- advertisement -

Thinking of swiching to the Accu-check Combo pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I took a look at it tonight and it is just about the same size and the Ping maybe slightly thinner.

I really liked that you can program it with different patterns that are %age based, so o a day that Grammy will be getting her and then taking her to dance I can just say use "Exercise 1" when blousing and I know she will get a reduced bolus based on the pattern, or if she has been running high choose the "stress" pattern and she will get more. I think this will be great for at school and can all be done from the remote.

It just has a lot of neat features and reminders too, that I think are easy to use and will be good for becoming more independent.

The remote was so much nicer that the Ping remote, and it is fully functional(the pump itself is rather ugly), I would not have to dig around to find her pump at night if I wanted to temp basal or change settings for the next day. The data information you can get on the meter was pretty great too. They had one info page that had the days of the week with the average BG, SD and how many times you tested. Having the SD would be great to be able to see easily and being able to see it by the day of the week I could fine tune all the better.

A problem I had on the Ping remote is losing connection with the pump while blousing and most of the time the bolus went thru all the way and other times it did not and there is no easy way to know without going thru several cumbersome status screens. The Accu check remote will not do this, once you hit bolus it goes and does not need to send a confirmatory "ping" back.

They are also partnering up with Dexcom, and offering a $500 credit towards supplies if you get both within a short time period. That totally works for me since we are now on a High deductible and with new insurance. I don't think that they have announced plans for a full integration to the pump or remote, but seeing marketing materials with them both makes me hopeful

I think I will be calling the rep for more of a demo tomorrow or Friday, she was supper nice and offered to meet me with me while she was in town.

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

The problem with that pump is that you cannot use the bolus wizard unless your *recently* tested using *their* proprietary meter.

Keep this in mind.

Good luck!

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am ok with that, I like the accu check strips much better than the one touch for the Ping. I like that the pump and meter/ strips are the same company, especially after this Omnipod/freestyle mess.

But thank you will have to explore that if I demo it with a rep.

4. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

We are using it for our DD and are very happy with it. Remote/Meter is really great, very accurate and the strip takes just a tiny amount of blood. Even the other features you have mentioned as very useful. The only complaint I have is that the pump menu (even when accessing through the remote), is not all that intuitive. Like, if you are in the middle of programming a basal profile, you cannot go to the previous hour if you need to, and you have to go round the clock to get there.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. andiej

andiej Approved members

We have the Accu Check Expert meter which i'm told is pretty much the same as the handset for the combo pump. It's great quality and the bolus wizard is good, however the reason we don't use it, is the amount of blood it takes and it doesn't give you time to add more. Though if you are already using a meter that takes a 0.6 blood sample with no problem it may not be a problem for you.

When we were discussing pumps with our DSN she said she had more patients using this pump than any other.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What happens if insurance refuses to pay for their test strips? Express Scripts, in particular, comes to mind.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I would just ask for Dr to write for medical necessity, willing to always advocate for what my kids need. Yah the whole "exclusion" stuff really rubs me the wrong way, but I have not heard an outcry here, so hoping that it is an easier fix than we think.

8. Joa

Joa Approved members

That is not correct. With the Aviva Combo and with the Aviva Expert you can always use the bolus expert without doing a test. But in that case, the expert does not calculate a correction bolus. The bolus recommandation for carbs is given as normally and if it is confirmed all data are saved in the meter.

But it is not possible to add a BG number without testing. :(

Regards
    Joa

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think the two of you are saying the same thing. I think moco89 knows that we have the Ping and I can input a BG at anytime to include a correction bolus even if I have not tested recently.

Could you do it in a two step process? can you do a correction bolus without testing and then do a meal bolus?can you have the pump give a correction bolus without testing or past the 15ish minutes
    that a test BG stays stored for use?

HMMM, I don't see that being a problem at school, because she tests at school. But I am wondering about at home, we often use the CGM number to reverse correct when she is having a snack. or sometimes when we swag, like last night, we will input CGM number and see if she needs more insulin to cover a BG that is higher than I want.

Will definitely have to play with it!

10. MomofSweetOne

Could a number be typed in from another meter if strips weren't available or covered the way we don't currently have to use a link meter or even the PDM's strips to work the other pumps?

11. Joa

Joa Approved members

Yes. But you have calculate the correction bolus yourself and to program it as a normal bolus.
    Yes. Just the same as before.
    No. The Aviva Combo or Expert are only feedable with their own test result BGs.

Regards
    Joa

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What about just from the Pump and not the meter/remote?

13. Joa

Joa Approved members

The remote(meter) is not necessary to operate the pump.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes, but from the pump alone can you give a correction bolus (reverse correction) and meal bolus at the same time by entering a BG that is not taken on the meter/remote?

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The pump has no bolus wizard. You can just enter units on it.

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thank you, Joa, for clarifying this. :cwds:

17. MomofSweetOne

My daughter was seriously thinking she was interested in the Accu-chek combo pump next time around, but I think not being able to use other strips if Accu-chek isn't covered will be a deal breaker. Strips are just too expensive to not have coverage for them.

18. Joa

Joa Approved members

I don't know the system of insurance you are with, but if they are covering a accu chek pump with the Aviva Combo as an functional system part perhaps the situation is different to the normal strip covering conditions? You probably ask for that?

Regards
    Joa

19. dianas

dianas Approved members

It's been several years since I looked at the Accu-chek combo pump but I ruled it out for this reason. There is no way to manually enter a blood glucose into the bolus calculator on either the pump or remote and have the pump calculate the dose. The only time a correction will be calculated by the system is if you use the Accuchek pump meter to test blood sugar. Anything outside of those parameters will have to be calculated yourself either in your head or using a separate calculator if you wanted to be precise. Once you've figured out the correction dose then you can use either the pump or meter and do a manual bolus. If I remember correctly you can also override the recommended meal bolus and change the dose manually to add or subtract the correction.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

GOSH I wish this wasn't the way it was set up! The pump has so many great features that will be useful. I guess I will just have to think about it a bit and see how often we really do use a number that is from the CGM and not a actual BG test. Once the CGMs make it to "finger stick" accurate I would think that they would have to change this type of thing.

I loved the exercise/stress options and that basal can go by .1's.

The rep today made it sound as though they are working on an upgrade, and I also asked about the Solo pump and she confirmed that it is not a Dead horse, looking at late 2015 to early 2016