- advertisement -

Thinking of switching from MM to Omnipod...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Feb 12, 2013.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

As summer is approaching we are again contemplating switching pumps from MM to Omnipod. My DS swims a lot and it is a pain hooking and unhooking the pump and giving the missed basal to prevent highs later on. I have the darnest time keeping him in range while swimming, (he's often in range from the activity), but then later on he has massive highs from the missed basal. We were thinking it would just be easier to manage with Omnipod...not to mention, no more tubes and pump packs etc.

Otherwise we are happy with the MM, but the water/swimming is problematic for us. Can you only swim for 60 min with the omnipod, or can you swim longer. According to the website it's 60 min in up to 25 ft of water. We also have problems at theme parks with roller coasters. DS loves roller coasters and we always take his pump off (as per the manual), but then he has a lot of highs from the missed basals. Can you wear the Omnipod on roller coasters without disconnecting? I would think so b/c of the nature of the pump, but thought I would ask.

Has anyone made the switch and loved it? At first we dismissed Omnipod b/c of the pod size, but now that they are going to start with the smaller pods it is really intriguing to us.

Just wanted some feedback...if you use Omnipod do you love it? Would you ever go back to traditional pumps? If our MM is still under warranty, does anyone know if we could still switch? Or is it pretty standard to wait until your other pump is out of warranty?

Any info is appreciated...Thanks!:cwds:

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We did the cut the cord program last year. I think we paid $199 out of pocket for the Omnipod system, and our insurance covers the pods just like infusion sets. We did not have to trade our MM in, and in fact, still use it exclusively. (We're waiting for the smaller pods to give it a whirl.) But I'd probably never use insurance to pay for an Omnipod as long as they're running deals like that one. It's a pretty cheap way to give Omnipod a try.

We actually did it for the same reason as you - swimming.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

We were thinking of doing the Cut the Cord program too. You're right, it's a pretty inexpensive way to try it out. I, too, would like to wait for the smaller pods which the rep on the phone told me should start shipping out in March.

Did you try it out last year at all? Just curious if your son liked it.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You know, we didn't. He was interested in trying it, but I was still reading about people who were having issues with screwy pods, so we waited. And even though I'm not reading about those problems anymore, I just haven't gotten around to putting one on him. It seems like there's always something going on where I think, "Oh, today wouldn't be a good day to try something new. Maybe next week...." And then next week never comes. :rolleyes:

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

We switched from a Cozmo pump to Omnipod and love it! We spend a lot of time in the pool, at water parks, and at the lake. We just wrap the pod loosely with vet wrap and ds is good to go all day long. I typically leave the vet wrap in place until I change the pod, so water has had no impact whatsoever. I don't believe we've ever lost a pod due to water activity...maybe one in the beginning? Honestly, and I realize this is going to sound dramatic, but Omnipod changed my life. It made me not dread summers--and here in Texas, summer is March through November! My son can graze and bolus while we are on the boat without having to jump through all the hoops we used to have to go through. If the kids want to jump in the pool, he can join right in! At a waterpark all day? Wrap and go!

We've done Disney and Six Flags and have never removed a pod or lost a pod due to any ride.

We loved our old Cozmo pump and had planned to keep it until it was impossible to get supplies and/or it stopped working. One weekend on Omnipod changed our minds and we were instant converts. Ds has never been on mm, so I can't compare that part, but between our old pump (which, again, we LOVED) and Omnipod, there's no comparison...I'd never go back to a tubed pump. The pod size has never been an issue for my son.

Our old pump was still under warranty, so I just paid out of pocket for the PDM. Supplies are covered by insurance.

6. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

How is the adhesive? My daughter has an adhesive allergy, her pump sites haven't been a problem with Medtronic or animas but pods are so much bigger.

7. JQ33

JQ33 Approved members

We've done Disney, water parks and swimming lessons with the OmniPod with no problems (without needing vet wrap or additional adhesive.)

My son did eventually develop a lot of irritation with the adhesive, but putting Tegaderm underneath has solved that problem for now.

We have had issues with bad pods, but not enough to make us want to lose the convenience of having the pump attached while he's in and out of the water.

8. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have never had any issues swimming at Pools, beach or watwrparks. For all day swimming we tape the pod with a strip of Mefix tape.

9. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

We did the cut the cord program for the pod, to use in the summer for beach days, swimming, etc. Unfortunately, the adhesive is really rough on my dd's skin. She can wear one pod without a problem, but after that all he#* breaks loose. We've tried all of the spray/wipe on barriers (Allkare, Cavillon, Silesse, etc) with no luck. We've tried spraying w/ Benadryl/Cortisol first and then applying, no luck. We've tried a tegaderm on her skin, then the pod, no luck. I really wish it wasn't so because the convenience in the summer can't be beat. I hope it works out for you, and if you find something that works, please share!

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have not had a problem with the adhesive. For reference, I had to give up on the Dexcom (7+ and G4) due to an allergy that caused a rash that resembled a severe burn regardless of the use of steroid cream and about a million different taping techniques. I am able to use Medtronic sites such as the Mios as long as inserted on top of opsite flexifix.

I only use it occasionally (for ex. when wearing a dress that would not work with a tubed pump or a day at the water park) and I remove it before 48 hours is up. I personally couldn't see being able to use it for 72 hours consistently but I think it works for short periods of time occasionally. I could probably use it more consistently if I could figure out a way to prevent the adhesive from contacting my skin.

You can contact omnipod and they will send you a sample pod that has the same adhesive as the real pod to try it out.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

We haven't lost a pod in years ... since they changed the adhesive and I can't remember how long ago that was ... may three or four.

I think, like most things, it depends on the skin type. Our son is dry-skinned and everything sticks really well. Others have different experiences. I have no idea if that's a skin chemistry thing or perhaps soaps, lotions, etc.

12. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We didn't have an issue with the adhesive until about 6 weeks or more into using the pods. She has an itching problem anywhere except her arms then. Her skin is sensitive and dry, and we almost always put the pod on her arms using Sillese. She can wear it other places now with the Sillese but still likes her arms best. Tried lots of different products and tapes, but this is the best for her. We remove the pods with adhesive remover, slowly so as not to damage the skin. I actually cut out an oval from the paper backing and stick it back onto the adhesive before putting on the new pod, so that not as much adhesive touches her skin. This also helps it to come off easier when we are changing it out.

Changed from Cozmo which we also loved, and also had used Minimed. There are so many advantages to Omnipod, even though once in a while you have issues. It is no different than issues with tubed pumps, just different issues.

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Roo's Mom - duct tape! My DD developed nasty rashes underneath her Pods. We thought we were going to have to go back to the MM just so less skin was all torn up. Then she came up with the idea of trying duct tape, and did it on her own. She hasn't had a skin breakout since! It might not work for everyone, but it certainly does for her. You can even get the fun colors if you'd like. She just uses the silver kind - big roll for less than $10. Duct tape has been the Omnipod saver for us!

We, too, did the Cut the Cord promotion, and we've never looked back. We do have a few squirrely pods every once in a while, and when DD got a fleece North Face jacket, static started killing the pods. We spray the jacket with Static Guard now and the problem is gone. I don't think she'll ever go back to a tubed pump.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi,
    How does this work? Do you just stick the omnipod on top of a piece of duck tape on the skin and do the insertion on top of that? Or do you need to cut a hole for the cannula? My issue is that my skin gets an irritation like a burn around the cannula where I cut a hole in the opsite tape for the cannula if I leave the pod on for more then 2 days.

Thanks,
    Meg