- advertisement -

This shows how ignorant someone can be about diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by sickofit, Sep 23, 2010.

1. sickofit

sickofit Approved members

A teacher at my daughters school was telling a parent of another diabetic child, that she has had other children with diabetes in her class, but they wore the pumps, so they were not insulin dependent! lol Wonder what she thought was in the pump? :D

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Now that you have identified this issue do you plan on speaking with the teacher to do some diabetes education with her so she is not so misinformed in the future? Just wondering.

3. sickofit

Right after this, diabetic training was done for all the teachers. BUT, Monday when I spoke to the Special Ed. Coordinator, I asked who would give Emily insulin if she ever became to high to administer it herself (she is a pumper, and is stated so in her 504.), and she told me the teachers were not allowed to do insulin because of the syringes. When I told her that Emily's insulin was in her pump, she was so shocked to find that she has her insulin on and in her at all times. I don't know if these people do not want to learn about diabetes or just do not listen to what we tell them.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, based on that reply clearly something is missing. I would first look at the "diabetic training" as the culprit. Who gave the training? What was the content of the training? Were all the appropriate staff in attendance? Things like that.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I agree with this. The training may not have been clear, especially if two people report not understanding what a pump does.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Just curious - how can a child be too high to administer insulin herself?

7. sickofit

When Emily's sugar is high, she gets confused, and sometimes doesn't even know what is going on around her. For example..About two weeks ago her pump was making an alarm sound that I had never heard. I asked her what it was doing and she said, oh thats not my pump, and she pointed to the empty corner of the room and said, he is making everyones cell phone and pumps make that noise! Scared me to death, so I checked her sugar and it was 409! She had no idea what was happening or what I was talking about!

8. sickofit

According to the school all of her teachers attended the training and passed a test after-wards. I asked for another test to be taken to see if they actually learned what was being taught or if they passed the test from memory, since it was taken right after the training.
    The training was given by a respected nurse form our largest hospital, but they asked that only part of the presentation be given, I also asked that all the presentation be given.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

There may be something else happening here. I'd check this out with your medical team.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would be very concerned if I were seeing cognitive impairment with high bgs. You should raise this with your dr.

But then, I can't tell how old your child is or when she was dxd - it's really helpful when that info is in the siggy.

11. sickofit

She just turned 13 Friday, and she was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago. Of all the info I have read on the subject it isn't rare for someone to be confused when their sugar is high or low.
    Her endo knows all about it, do you honestly think I would not have discussed everything with her dr. I feel as though you think maybe I do not take care of my child as I should, if I am wrong forgive me.

12. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My dd becomes confused and cognitively impaired when very high. She has trouble thinking and making a decision. Eyes are blurry - she says it feels like she's under a big pool of jello.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

If my child was high enough to be confused, I would pick her up from school - it is not something that I would expect a teacher to do. Worst case scenario, I would be on the phone with the nurse as I was driving there.

I also think that people were asking legitimate questions since most of us never see that type of reaction. They weren't attacking you...they were digging deeper. It's kinda what we do here!

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Confusion when high is one thing, but visual hallucinations are quite another. I agree that there may be something else going on here.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm not sure why you are reacting defensively to legitimate questions.

It is unheard of based on everything I've ever been taught, read, or experienced for a child to respond to high blood sugars with hallucinations. Even at the time of diagnosis when DD's blood sugars had been chronically HI for days or even weeks there was no sign of hallucinations. She was lethargic and tired, felt nauseous, was weak and could hardly walk. But she was lucid.

I am genuinely concerned that there may an underlying health issue not related to diabetes that is causing your daughter's reaction. I'd strongly recommend you should have it checked out. And if your medical team is suggesting that this is a normal response to high BG levels, then I'd be asking them for a reference where you can read up about it.

16. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Sometimes when he is extremely high, my son becomes very irritated, cranky and sometimes downright mean. Most of the time, it's the usual signs of when he was first diagnosed. We know that when he is impatient and flies off the handle about something that would normally roll off his back, then he is probably and have him check. Even at his highest, he never hallucinated or anything. The very thought of something like that happening scares me.

I'm sorry things aren't going well for you right now. :(

17. sickofit

I am sorry if I reacted wrong, I am so defensive lately about her from fighting with the school system! I don't really think she is hallucinating, but maybe hearing someone talk in the background and getting confused on what she is hearing. I will ask her Dr. about it and if possible I will let you know what he says.

18. sickofit

I would definitely be picking her up from school, but there is always the what if in my mind! I have also told them if it would happen to call 911 and I would meet them at the school or hospital.

19. sickofit

Emily says the same thing! Its the confusion part I am worried about when giving insulin at a high BS level. I do not want her to put in the wrong amount, or try to add to it thinking she has to add carbs or something.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members