- advertisement -

Those on the Omnipod....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I didn't think you were trying to be Snarky:cwds: It looks like it says "Lite" to me too:confused: I said they were blue because that's what the guy said when I called... All I know is that if people are using test strips that say Lite, they are the wrong ones and they need to switch:(

Edited to add that that is pretty LAME of Abbott to make the vials look the same:rolleyes: What are they thinking???

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Thank you ... that's what I've been saying for some time now.

I am really, really starting to wonder if this is the cause of much the "30 points low" problems reported with the new strips on the PDM. I'm hoping not though.

EDIT: ... and another thing, unless there's a compelling financial reason why even risk it and use the Lite strips when both manufacturers say they don't work? I'm really, really confused by the endo/CDE that said to use them.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is what I am wondering as well, which is why I started this thread. We had always used the Freestyle strips as that was what was indicated for the PDM.

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Yes it does. Sorry for the small photo. I can find lots of pictures of the box but only this one of the actual vial. It does say "lite" under "Freestyle"

BTW, correct me if I am wrong but I think the reference to "lite" actually refers to the meter. There are 2 of this type. One is the Freestyle with 2 buttons on it and the other has 3 buttons, one of which is a light that you can turn on to view the strip when it is dark. The "lite" refers to the meter that has 3 buttons so perhaps the Freestyle and the Freestyle lite strips are one and the same.

5. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

We are using the butterfly strips and have been for several months. When we started I compared about 50 or so BG readings between PDM old strip and PDM new strip and Lite Meter new strip and found any differences to be negligible.

No change in A1C.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This is how they got rid of the coding, they all have the same code. You don't have to code it in the meter. Its preprogramed. ;)

7. Flutterby

I know the difference between the strips. The lite strips are no longer in a blue container, they are in a white container with a yellow label, all coded with #16. When they switched to the new butterfly (zipwick) strips the containers went from blue to yellow.. so there is little difference now between the containers, and you have to read them, not just go by the colors. FYI the container of strips that come with the PDM are white, and simply say freestyle strips, with code 2.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  8. Flutterby

You are confused. Read the picture Jeremysdad put up, it says lite right under it. He, like he's said many times, is using the lite strips in the PDM.

9. Flutterby

The freestyle and freestyle freedom use the regular freestyle strips (either the old ones or the new butterfly/zipwick). The LITE meter does have a 'light' on the end of it. But why would they have completely different strips for that one meter? It doesn't make sense. Does ANYONE see code 16 on the butterfly/zipwick strips for the freestyle (NOT the lite). Maybe this is the difference, maybe ALL code 16 is labeled for the LITE only, and there is no code 16 for the regular freestyles..

That said, I still say a large (and very consistant) difference between Kaylee's LITE meter with the LITE strips and the PDM with the LITE strips, consistantly 30pnts different (PDM with LITE strips is ALWAYS lower).. However, if I use the regular freestyle strips (the ones that came with the PDM) and use her LITE meter with the poper strips, I get close to the same number. So, there HAS to be something different, what, I don't know.. Oh, and I made sure I changed codes.. I also have done all four tests with same poke, and I've done different pokes.. I get the same results, the PDM with the LITE strips is consistantly 30pnts lower, that can make a HUGE difference in treatments.

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

What code do you use?

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That's what I don't get either. Why not just use the correct strips in the correct meter? Seems to me to be the one way to be assured that the readings are accurate.

12. Traci

Traci Approved members

These are just a few quotes showing that both Abbott and Insulet are very clear on which strips to use with the pdm. I'm not sure why there is any debate still going on. :confused: Both websites even have pictures of the boxes. We can discuss this until our fingers fall off from typing, but it's not going to change which strips are approved (the regular ones), which strips are probably ok but still pending FDA approval (the zipwick ones), and which ones are not compatible and could possibly or probably give you wrong results (the LITE ones which are ONLY for use in the LITE meter--which is not to be confused with the flash meter that has a LIGHT;)).

Good grief...doesn't Abbott realize they are dealing with sleep deprived parents who need clear differentation on this stuff?!

13. Heather(CA)

"Lite" reffers to specifically to the Freestyle Lite meter. The Freestyle Flash meter also has a light, the claim to fame with this meter was that you didn't have to code the strips. I specifically asked whether the strips would work with both meters and Abbott said no. Both the "Lite" strips and the Freestyle strips for the Flash/PDM have the new tapered end with the butterfly on them. BUT, only the plain freestyle strips that are meant for the Flash meter are comparable with the Pod. You are using the wrong strips.

14. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I know nobody cares, but this is all horrible product management from the manufacturer.

If the strips are not compatible, they should be made physically incompatible with the meter so you can't put the dang strip in.

If they make a separate kind of strip, it should be given a totally different name to avoid confusion.

Right now we have two different strips with nearly identical names, and are physically compatible. No wonder people are confused! All this is just a pulled grenade waiting to go off.

15. Flutterby

I went looking for the like button. ;)

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

Thank you. That was the whole purpose of this post - to get all of the comments in ONE place so that people can see it all in one post. I was getting so confused reading all the different posts that I thought I would start one to find out, once and for all, exactly who was using what. What you said above summarizes my feelings exactly.

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

These are just a few quotes showing that both Abbott and Insulet are very clear on which strips to use with the pdm.

I have to say that in my experience with Abbott and Insulet, until recently, they have been stunningly unclear about which strips to use in the PDM. When we started using the Omnipod, we continued using our Accu-chek meter and the supply of strips that we had.

By the time we used up those strips, we learned of the "butterfly" strip issue. I spent hours on the phone with Abbott on this issue. The reps that I originally spoke with on the phone were unable to determine if the strips I had were the "new butterfly" strips or the "old classic" strips by me reading NDC codes, lot numbers, describing the box, etc. They said that because there was a butterfly on the box, they must be the "new" strips. Only after I exchanged my strips for "classic" ones did I realize that I had the classic ones all along -- and that both boxes have a butterfly on them.

Only later did Abbott post pictures of the new zipwik strips and the box (butterfly on the strip and larger butterfly on the box).

When I spoke with the folks at Omnipod on this most recently, I was told that it "might" be necessary to "calibrate" the new zipwik strips for the Omnipod -- not sure what that really means.

After reading this thread, however, I'm wondering how many folks have been getting funky readings by simply using the incorrect "Freestyle Lite" strips and whether any calibration is necessary.

I am looking forward to using the new zipwik strips.

18. Flutterby

Yup, I don't get it either.. to each their own, I guess. We are currently using the PDM, with the correct freestyle (old) strips. Once those are gone we'll go back to using her freestyle lite with the lite strips and mannually entering in the bg to the PDM. Its not that the freestyle strips are more expensive, its that I don't want to be bothered by changing her script every few months because the pod will be use on a part time basis. Sticking with the lite is just so much easier that messing with insurance and perscriptions. But if we were changing over for good, I'd change the script and use the correct strips.. a constant 30+pnt different WILL make a difference in A1c results and over all management.

19. Heather(CA)

I think some people might be thinking that if they are the new butterfly strips with the tapered end, they are "Lite" strips. That is not necessarily true. They could also be the regular flash strips. Make sure it does not say Lite on the box.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

I TOTALLY agree!