- advertisement -

Thinking we may have a celiac diagnosis coming :-(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Apr 2, 2013.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

This is already very much how I cook. We're generally vegetarian, with occasional poultry or fish, and that accommodates 3 of the 4 of us pretty well. The hardest is my youngest, though, who is just very, very limited, so she has the parts of the meal that appeal to her and is welcome to make something for herself if she needs more. I look forward to the day when anything resembling a chef's salad will cross her plate! :) On the other hand, the fact that she only eats a few things makes carb counting pretty easy! ;)

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Thanks for this perspective. If we do need to go this route I forsee it being more difficult for us than for some just because my dd has always been a carb girl, so it would take some doing to rework that. But it's good to know that it doesn't have to be horrible!

3. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

So just to give a general update, after having written individual replies, the good news is that she's gained some weight and her BMI went up since her last visit (which is a good thing - she's was in the 2nd percentile for BMI last time), so those are good signs. Did the blood draw for the celiac screen after the appointment (with the best phlebotomist on the planet!!!), and should get results in 1-2 weeks.

The endo suggested that if the test is negative then we can try cutting gluten for a week or two just to see if it's a gluten or wheat sensitivity, even if not full-blown celiac, and that she also sees a lot of fructose intolerance, so that might be something to explore, too. I'm thinking if the celiac screen is negative then we may try a short gluten-free trial, and then go see a GI doc for further guidance as we work through other options if that doesn't give us answers. Might also consider allergy testing.

And, just because I'm feeling good about this, her A1c was 7.2, down from 7.4 last time, so that's more good news. And made some tweaks to basals and doses, so hopefully that will help us tackle the times of day that are more problematic.

Really appreciate everyone's responses. It's so good to have a community of people who get it! I really do need to get back here more often; if only that pesky thing called "real life" didn't take so much time! ;)

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Update - No celiac after all

Just wanted to give an update. We heard back from the endo on Friday with "TTG was solidly normal at 9, normal 0-20", so apparently it's not celiac, which is great news. We're doing a week or so of gluten free just to see if maybe it's a gluten sensitivity that's doing her in, even if not celiac, and will see what comes of that. But she's already made it clear that "if the worst thing that happens if she eats gluten is that she gets gassy and stomach aches, then she's not giving up gluten." We'll see how it works out.

Really appreciate everyone's input and support!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm really glad to hear this! It must be a huge relief for you! Hope you can find a solution that relieves some of her symptoms. :)

6. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Alexa doesn't have a celiac diagnosis but does have an intolerance that has become worse as she has become a teen. She has omitted gluten from her diet by choice and feels 100% better. Every she eats some thing with it, she ends up with a stomachache for hours so she says it isn't worth it.

You will find what works best for your situation. Best of luck and keep trying different solutions until you find one that helps!