet Ones in DD's backpack, but I'm pretty sure 9 out of 10 times she doesn't use them.

8. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

alcohol swabs

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

L wipes off the first drop of blood and tests the second drop that she squeezes. She has been known to wipe the first drop off on the underside of a dark shirt bottom or the underside of her dark-colored pant leg.:p It works for removing sugar contamination with the first drop--we've tested that hypothesis and it works. ETA: if her hands are obviously dirty/sugary--then she'll wash her hands in a sink...but it's rare that her hands actually look/feel dirty/sugary.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He probably swipes the finger on his pants, if he does any sort of cleaning at all.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Ditto. Alcohol swab if she thinks she might have any residue that would affect #s.

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I cut baby wipes into eight squares (so just the same size as an alcohol pad), put in a little ziplock baggie they sell in craft stores just that size. So in his meter case he always has this little bag of wipes that he uses whenever he checks at school or elsewhere.

13. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

lol yup.

I'd be tickled to think Bobby cleans his finger first, but realistically I think if he even licks it first we're ahead of the game. :eek:

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, er. Nothing. ;)

Unless my fingers actually have something on them, in which case I pop out and wash my hands with soap and water.

15. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

He's supposed to clean them?? :rolleyes::)

16. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I never wash my hands before I test:eek: unless I have been eating/touching sugary food, if I think that my number was inaccurate I wash and test Again but that doesn't happen often

17. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

I have the opposite--my son freaks out if he thinks I haven't cleaned his finger enough, and I have to use alcohol swab--guess I've got a Diabetic germaphobe:rolleyes:

18. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I don't think my kids have ever cleaned their fingers prior to testing in 8 years- other than if the test is super HI without explanation....

19. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Ok, I was afraid that was the answer I would be getting. I'm going to put in alcohol swabs and maybe they will get used....and maybe not!

20. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I found the GermX sanitizer wipes on clearance for 50 cents a bag. I was all excited to find a real bargain on something we could use. Yeah, they're in the D supply cabinet.:D