- advertisement -

Thinking of switching pumps.......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Oct 20, 2012.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

We are facing the time to order a new pump, and I was hoping for some input :)
    DS is has had his current pump since early 2009 and I am embarrassed to say that I am not up on all that is offered now :eek: DH has read up on things a little....and seems torn between Medtronic ( which we are currently using w/o CGM...DS hates it) and Ping. Thanks in advance !

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If the remote would be a benefit then the ping might be an upgrade even with the dial up bolus feature. But if your child has or will likely have increased insulin needs then the 300u cartridge of the MM 723 revel might be the best choice since the ping holds only 200u , though I think it's actually more like 180u.

3. sweetkid4

Thank you for that info!! Any idea if you can link multiple meters to the ping?

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

You can only link one ping meter at a time.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We got the ping pump. Although, I do like the pump remote feature, I will admit that the dial up can be a bit of a pain. As my dd's insulin needs are increasing I wish in some way the option for a larger reservoir was available. After filling and priming the pump there is no way to get a full 200 units. Actually when you do fill it, before priming, it is not 200. Is there a way to have your son test out either pumps?

6. sweetkid4

Thank you.... This bit of info is helpful as well, we currently have 3 meters linked to his current pump and I have to say it really helps at school! Less room for error since he has 3 different people who help him throughout the school week.
    Thanks again:cwds:

7. sweetkid4

Hmm.... This is disappointing , lol...the bad things are out weighing the good for us. Thank you guys soooo much ;)

8. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

You answered your own question. If your DS hates the Medtronic, then go with the ping.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

He hates the CGM, not the pump, the way I read it.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

183u:eek:
    Annoying. They should at least advertise it as a 185u cartridge, at least that way it would be semi-accurate.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's hard enough to keep the "tank" full with 300u, I can't imagine how often we'd have to be paying attention and tossing an extra cartridge in her bag with only 180u. :( Shame that - I wonder if Animas realizes what a limiting feature the cartridge size is for teens?

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

It's sad really but the minimed and the animas are essentially the same as what you looked at in 2009. Minimed's revel has a few enhancements but is overall the same (good enhancements though, smaller dosing, IOB info on home screen) and the new linked meter is coming out soon. Animas is pretty much the same exact pump but with the ping meter and a color screen. Otherwise the pump programming itself hasn't changed one bit.

You could continue to stay with minimed but maybe check out the new dexcom when it arrives. Sadly also, no other pump is integrated yet and I'd going to be years before it happens.

13. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

You could be right.

We have Medtronic because of the bigger cartridge. My son didn't even want to look at any other pumps. He likes to eat alot and still be able to change every 3 days.:rolleyes:

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's something that's becoming reality to us now. Something so simple that is impacting a whole target group of users. I just can't believe that they continually overlook this feature...or lack thereof.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Does he want to switch? He might not want to relearn a new pump and deal with the new 'feel' on the body. Just something else to get used to, kwim? Unless he would want to try tubeless, I probably wouldn't switch.