- advertisement -

Those were the days, my friend, I

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lawana, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Going through some things today, I came across BG logs from when dd first came home frome the hospital after dx. During the first week, Lantus dropped from 18 units to 9 units. There were also logs from a few months into D. No BG higher than 150, Lantus = 3 units, no Humalog at meals. A1c 4 months after dx, 5.2. Some honeymoon.
    We just had our highest A1c ever, due to all the holiday food and a completely unexpected growth spurt (thought she was done, based on xray showing growth plate almost closed over a year ago.) She is now 5'6".
    Those were the days. I miss the honeymoon.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Looking at old log books

I'm with you there. Looking at our first log book is funny in retrospect.

All readings are plotted on a graph with little notes annotating the peaks and valleys, scheming about why they occurred, how to avoid them next time.

However the "peaks" we were concerned about were the post prandial "spikes" of 150 :p.

Those were the days!:cwds:

3. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

The end of dd's honeymoon came during a vacation at WDW. At the time, she was getting 1 unit of Lantus (or maybe none, we differ in our memories) and no Humalog at mealtimes. As long as she ate a low glycemic index diet, the highest numbers we saw were in the 150's, and, as you say, were post prandial. We searched out a restaurant that served "real" food and went there for every meal. Second day in Magic Kingdom we got a number in the low 200's. We totally freaked. Didn't have any Humalog with us in the park. Practically ran to the train to get back to the hotel. From that point we saw a continuous rise in the need for insulin. Now our TDD is around 55 units, which is, as our CDE reminds us, well within normal range for a 145 lb. adolescent.

4. Boo

Boo Approved members

I can totally relate to this thread! My son is 6 years in now, and is 14 going through full-fledged puberty. We also had our worst A1C ever during our last doctor visit.

I just typed on another thread that we had very few highs over 300 in the first 2 years (really not all that many in the high 200's either). Now, those numbers are regular occurrances around here. :(

5. Toni

Toni Banned

I still remember endo calling us and telling us we should not have called the emergency line because her blood sugars were in the 280s and not coming down with corrections. Poor resident, but we were in a panic. Nobody warned us to expect high numbers that would not come down after honeymoon (CDE left employ). Took a while to figure this out, even after we went on the pump.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We never had that after the hospital but I look at our first log book and I think OMG 357 EVERY DAY??!! followed by 78's. I love lookign back at that first little book though - I feel like we've come such a far far way since then.