- advertisement -

Those with Kindergarten experience or about to start???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adinsmom, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

How did you work out bg checks? Were they done in the classroom or ? What about when they felt low what was the procedure? Who administered the bg check?

Adin can not tell when he is low anymore. :( He is completely hypo unaware. He goes to a wonderful preschool at the moment where the teachers are all trained and look for signs of him being off. His future k class will have one teacher and one classroom aid and way too many students (36 at last count) for me to rely on them being that in tune. We will of course figure out a testing schedule but what about those suprise hypo's? *insert cringing smiley here*

2. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We'll start 4K this Fall so I met the teacher to go over everything so I didn't have to stress about it all summer, because I would have ha.

I asked her what she was comfortable with and she said she would test him in the classroom, basically do all that needs to be done in the classroom. It is a private school, not funded by the government at all so we don't have a 504. Her husband has Type 1, so she knows about lows/highs etc. She wanted me to send her info on his pump and cgm so she could learn more about them over the summer and take a class.

Maybe meet with them and see what they are comfortable with. Is is private or public?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack is also completely hypo unaware, and as far as I can tell, completely unsymptomatic in the hypo range. We relied on the CGM quite heavily in this regard. We also, frankly, had to adjust our standards, and he ran higher at school than I would ever let him run at home.

He went down to the nurse's office to check, even when he alarmed low. He goes to a very small school, and the nurse was two doors down from the classroom. You cannot believe how busy school nurses are, and it just wasn't practical for her to always come to him, so the procedure was to send him to her, as long as he was acting fine (as he always was). If he did display symptoms, an adult was to accompany him to the nurse's office.

4. susan

susan Approved members

Davis just finished Kindergarten too and I agree with this, except he isn't on a cgm..He goes to a very large school though and the nurse was extremely busy, so it wasn't possible for her to leave to check him..Davis had a buddy walk him to the health room unless he was showing symptoms of a low and then an adult went with him..His teacher also has a type 1 daughter so she was wonderful and did the 1st morning check in the classroom..She would treat if she needed too and then would send him to the nurse..Davis was tested at 9am, he had pe at 9:15, at lunch which was 11:20 and afternoon snack 1:20 and then any other time he felt he needed to be...He also has a 504, will adin be going to a public or private school?

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Adin will be going to a public school.

They already politely asked me about the possibility of enrolling him in a school that already has a nurse since the one he will be going to doesn't. :( I declined.

6. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

David will be finishing first grade this year. Luckilly he does feel most of his lows still and if feeling low the nurse will come to him and test in his classroom. His teacher has a bag of low bg supplies I gave her and she will treat the low while the nurse is on her way up. If the nurse happens to be treating another student then one of the office secretaries will go and get him. During lunch he comes down to the nurse's office to have his bg checked. We have it written into his plan that he is never to walk anywhere alone if he is feeling low.

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony will be in kindergarten this year, so nervous! We only have half days so I am trying to get him in the morning class cause if he's low, it's usually afternoon or evening. So far that's the only brilliant thing I've come up with lol.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

K was some time ago for us, but this is what we did:

How did you work out bg checks? Had set times that the nurse came in to check.
    Were they done in the classroom or ? Classroom
    What about when they felt low what was the procedure? Nurse would either come in or an adult would walk her to nurse.
    Who administered the bg check? Nurse

what about those suprise hypo's? Teacher was given hints on what to look for. For the most part, it went very well.

There was also a teachers aid in class which helped. She was not a 1 on 1 to Abby, but she kept an eye out.

36 is way too many! I would request an aid to be in the class.
    We had our endo write a letter stating she needed to be in the am class as she was hypo unaware in the pm. If they could not provide an am time slot, she was going to need a 1 on 1 aid. We got am no problem:)