- advertisement -

Those of you allowing Overnight stays...etc

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 24, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I'm assuming your child is independent to figure out his carbs and give themselves the shot?...Unless they are all pumping?...and since all of you are still checking through the night the BG, is that something you expect the other parents to do, or you let it slide while they are away???

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Cass only stays overnight with family right now because she won't give her own shots. I don't test every night, just when we're changing ratios or something, or she's been having wonky numbers. But, for instance, right now, we're having some weird highs, which means I have been testing, but since I have a sleep study tonight, she's staying with my cousin, and I won't ask my cousin to check her in the middle of the night unless she's low/dropping...

Cass starts the pump in a week and a half and then about two weeks after that she is going to be entering middle school, so I'm sure we'll encounter the sleepover at friend's issues.

I wouldn't ask the other parent to give shots or do checks, unless they were close friends and had shown an interest in Cass's diabetes care, or unless the parent made it clear that they would have no problem with giving shots.

I think, unfortunately, for D kids that sleepovers generally won't happen unless they are able to perform their own diabetes care.

3. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris is pumping. He figured his own boluses even before he was on the pump.
    In fact, he won a bag of apples at our local JDRF walk for knowing the correct carb counts of the most foods. He was eleven at the time, but has always been good at math. He doesn't care for sleepovers, but we have allowed him to travel independently on a few occasions. We usually check at night, but will set his pump to allow him to run a little higher if we won't be around. He will stay up and wait it out if things are going badly. He always has his cell phone and will call if he needs help. Once on a trip, his PDM failed and he had to program a backup with us talking him through it (insulet sold backups for a lot less back then).
    Many kids here simply call home for their boluses. Unless their is a lot of physical activity it is unlikely they will go low. Sleepovers usually mean pizza.

I think a sleepover on a weekend is workable. Some parents have stopped by at midnight to check and make adjustments. If things aren't going well, you just bring them home. Some have also picked them up, then brought them back the next morning.

Of course YDMV. There have been weeks this past year with puberty that I didn't want him out of my sight during the day!

Good Luck!

4. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

My dd has spent the night away three times now at her best friend's house. This after she started the pump. The main reason that I feel comfortable with her going to this particular friend's house is her mom is as anal as I am about things. :p This mom will get up in the middle of the night at midnight and 3 a.m. to check her just like we do. In fact, my dd's numbers do better at her house overall than they do here. I told the mom one time not to make us look bad. ;)

This is another YDMV. I think it is mostly based on your comfort level.

5. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Bobby had to know basic carb counting and handling his own shots before I let him have his first sleepover after dx.

I wouldn't feel comfortable asking other parents to take that on (family or really close friends, yes - but just typical buddy's parents for sleepovers, no.)

I don't ask other parents to do middle of the night checks, Bobby just sets the alarm on his cell phone for 3am (or whatever time we agree to check, since a lot of sleepovers they're up all night!) and then texts me the number.

6. L101418

L101418 Approved members

My older daughter went to sleepovers pre-pump, she was 14. She was allowed to go when she could give herself injections and eventually she even figured out how to give the Lantus shot by herself in the booty. Sleepovers were a great motivation for her. My younger daughter was no comfortable. On injections they had to call by 9:00am with a wake up number. I'm always available for carb help. Both girls do sleepovers now. I do not ask the parents to check at night. The kids are usually up late anyway. I ask the girls to call me with a 10:00 check and we discuss what to do and I ask them to check before they go to sleep. We shoot for a higher bedtime number (130-150) and 1/2 corrections if high. And there is almost always pizza, cake and ice cream so that makes me feel a little better.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Zoe stayed overnight with one family only (the moms went to a course on their own so that they could understand better how to care for zoe)-unbelievable, huh? They got up and checked her with finger checks, Dex readings, all of it, and called me with any issues. Now she goes with others, but she keeps in contact and texts me her numbers. She will set an alarm and get up if needed. It's a lot for an 11 year old, but worth it to spend the night with friends!

