- advertisement -

This is the thread for people who are upset by the Obama win

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lisa P., Nov 5, 2008.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Granted, you haven't stated anger at Obama per se, but because Oprah Winfrey decides to publicly speak about him on her show today and wore a shirt that said "Hope Wins" (shocking!:eek:) that upset you. I think you used the phrase "WTF????!!!!" I just have a hard time understanding why, I guess. Obama ran a very positive campaign and spoke about the issues. McCain and Palin, on the other hand, took every opportunity to personally attack Obama. I think that's where HOPE WINS comes from..........

2. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

See, I didn't take it that way at all. I don't care if Oprah publicly speaks about him and shows her support. I just didn't care for the "Hope Wins" as if to say "Dispair Lost". Like we weren't hopeful, too. I don't feel that McCain was about despair at all. Obama's whole campaign was about "change" and it's made to sound in the media that the only way change was going to occur was with Obama.

(of course I'm speaking as a McCain supporter here, but )I believe (IMO) that McCain was having to defend the lack of attention the media paid to some Obama issues. The media barely mentioned the fact that Obama broke his promise to the American people about campaign spending (just an example). As a Repub, I couldn't understand why more emphasis wasn't put on these types of issues and they were brushed under the rug. It's like McCain had to talk about it as if to say' "aren't you guys paying attention to these things?". It's like the media put him on a pedestal because he represented so much that that America wanted...geesh, if we can have a black man as president, there's no stopping what we can do! At least that's my impression on how the media portrayed things.

So, am I upset that Obama won? Well, I guess I'm upset that my guy lost. I'd be upset if it were Hilary or Biden. That's why I'm a republican.

Again, as I talked about in my first post, I'm upset that the media has made this about race. Was it necessary for the "Black House" comment or the African music being played with a pic of Obama and an American Flag. Why couldn't they have played God Bless American or something else.? I'm not blaming Obama's camp or his supporters. Since the begining, I blamed the press. I don't think both sides were fairly represented during the campaigns. It seems like a lot of "we looooove Obama, and that McCain guys is OK." So, that's why I'm upset.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

While I don't agree with what you said (shocking that I'm a Democrat! :rolleyes:;)) , it makes better sense to me now why you said what you said. It's hard to decipher what people are really trying to say when we only read one comment or another.

Thanks for the clarification! :cwds:

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Cool! Thanks :D

5. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

I am not so worried about Obama (even though that is bad enough), I am worried about both houses being under democrat control. I always believed things went a little better with a balance. Now I just see all my money going away towards people who decided not to do anything with there life and make bad personal decisions. I am hopeful that everything turns out for the better regardless of who one, I just doubt it will.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

But as of right now, they still aren't "filibuster-proof". So we are safe in that regards.

That said, I can't stand the fact that they use that approach to PREVENT things from being voted on. I say bring things up for a vote - if you are going to fillibuster then obviously you are going to vote against it. They use the filibuster so they aren't forced to make an "unpopular" vote and I don't like it - if you feel a certain way, then vote that way and stick by it - don't weasel out with technicalities.

Same with the votes for appointees - give them their vote

7. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I do respect it. I just want people to understand that every one has certain things they believe in and they will not wavier. I understand that you have a certian point of view and I do as well.;)

8. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

It isnt just Oprah though. Certain people are power by celebraties and dont have a mind of their own. So they listen to what Oprah who uses her show or Spike Lee or Susan S. or who ever else. What is upsetting the most is that no one was wearing a Clinton t-shirt moons ago or Bush or who ever else. They gave more coverage about Obama then Mccain. I dont like either I think Hilary would have the best job. Her husband did. And the fact that this forum was about people who are upset by the win, and those who are not upset are coming here to bash those who were. If you dont like something that is said you are on the wrong forum. I do hope Obama comes through otherwise thoughs who voted for him will be kicking themselves like Bush voters are!