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler stayed overnight at friends houses long before he was completely independent with his diabetes care.

When he was on NPH, I would go at bedtime to give his shot, and then go again in the morning (with Dunkin Donuts for the parents) do do his NPH and Novolog in the morning. There were also a few parents that were willing to give his shots...once he started with the pens it was much easier for someone to give him his shot and before long he was doing them himself anyways.

Carb counting is pretty simple, so most parents can catch on pretty quickly...and I am always just a phone call away to answer questions.

As far as testing goes during the night, when he was younger and sleepovers were not as frequent, I would have him test before bed and have him run a little higher than I would at home....now that he is older and does sleep overs more frequently, he tests before bed and then again when he wakes up...they go to sleep much later now that he is older so there really is that long of a time period that he is sleeping anyways:rolleyes:
    (He texts me before bed and then again when he wakes up)

Honestly Tyler has slept over more friends houses than I can count:eek: (since school has been out mid June he has spent more nights away from home than at home), gone away for weekends with many friends families too.

You need to do what works best for you and your child

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I'm assuming your child is independent to figure out his carbs and give themselves the shot?...Unless they are all pumping?...and since all of you are still checking through the night the BG, is that something you expect the other parents to do, or you let it slide while they are away???

Ashleigh is pumping right now, but did go on overnighters while doing shots. I do the carb figuring out at our house, but when she goes to friends she does it on her own. She knows how to weigh the food and figure out carbs that way. There are times though she may have to call me and ask what a certain food's carb factor is.

I do not expect the other parent to check Ashleigh in the middle of the night, and have never even asked one to. I give Ashleigh my cell phone and I call her usually at midnight and 3-4 am to do a BS check. I also call right before I go to bed (usually 10pm) and about 8 or 9am to get a morning BS check.

10. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

We get through sleepovers with lots and lots of texting!! Andrew texts me when he is going to eat so I canhelp him figure out carbs - he has only slept at a few different families homes since dx (we usually try to have sleepovers at our house, but sometimes he likes to go to their homes), and the moms have always been so understanding if I need to ask them questions about the food they cooked so I can figure out carbs. As far as middle of the night checks, at Andrew's age, the kids stay up late for sleepovers, so he will text me his # right before they go to sleep - usually around 1 or 2 AM. If he doesn't txt me, I have my alram set and I will txt him - which wakes him - and he tests. He has been great about it - he gets that the better he is at taking care of himself when he is away, the more comfortable we will be with him being away from home and giving him more freedom. He is hoping to go on the 8th grade spring break trip this year - 5 days away from home!!! I am almost hyperventilating just thinking about it:eek:

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

What an angel!

12. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Great question! Caitlin just stayed overnight last night and I just hung up from talking to her. She can count carbs and give herself her shot. She is in Advanced Math class and it is her favorite subject (thank goodness!) so figuring out the carb to ratio came easy to her ( again, thank goodness!) After she was diagnosed it took just 2 weeks and then she stayed overnight at the only place I would let her at that time, my very best friend's house. She and her husband were so very supportive when Caitlin was diagnosed. But now Caitlin has slept over 2 other girls houses. I have not asked anyone to check Caitlin, I call to remind her about taking her Lantus and a few times to see what her numbers are. Last night was the first time that I almost went and got her. I took her there at 5:00pm at 10:00 she tested and she was 207 which she hasn't been that high for over a week. So because it was warm out and her friend lives on a quiet street they walked up and down the street in front of her friends house so she could bring her number down. But she also took a correction shot. So, sure enough 30 min. later she was dropping and still dropping over an hour later. I had her keep testing every 20 min and then calling me. Finally at midnight she was stable. And at 2:00 I called and she was at 96. So I let her stay. But typically she takes care of herself while checking in with me. Sorry my answer is so long!!!:eek:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011